on a completely unrelated note

on a completely unrelated note

July 31, 2007

My post is up over at Parenting.

I felt bad that I did not miss them. Surely this was not normal. I overheard other mothers going on and on about how much they missed their children and how they were wishing they could cut their stay short.

I felt bad. Bad that I did not feel the least bit, well, bad.

Comments

1. Kate Brody says:

are they still alive? (check)
    is the house still standing? (check)
    did they miss you? (check,check)

Are you kidding me? Don’t feel bad — Thou art human , O mother of 7. Is this the only time you get away by yourself?

DONT FEEL BAD

Dear god, we’re going out tonight and I’ll probably trample a few of the kids on my way out the door … :)

2. genpoco says:

My Minion ( age 10 )has been in Oregon visiting his father for the past 6 weeks. He’ll be home next week. I have read about 20 books in his absence. I have not cleaned his room. I have become a sloth. I’ve just started to miss him..but I know within 20 minutes of his being safely delivered to me from the airplane I’ll be counting the days till the beginning of school…lol

3. Denise says:

Right before one panel started, a woman was on the phone saying how miserable she was and how she was never EVER going to leave them again. And she sounded sincere. I could not relate. lol

4. Barb Cooper says:

I’ve felt bad all summer that I have been sort of, well… I hate to say this but DISLIKING MY KIDS. I mean, I LOVE them and all, but we’ve been cooped up inside because of the rain and if I hear one more person tattling on another over some invisible Polly Pocket infraction, I am freaking MOVING OUT.

Don’t feel bad. I think it’s part of the process of letting them go with grace. It just doesn’t FEEL like grace…

–Barb

5. carmen says:

I never miss my kids.

Ever.

6. Adrienne says:

I travel to facilitate professional development for teachers a couple times a summer and I NEVER miss the boys while I’m gone. I’m glad to talk to them and all, but I fully embrace and enjoy being able to only get myself ready in the morning, to eat a hot breakfast not cooked by me, to put dishes in a bin and walk away from them, never to see them again….I love watching tv in a big soft hotel bed and eating junk if I feel like it without having to share. I love exercising in the morning.

Being a single parent, business travel is about as close to a grown up vacation as I get. I make no apologies for how much I love getting away two weeks a year! (The fact that my expenses are paid AND I get paid to facilitate while I’m gone makes it even better!)

7. amy says:

Not sure if this is on topic or not, but I happily have sent my kids off to camp for one month every.single.summer that I could. Now that they ae 19 and 16, the eldest went to Africa and the youngest went to Israel for 6+ weeks. I am a firm believer in sending them off, if possible, to see the world and actually get away from us!!! It is healthy for everybody. I love my kids as much as the next person, but I think it is silly not to be able to leave them and have fun or vica versa. The ultimate goal in life is for us to raise our kids to be self-sufficient, emotionally healthy adults. I think that means that some separations are actually good for them and for us at the appropriate times in life. I hope that doesn’t sound too stuffy or anything…

8. Student Nurse Nancy says:

Those women are crazy. Enough said.

9. Jessica says:

Don’t feel bad! I’m very jelous! I need a five day break from my kid LOL ;)

10. Catherine says:

Oh, for the chance to miss my kids. What I wouldn’t give for that. Love them? Oh yeah! Need a some time where I don’t utter sentences like: are your underwear on backward, again? Hell yeah.

Reminds me of when I was in the hospital for depression a couple of years ago. It got out that I had five kids and people were always saying, “Wow…I bet you miss them awfully, don’t you?” I felt terrible because my answer was usually, “Not yet…” I love my kids, but I love my time away from them, too…I’m much too independent to be joined at the his 24/7 :)

12. Daisy says:

My younger one went to camp last week. I love it when he’s gone, and I love it when he comes home, because I love him dearly and want the best for him, home and away.

13. desiree says:

Don’t feel bad!
    My philosophy is that I will love them more (my husband and son) when I see them again, so I enjoy myself to the fullest when I’m away from them.
    Really- It’s good to be apart for a while. It makes them appreciate me more!

14. Blonde Mom says:

I went to San Francisco last month sans kids and husband for a blog related business trip. I found myself looking in little shops for the girls, but I did not truly miss them. I enjoyed having some rare time away. Of course I was only gone one night! ;)

I used to miss my kids more when they were younger and I was a newer mother. I guess I just worried more, too.

Now that I’m older, I am always surprised at how little I miss them when I’m away on business trips!

I miss them when THEY’RE gone from the house–because the house is more quiet/lonesome without them–but when I’m gone, it’s just a fun ADULT adventure!

Don’t feel guilty in the least.

16. joy says:

me neither, have to say. my main feeling as I watched moms with their little ones was “awww” and “i am glad I am unfettered.” OK, but Sunday I was ready to hold my baby again, but enjoyed being just me for a few days. Very rare.

17. elasticwaistbandlady says:

I’m going to a mini-blogger meetup courtesy of some Awesome Colorado Sisters. I haven’t left my children’s side in 13 years other than going to work. I’m a little nervous about it.