hypothetically speaking

hypothetically speaking

July 18, 2007

Your 11yr old son walks by his much younger sibling and completely unprovoked reaches his out and smacks him on the arm. You send him to his room and say, “How would you like it if I were to smack you like that whenever I walk by you?”

And he responds, “Go for it.”

Do you:

a) Calmly and rationally explain to him the error of his response and instruct him to also contemplate this while sitting upstairs in his room.

b) Ignore him

c) Burst into tears thinking that you have created a heartless sociopath.

d) Go for it

Comments

1. Owlhaven says:

Go for it. Punching is guy’s love language. (Except when it isn’t.)

Of course if you TELL him you think punching is the way guys show they love each other, then maybe he’ll be so disdainful of the idea of showing his brother love that he’l quit punching him. (or maybe it will backfire and he’ll punch him twice as often.)

Who really knows?

Parenting would be a snap if we could just make siblings be nice to each other.

Somehow.

Mary, mom to about a zillion

2. deanna says:

go for it :)

3. bluepaintred says:

I choose D

4. Jeana says:

Go for it. But I say first ignore it, bide your time, then hit him when it’s unsuspected, like he did to the brother. And it goes without saying that while you’re plotting it out you laugh diabolically.

5. Mrs. Schmitty says:

I like Jeana’s answer. Wait until he least expects it.

6. Trish says:

I’d go for B - ignore him. I’d be so irritated by the little smartass that I’d hurt him if I punched him.

A is useless. Not C. I’d probably be laughing before I’d cry. He’s not a sociopath, he’s just 11.

7. jen from wyoming says:

GO FOR IT!!!!! :) Oooo….I like Jeana’s answer, too. When he’s least expecting it…WHAM! ;)

8. Tonja says:

D!!!!! I have two boys and the oldest (13) is always doing stuff to the youngest (10). The youngest never really does anything back, although he could probably do some damage. We’ve told the youngest just to beat the crap out of him one day when he’s messing with him like that. He has yet to do it, but when it happens, we’ll just stand and watch!
    I think it’s a sibling thing? I’m an only child so never had that kind of sibling “love”.

9. liza says:

When we were tweens my older sister had a thing about biting me when she was angry, annoyed, frustrated, bored, or, you know, I was breathing too loud.

Once she bit me so hard I had her teeth marks bruised into my arm.

When my mother got home and saw this, she bit her back.

Now, I’m fairly certain that she didn’t bite her that hard, and I don’t think this was the “best” way to remedy the situation. But I have to give her some credit because my sister never bit me again.

10. Gigi says:

Well, I always FEEL like bursting into tears when met with this type of response. I’m not the “go for it” type. Also not good with the calm. Or the ignore.
    That leaves e) go into “deranged mom” mode with much raising of voice and waving of arms and self-righteous indignation. Aren’t my children lucky?

11. Suzanne says:

e) Think about how my 8 year old sounds like your 11 year old and wonder, Man, if he acts like this at 8, what is he going to be like at 11?!?

Go for it!!!

13. Jess says:

Ok while I realize the correct answer is probably A. I would give D a long hard thought first.

14. jenn says:

D) as hard as I could.

Oh, I am a bad mother.

15. elizabeth says:

UGH - parenting after, oh - say, 3 yo - is HELL! Well, not everyday - but most. I am so struggling lately in being told what a horrible mother I am. Not in so many words but…

Thank you for sharing your life, as it touches on mine in so many ways, but your words are so much better, calmer, sane and wise - even in your learning something new every day. You know - I don’t even know if this makes sense… It’s one of THOSE days (daze.)

I feel the exact same way about my 12 year old. I actually asked my husband the same question the other night. Sometimes I wonder if he has any conscience at all. He does little mean things for NO REASON! Then he will say Oh Well like it was nothing.
    I would want to hit him, but probably wouldn’t.
    (which is probably why he does mean little things for no reason. If I would hit him occasionally, he would stop.

17. Kara says:

My kids are only 3 and 1 and I”m already dealing with this. When the 3 yr old pushes, hits, or otherwise is mean I say “Do you want me to push/hit/etc you?” And he almost always says “yes!”, of course I don’t think he understands yet and I don’t do it back (usually) I just explain not to do those things. But for a teen/tween I say go for it :D

18. Jennie says:

While D is the hilarious choice, perhaps a more effective response would be manual labor. Don’t all of your trash cans need scrubbing? If not, send him to my house.

