chicago

chicago

July 27, 2007

I arrived in Chicago bright and early and without any delays, which judging by all the people who tried to arrive yesterday, is a miracle.

Yesterday my friend Jeanne picked Susan and I up in the morning and brought us shopping to some funky neighborhood that had a bunch of independent shops and resale shops. As we walked through the resale shops I finally understood what all you people are talking about when you say how much you love them. Where I live resale shops have either a) old musky clothes for the 80’s with shoulder pads and cropped tops with the collars cut off, or b) stuff from stores like Banana Republic from last year that didn’t sell well in the store.

But these stores were so fun and inexpensive. I found a cute top, a belt, and a pair of jeans that seemed like someone made them just for me. That has never happened.

Right now I am nursing a slight headache that is a combination of a few glasses of wine, no real food, and not enough water. Also I am looking at a pile SJ’s business cards which are printed on tampons– informative AND useful.

As always happens I don’t really have much else to write about. Seeing everyone again this year, and seeing people I have only known through the computer, is a lot of fun. Slightly overwhelming at times, but fun. It is hard to put it into words. Maybe I’ll remember to take my camera out of my bag today and take some photos.

I should probably mention the hotel bathrooms and how they have shutters in the wall opening into the room and a sliding woven wood door. It brings the getting to know you better thing to a whole new level.

Comments

1. Mir says:

What, no mention of calling to jolt me out a sound sleep with the request to swim in my pool?? ;)

2. Jonathon Morgan says:

Have a blast a BlogHer!

3. diatribal says:

Ha! Sounds fun!

4. gale says:

Love the bathroom tidbit! Hope you have a lot of fun and use your camera.

5. Elena J says:

Now you’ve got to post a picture of those business cards!

6. jm says:

Chris, resale is MADE for bodies like yours! Girl, you are so slim and cute you would look awesome in a burlap sack.

It was great hanging out with you and Susan yesterday. And thank you for being SO FORGIVING with my terrible stick shift driving!

7. Mary Groves says:

I stayed at that very Hotel downtown Chicago - make sure to go to the floor where there is window to watch the swimmers in Lake Michigan swimming laps and from some windows don’t miss the fireworks from the Pier - I love Chicago! Mary

8. Karen says:

See you tonight, pretty lady!

9. Amy says:

Have fun getting to know your roommates… We’ve found some awesome stuff at 2nd hand stores. You just have to go to the right ones… and realize that it’s hit or miss. You might have a great day (like the one we recently had where we found my 4 year old some much loved cowboy boots that he hasn’t taken off since, as well as a working iMac for me - woohoo!)… but some days you feel like you’re looking through someone’s garage sale leavin’s. You feel like you really accomplished something when you have a good day though - like you found a secret treasure. :) Enjoy the rest of your stay in Chicago - it’s a great town!

10. Barb Cooper says:

I should send you all my old thin clothes but I hate you. No, just kidding–I just wish so much that I could be where you are. Heck, I’d pee out in the room with no door at all (I’m from Texas after all). Please give us a full report so that we can live vicariously through you! Please? And drink your water. –Barb

11. jennster says:

SO AWESOME! wish i was there!

12. Yvonne says:

Glad your loving my city! Sorry for all the humidity today, though! Hope it’s cooler this weekend for you!

13. Daisy says:

The Chicago area has the best resale shops! I go thrift shopping with my sister-in-law every time I visit there.

14. Brigitte says:

I go to the thrift stores only when kidless - it takes too much concentration wading through the yucky stuff to find the treasures!

I’m obsessing on the bathroom. It brings back terrible memories of visits to my grandmother’s when I was little. Very old house, no doors inside (just curtains) - including the bathroom! - for heat circulation purposes. And warnings that when grandpapa had to go, he HAD TO GO! No wonder I got constipated on every visit.

I love second hand stores! I wish I had more to choose from around here. :( I cant wait to see your pictures and looking forward to hearing more about your trip..

16. becky says:

what was UP with those bathrooms anyway? sliding doors? windows with shutters - that open to the bathroom? WTF?

it was good to see you, lady. you are so cute. i wish i could have talked to you a bit more. hope you had a fabulous time.

i enjoyed your session. all of you were fabulous. there was so much going on, i had a hard time keeping up! but it was great. i am worn out. it’s good to be home.

17. Kyran says:

and how about those rocks in the sink basins? apparently I have been undervaluing my own boys’ interior decorative with-it-ness.

loved seeing you in person.

18. Suebob says:

I showed your photo to my fam and they agree - you are totally lying about this whole 7 kid thingy. You HAVE to be. You are the nanny, aren’t you?

19. sarcastic journalist says:

Remember saying what the first thing you would do when you got home? Yeah, I did that too.

Also, I planned on hiding the dildo in the cereal box but wasn’t sure if he would eat it. So I was woke up this morning to “Hey, I like the dildo in the fridge.”