here today, gone tomorrow, back the next day

here today, gone tomorrow, back the next day

July 23, 2007

So, um did you see that post I had up yesterday afternoon? And then it vanished?

I know some of you did. I got emails. “What happened?”

What happened is that I am a loser with a capital L. I save all my posts for other writing ventures here on this blog in my drafts folder.

(Husband: Why don’t you write them on your word program and just copy/paste them?
Me: Uhhhh. Because
Husband: Because why?
Me: Oh, shut up.)

Yesterday, somehow, I hit publish instead of save. And I just went on and about my merry way.

Once I discovered the error I took the post down.

But never fear if you have no idea what I am talking about. You can go over and read the post now over there.

And I promise I am done talking about baseball. Seriously. I have more important things to dwell on now. Like my hair.

My hairdresser just got back from maternity leave last week. I had a long standing appointment for last Tuesday. Then I found out the my refrigerator and freezer were scheduled to be delivered that day and I was forced to cancel my appointment. It is today at 10:00.

I have been having these recurring moments of panic that she is going to have to cancel my appointment and I will have to leave for Chicago with hair long overdue for a cut and color. Or else venture over to my local Supercuts, or whatever that hair place is where you don’t need and appointment and they let the fry girl from the fast food place next door cut your hair for shits and giggles.

I am also sporting the Herman Monster eyebrows. After the unfortunate do-it-yourself waxing incident a many months ago in which I pulled off half of one eyebrow and left a bald patch through the center of the other one, I have been following my hairdressers instructions to leave them alone. “For the love of all things holy do not touch any of those eyebrows. Let them all grow in.”

Do you know how long it takes eyebrows to grow in? Not the ones underneath the brow. Those seem to sprout out right after you pluck them. But the ones that are never meant to be plucked out… they take forever.

I am hoping today that I can return to the world of normal eyebrows. And never be referred to in hushed tones as “the girl with the…uh..eyebrows”

Comments

1. Anna says:

You’re so good at this…letters to your children. Beautiful.

2. Carrie says:

Thanks for tearing my heart out and stomping all over it. That’s exactly how I feel watching my boys play!

Congratulations to the end of a successful season for your man-child!

I could have written that post about my firstborn (who’s almost 12 and passionate about baseball, as well). Except I wouldn’t have done it so eloquently, of course.

Beautiful, Chris… just beautiful.

4. Crisanne says:

He’s blessed to have such an honest, introspective mom like you. You’ve taught him that life’s not about being perfect, it’s about trying your best and admitting when you’ve messed up. What a fabulous thing to teach your son!

5. B says:

Beautifully written, Chris.

6. Chandra says:

Very, very nice :). I hope I can express my love to my kids half as well as you have done.

Well said.
    I love “man-child.”

8. Lacy says:

Ugh….I don’t know if I’m crying because I’m pregnant and completely nuts or because this was so beautiful and it reminded me of my incredible, handsome, sweet first born son. Probably the latter. :)

9. Maddy says:

What a proud Momma you are. Oh so true about the couch giving him the gift of confidence … every child should have one of those days in their life.

10. Maddy says:

OHHH NO! We do have a coUch at home on which we sit and it doesn’t speak, what I meant was coAch … sorry!

And the lesson here is that you should ALWAYS CARRY A FLASK.

(Also that I should always have tissues near when reading these posts.)

12. CaliforniaGrammy says:

Chris, you are so good at sharing your love so touchingly. I read this aloud to my husband and we both had tears rolling down our cheeks—precious words, indeed! Congrats to your “man-child” and his team!

13. Scylla says:

That was beautifully put. I got all shivery thinking about doing similar things with my children.

14. diana/sunshine says:

what a beautiful letter. it is so obvious how proud you are of your son, as you should be.

15. Chris says:

OMG…I have chills. That was so beautifully written. You have put into words the very things I felt when my daughter played soccer, in the big games.
    One day your children will realize how lucky they are to have such a caring Mom. Great job!

16. Carrie says:

You are such an awesome writer. I love it when you write letters to your children. I tear up every time.

17. Kathy says:

You might want to ask 11 year old son to do the punching of the coaches arm since he’s so good at it.

18. Carola says:

Today I’m very emotional because I learnt I’m pregnant for the second time. I found your letter simply beautiful, it touched my heart.

19. Lori says:

In tears over this one. The letting go is so, so hard. Everytime I think I’m ready, I find out once again that I’m not. Thank you for again putting into such eloquent words the feelings that many of us have every day!

You crack me up. My hairdresser said the exact thing to me about my eyebrows, including the “for all things holy” part.
    I did read your post on this blog yesterday then found it gone this morning. Don’t worry, I just tracked you down at the Parenting blog. Uh, umm. Not that I’m stalking you, or anything. Uh, umm.

21. Susanne says:

Maybe you need blogging software. I love mine and it holds all my drafts plus a backup of everything I posted in case the server crashes.

And now I’m off to read the letter to your son. I was so curious. I only read a line or two because I had it on bloglines…

22. diatribal says:

As always, you made me laugh!

23. Diane says:

That must be where they get those Supercuts girls! I have had some seriously scary haircuts there. I keep giving them another shot. Not good!

24. lizinsumner says:

Just a note of caution about eyebrows: take it from someone who was very pluck-happy in her 30’s, and now, a few years leater {{{cough, cough}}}, cannot get her eyebrows to grow/fill back in for love nor money. Remember in Postcards From the Edge where Shirley MacLaine is in the hospital and says to her daughter (Meryl Streep) “It’s in my will that you don’t bury me without my eyebrows!” as she’s pencilling her eyebrows back in before going out to meet the press??!!! It’s true! They can go away and NEVER.COME.BACK………

25. Tamatha says:

At least you weren’t referred to in hushed tones as “the girl with the…uh..unibrow”…

26. Kristy says:

LOL about the eyebrows. I am too chicken to do mine myself and I pray continually as I let the hairdresser do them for me. I’m just waiting for her to slip one day and take off one whole side…

27. Amy Girl says:

I did notice the missing post, but hey that’s o.k. I do things like that on a regular basis: socks, brush, keys, lipstick, ummm, children. Loved your letter. I so know the feeling of your little/big guy standing up there on that mound with the weight of the world on his shoulders. Character building is never painless. And thanks for the eyebrow laugh.

28. amy says:

I cannot find the post about your son so I guess I will wait until it reappears? Or maybe no such luck? But eyebrows I can definitely talk about now. I too always wondered why the hairs that you do not want EVER grow back immediately but whenever one accidently plucks or waxes the wrong hairs, they NEVER grow back. Please if you find the answer to this perplexing question, I am sure we would all love to hear about it!

29. Chris says:

Um, yes I have learned about removing eyebrows, the hard way. I’m older than dirt and still waiting for the eyebrows to grow in all the right places. The hair is another issue, I just had it colored not even 4 weeks ago and the grays are back. Don’t even mention cutting of hair. I’m thinking that right now I look a tad bit like Prince Valiant and one of the muppets!