19. Sherri says:

How about e)All of the above

I have an eleven year old……..

20. (other) chris says:

oooh, D, after time has passed, and with distinct relish!

21. CathyC says:

My 3 yr old does this to my 1yr, so I would have to choose A. Kids!

22. Alissa says:

definitely d… but definitely after stalking him… get em when he’s least expecting it… in the middle of a good movie.

23. nextcommercial says:

Wait…. at least one day….

Then calmly, and completely unprovoked. Smack him!!

Then, send yourself to your room to “think about what you have done”. Stay there long enough to read two or three chapters of a really good book. Beforehand, you should hide a snack (free of glutens of course) in the bedroom so you have something to eat while you are “thinking”.

Then come out and say “Sorry”

24. Lilly says:

It’s the talking back that would get to me even more than the hitting. I only have one so I’m not dealing with the sibling thing but whenever my son has talked back to me I’ve come down heavily and directly on him in a totally no-nonsense, you won’t be doing this again way and it seems to have worked.

Of course who knows what’s in my future. Maybe my no-sass-allowed ways will back-fire somehow when he’s in his teens.

25. lizinsumner says:

Eleven, did you say? I have a 13 year old…..sounds to me like the pre-pubescent, hormonal, (almost) teen-age, “hey look, I’m getting taller than you!!” my-attitude-sucks!! disease. If you find a cure, please email me immediately…..

26. Anna says:

I say “Go for it”!! I would and then maybe my other 6 boys will not try it.

27. Mama T. says:

My almost 10 year old step-daughter is in this painful habit right now of shoving, hitting or trying to kick her dad. As in, when he says something to tease her a bit or just messing around. But she does it with the intention to really hurt.

Last night, we were on a walk and hubby had our 2 year old DD on his shoulders and SD got mad and shoved him, almost sending DD to the pavement. Hubby lit into her.

Her response, “Can I go to my Mom’s tonight?” So frustrating sometimes….

(Mom is 1 1/2 hours away)

Let the mom vs. dad games begin.

28. Fold My Laundry Please says:

D, definitely D!

29. Dana says:

Being the mother of an 11 year old boy, I say Go For It!

30. Esme says:

I’ve run into this with my 13-year-old and my 11-year-old. And, ocassionally, my 9-year-old. Thank goodness, the toddler and the baby aren’t into it yet, but I’m sure they will be.

Anyway… first, I’d do A. Then, for several hours, I’d do B. And much later, when he’s not expecting it, I’d do D.

Really, the only one you shouldn’t bother doing at all is C. I know we only see what you choose to show us on your blog, but I think you’re a wonderful mom.

31. Therese says:

D when he least suspects it, and do it often. He wouldn’t dare retaliate with Mom. Try to leave a mark if you can. When we were younger, we used to punch someone with one knuckle stuck out a little farther than the rest. I forget the name of that, but it really hurt. Hey, payback’s a bi***!

32. diatribal says:

whack away!

33. Melissa says:

D will NOT WORK! When my husband smacks my rear-end too hard and I complain, he’ll actually BEND OVER to receive my hardest wack. When I do, he just laughs and laughs while my hand hurts.

I would tell your son, “I will NOT hit you, because that is the WRONG thing to do and I’m not going to do it either. But if you EVER do that again to your brother or anyone else, say goodbye to your playstation (or whatever). Hitting is NOT acceptable. They put people in jail for hitting, and I’ll put you in the “jail” of your room until you realize why it’s wrong.”

And since he’s a teenager, have him write an essay on why it’s wrong. I just love essays…

Even if D would feel good, I don’t think it would solve any of your problems. All my best.

34. J says:

I had almost the same exchange with my 11 year old son yesterday. Oh how I wanted to go for it.

When you figure it out, please let the rest of us know…

35. Jen says:

I would probably play out option “D” in my head, but resist actually doing it….but it would be so very hard.

I do like the idea of making him do some kind of horrific chore such as cleaning the toilets until they all shine or detailing the family car.

36. Christine says:

D, D, and more D. I didn’t even think of waiting it out and letting him get comfortable. Jeana is diabolical; I could learn alot from her.

So what did you do?? I’m guessing you “good parented” out and went with A (and C minus the crying).

My four-year-old is your 11-year-old in training.

37. Henrietta Manyponies says:

My oldest is going to be 36 in about a week, we weren’t quite as PC in those days. I also bit my daughter quite hard on her arm and she too never bit her brother again. You know how you ‘flick’ with your thumb and forefinger? Doesn’t really hurt but sure gives a wake up call especially on the ear lobe.

I am not a believer in sending a child to their room to repent of their sins. Think about it. Their room is their sanctuary, full of everything they hold dear. A downstairs bathroom, sitting on the toilet with the lid down, door open, hands on knees and silence, is utterly boring. Set the timer on the range for whatever the period of penance. Five minutes is a very long time to a child. Make it clear that every sound heard will add an extra minute to the time out. Give a running commentary as you reset the timer for that extra minute. Finish up with a SHORT lecture on the theme of ‘do as you would be done unto’. Repeat as needed.

38. Chris says:

“D” of course would be my first choice but only in my head. I don’t think that the hitting back thing really works, in the end. However, it sure would be tempting, when he least expects it of course. Ouch, I think I’m also a bad mom.

39. Kelly says:

I would definitely do A, followed up with D when he’s least expecting it!! Of course that’s hypothetically speaking as well :)

40. Izzy says:

Oooh..that’s a tough one. I don’t like hitting but it would be sooo tempting to do D), served up nice and cold and unexpectedly.

41. CaliforniaGrammy says:

Go for it! But surprise him so that he might understand how it feels!

42. Woman with Kids says:

Wait, the first three answers were jokes, right?

I hate when Boy 1 pulls that challenging crap, I instantly revert to the maturity level of a 2 year old.

43. Jeana says:

Ooh, I like nextcommercials answer better! Can I change mine? What she said.

I don’t think I took this post nearly as seriously as some of the others who commented here. If you want to hear my serious answer you’ll have to ask for it specifically. And even then, only if I’m in the right mood.

44. speckledpup says:

I usually solved my boys’ dispositions with athletic prowess.
    Mouthing off would get them running in place for 10 minutes or until I remembered they were still running, or until they screamed they were gonna puke and I looked and sure enough, they might be.
    Non sleeping/being quiet at bed time got them sit ups and push ups until I had eaten a pint of rocky road.
    Unprovoked abuse of a sibling had them running around the house, outside, until I got over it.

45. KathyB says:

I love how people like to pretend that D is not their first thought…I am going to have to say that I would probably reach out and pop him lightly before I ever asked him if he wanted me too, I would have probably said “did that feel good? no don’t do it again!” I know I am going out for mother of the year!

46. cristen says:

speckledpup is hilarious (the boot camp response)! never would have thought of such. but might work very well…

47. sheen of Diaper Harlem says:

I gotta say I liked “nextcommercial’s” the best! ha ha ha!
    Seriously? Despite wanting to hit him back, if it’s in a situation where you are disciplining then you have to stay the respectable one, no fun I know, but if you act like his equal then he thinks it’s a game and won’t respect you… soooo… I usually make whoever has done the crime the “slave” for a day either for the victim or for me. Service cures all ills, so work him as hard as you can for as long as it takes and make sure he’s doing some mushy things to make amends to the victim!
    good luck!

48. Jocelyn says:

Hi! I check your blog quite a bit-I have a 9 1/2 month old and I love to see what I have to look forward to! :)
    In answer to your question, I would probably do A…except instead of his room, I’d send him somewhere much more boring…then while he’s doing that, I would do C, and then when he’s done with A, I would pull a B for the rest of the day, and then when he least expects it, I would do the D. Of course, then I would most likely cry and apologize for being so mean. I have a girl though, so hopefully I won’t have to deal with this situation…

49. Summer says:

Tough call. I’m torn between A and D. Hmmmm….

50. Kim says:

Defintely go for it. But only when he’s least expecting it.

51. Michelle says:

hmm if it were me, I’d wait for the opportunity to give him a hug and a kiss when it would embarass him the most. I’d whisper in his ear that I will continue to lavish this kind of public affection on him as long as he thinks it’s cool smack his brothers.

52. Christina says:

D - there really is no other option :)

53. poppy fields says:

Okay, I spun though everyone’s answers as not to be influenced. My answer is: Go for it. I would heartlessly smack him on the arm right back. Does that mean I am really bad?

54. Wendy says:

D

and remind him that I brought him into this world and I can take him out. I may be small but I am feisty.

55. Lori says:

I like Henrietta Manyponies idea. My children survived that horrible tween stage (just barely) and I used to make them sit in this old church pew whe had in the front room with their arms folded for a set amount of time. Surprisingly, they all refuse to go to church now that they’re older. Wonder why?

Also, I would make the hit-er do the chores of the hit-ee as punishment for being such a PIA.

Good luck! And I’m not going to say they grow up too fast, I think they grow up just fast enough.

There is only one answer!! D!!!

57. Eli says:

On my best days, when I’m well rested and very patient:

A) Calmly and rationally explain to him the error of his response and instruct him to also contemplate this while sitting upstairs in his room.

When I’m unusually emotional, you know, pregnant or PMSing:

c) Burst into tears thinking that you have created a heartless sociopath.
    OR–wondering, “how could my children act this way? Why are they so horrible to each other? Why don’t they love each other? Haven’t I given them enough love? Why is our home a war zone?” SOB! SOB! Boo-hoo, snot running down nose.

On days when I haven’t gotten enough sleep (most days) and my patience is worn thin (most days):

d) Go for it
    Followed by a temporary feeling of great satisfaction, then later that night while I’m lying in bed a feeling of guilt and gratitude that tomorrow is a new day.

58. Pam says:

2 out of 4 of my kids are gone but we still play a little game I made up called “Guess What Day It Is?”. The kids look perplexed, Ummm Tuesday?. No! It’s Everybody Gets A Spanking Day and then we have a silly slap (more like a limp wristed) fight with each other until everyone gets tired. So you get to fight with your siblings but no injuries have ever been involved.

59. Carrie (in MN) says:

Wow - I really needed this today! We need a support group just for mothers of 11 year old boys, because mine would SO do exactly this same thing. I’m so relieved to hear it’s not just me dealing with this and….

D, of course.

60. Faerylandmom says:

In all honesty, I know that I’d go for it right then. Not because I think it’s ok, but because that seems to be the language my son speaks. Following will be my best effort at explaining why it’s wrong (it’s mean, etc…) and why I “went for it” (we reap what we sow).

Sheesh. This makes me sound mean…but I wanted to be honest. I really REALLY try to avoid this when I can, but there are just times that nothing else works. Although, I like the “slave” idea too…

61. Leeann says:

Given that every childhood expert would disagree with this,

but being entirely honest,

I woulda smacked the shit out of his arm.

But that’s just me. lol

Leeann
    niccofive.blogspot.com

62. Debbie says:

I would say if you want something to do with those hands, grab a sponge and start washing the car, walls, etc.
    I am going to treat your brother special because of your abuse and he and I are going to get a special treat while your cleaning!

63. Barb Cooper says:

We had a neighbor kid who was always hitting my oldest girl, who has the personality of a very proper English butler. It would never occur to her to hit back. So finally, I took that little boy by the arm (not so gently) and I told him, “Aaron, in our family, we do not believe in hitting. But I want you to know that if you hit Ana again, she has my permission to punch you back as hard as she possibly can. She will not be punished for this. Got it?” Since that time, I have used this same tactic when my YOUNGER daughter started hitting, too. And oddly enough, the hitting has stopped. Go figure.

64. Kristina says:

having four children (ages 11 to 3) I would:

“GO FOR IT!”

Thanks for sharing…

65. genpoco says:

As my mother used to say: “When you least expect it, expect it!” Of course this is also the woman who would leave our chore lists on the fridge signed “The Claw” (complete with illustration of claw dripping…blood?)

D - go for it.

66. Leslie says:

Definitely D. If I said that to my mom I probably would have been wishing all I got was my brother hitting me! Boy oh boy…that mouth might be writing checks that ass can’t cash! =)

67. Amanda Regan says:

I had this exact problem last year & my solution was to “go for it” this began an “enjoyable” couple of months where everyone hit everyone whenever they wanted & it only stopped when everyone hated everyone for hurting them.

I sent them all to different corners of the house with sheets of papers with their siblings names on it (and me & daddy) they had to write 5 things they liked about everyone.
    This stopped the in-fighting & now they will fight to the death for each other not with each other.

Plus I have some adorable sheets of paper in each of their journals telling them what their siblings most admire about them for when they’re older.

68. elizabuffy says:

Hah! Very funny.

in this situation I

E. try to recall that parents, like lawyers, should never ask questions that could elicit a response that doesn’t help their case.

69. Sleeping Mommy says:

GO for it.

70. Debbie H says:

Oh I totally deal with this daily. With our three boys, ages 15, 11 & almost 7, apparently the overload of testerone in them causes this malady. Like little magnets inside their skin, just itching to smack the nearest brother whenever, where ever and for how ever many times…drives me insane. And dh doesn’t help when he arrives home, and grabs on to the nearest boy-child and engages in a very manly-chest-bashing greeting…its a guy thing totally.

71. nan says:

D) Thwacking is really effective, but only if you hardly ever do it. It has to completely surprise and amaze them. If anyone gets a spank from me around here, they all spend the rest of the day tiptoeing around, cleaning up after themselves and asking if I need a hand with dinner.

Whack! And then yell “anyone else want one??!” and put your self in time out. With cookies.

72. Melissa says:

I’ve never left you a message, but have been reading your blog for years. Anyway, I just went through this with my almost 11ds. He grabs his sisters and hugs them really tight making them scream and then laughs! I’m so tired of telling him to “STOP, Leave them alone” that tonight about 1 minute after he did it to one of the girls, I did it to him. It was right at dessert or I think he would have gone to his room (complete with a door slam). You could see the steam coming off of his head and he wouldn’t make eye contact with me to save his life. I’m hoping he remembers this tomorrow, but being a boy, probably not!

73. Catherine says:

D.

However, I’ve seen the bootcamp style punishment work on my nephews (13 & 8). In 10 days that I was vacationing with them & their mom they were (only) in trouble twice. They had to “get in position” (looked like a plank from Pilates) and stay there for as many minutes as they are old. She figured at least they’d build some upper body strength while doing their time. Afterward, they were too tired to go back to whatever had gotten them into that position in the first place.

74. Jadine says:

Go for it…but by surprise. And repeatedly. You know, until the point is taken. This EXACT scenario happened in my house, and I have the perfect punching knuckles which surprised the heck outta the kid, and after 4 such ambushes (I mean, lessons), he admitted the error of his ways.

75. Christina says:

Option D. followed with option A.

Oh boy, do I smell a teenager?

I say do all of the above, in that same order, all at the same time with a little bit of a “Sybil” (Sally Fields) personality to go along with. However you must do B by just staring at him in his door way after he marches upstairs and sits in his room.

Revenge is great. ;) LOL….

77. Jen says:

There are an awful lots of Jen’s that read this blog. Just an observation.

My answer would definitely be D. Probably not the right answer, but jeez, how could you resist. As suggested, I think waiting until he’s not expecting it would make it that much more enjoyable. The suggestion of sending yourself to time out in your room afterward seems a winner as well.

A friend of my mother’s would make her sons sit on the front porch holding hands for their time out time whenever they would fight or do mean things to each other. At the end, they had to hug. They got along on pretty well by the time I knew them in their teens, so I’m guessing it worked. However have yet to try it on my boys (6 and 8), so I can’t speak to its effectiveness first hand. Mine aren’t old enough yet that it would be embarassing enough to work

E. Tell him you’ll have Rob take a go at it when he gets home from work.

79. Carrie says:

Been there!

I chose c, but I did it in my room, where he couldn’t see me of course!

Ugh, why do they have to grow up and get smart mouths?

80. Lilly says:

Male perspective - I told this story to my husband and when he heard that your son said ‘Go for it’ he laughed. He said that your son was probably sincere and in his budding manliness probably thought he could take whatever you dished out. He said that the mistake your son made was hitting someone much smaller so maybe what Jennifer said a couple of comments back is the best solution. Tell him you’ll have Rob go for it and that might teach him the lesson not to hit someone a lot smaller. …My husband says that when he was a kid he and his peers were whacking each other all the time and enjoying it a lot.

81. Brigitte says:

I think you hit the nail on the head, Lilly! In his “budding manliness”, if YOU hit his arm, he’d probably laugh and say “thank you sir, may I have another”.

82. Mel says:

“E” None of the above. Write about it in your blog as you did and the next time your child tells you that you are the meanest mom in the world, show him how many of us really would have picked “Go for it”!!!!!

83. Common Mom says:

You GO FOR IT! No doubt about it - he’s 11 - he can take it - and he asked for it.

84. Carrie says:

I always try to be calm & rational and my answer would be “A”. But, if there is any kind of trash talking “D” would then be added to the mix and I would “C” him for the rest of the day.

85. hollygee says:

Non-parent here, so may be totally off the wall, but what about cessation of all TV/computer/video games for all for the day because he sassed you — and let the family know who they can thank.

86. Lena says:

Oooh. Naugh-tay. I say GAME ON!

87. Bri says:

My little brother (who was at the time over 6 feet to my 5′8″) did the same thing to me once…I told him if he didn’t stop being such an ass I was going to slap him silly. When he replied “Go for it.”, I did. The shocked look on his face was well worth the embarrassment of slapping a grown man upside the head in public. (How is it that we never really grow out of silly sibling stuff?)

88. Lynda says:

I think that D is a very good choice. I have an 11 year old who has brothers that range in age from 22 to 32 and he thinks it is great fun to punch on them until they give it back to him. They also give it back to him like he can take it and when he wusses out, I just tell him if you can’t take it, don’t dish it. Not only that, but I remember when I was little I bit this little girl in the middle of her back. My mom bit my arm pretty hard and I never bit anyone again. I don’t think B works because they just think they got away with it…emotional outbursts, while they might make us feel good don’t do anything to correct the behavior of the hitter, and calmly and rationally explaining things to an 11 year old…you’re joking right. There is nothing calm or rational about an 11 year old.
    I’m so glad that there are other mothers out there who deal with the same problems that I deal with and I’m not alone.

89. cole says:

hahahaha. And hm. A little weird.

I read this to my husband who laughed and said, “Go for it, duh. (insert smacking noise and some ‘dugz, dugz, pow, pow’. Cause yea, I would just like all the rest of the day just reaching out and smacking him on the arm. I would ask him if he has had enough or should I continue to “go for it.”

I would like to add that I don’t think my husband could ever take our son, had he said it, up on that proposition but you can always think of an alternative….like, Smacking your brother is like when I take all your toys away and make you stay inside and not talk to your friends or watch tv or do anything fun and I am going to do it for no reason at all.

I seriously don’t know what I would do. I think the shock would have to wear off first. My comeback might loose some of its zing by then.

90. GaftGirl says:

Go for it!

91. connie says:

When my kids would argue I always made them stand together nose to nose. Literally. Usually within a couple of minutes the silly giggles would start. Problem solved.

Oh, and to answer the question?

E. Pass it to Dad to handle. All my kids were taller than me at a fairly early age. Heh.

92. Cathy says:

I have a different response - E. none of the above. As my mom used to say, don’t ask a question if you don’t want to hear the answer. The way you responded with that question invited that type of response from him. Sorry for being a spoil sport.

93. Mom Sleppy says:

Hmm… I choose “A” because I believe in nonviolence. I’d hang him by the ankles while practicing choice “A” for having a smart mouth.

94. Lisa says:

So what did you do?

95. qtpies7 says:

I’d go with D all they way. And do it every time he walks near you or you walk near him, and get everyone involved, because this is clearly his love language! Love the snot out of him! After a day or two of love, I’m thinking he’ll change his love language. If he’s stubborn, it could take a week. But get everyone involved, and don’t be weaklings, love him hard!
    Discipline can be fun. Seriously. You can make a game out of this and make a point to everyone. Some people really don’t get it until you do back to them what they are doing until they really see what it feels like, and once is not enough.

96. Maddy says:

d, go for it, mother of 10 and 12 year old boys.

97. robin says:

Sadly, my 2 yr old is a little more “agressive” than my 5 yr old and hits her a lot, and hard, and for no good reason. I finally got so sick of hearing the whining over it that I told the 5yo to just smack the tar out of her the next time it happened. She did. 2 yo hit her back smiling b/c she then thought it was a game. Now they just hit each other a lot. But it’s more fair now at least. Right? Maybe I’m the sociopath?? =)

98. Tracy Bakunas says:

After having already tried, unsuccessfully I might add, A, B & C - I am now going with D! I love your blog - it’s nice to find someone like me! Getting a good chuckle today!

99. Karen says: