Be impressed

Be impressed

August 3, 2007

Not only did I stand outside in the blazing hot sun of my backyard picking these blueberries, I then came inside and baked this cobbler thing even thought it was 95 degrees inside my house.

be impressed

Doesn’t that earn me some good mom points?

blueberry cobbler thing

Clearly I do not have a career in the making as a food photographer. But it tasted good, or so I am told, and that is all that matters.

Of course I couldn’t eat it. So I made my own gluten free version. Which meh. I have discovered the one thing I hate about gluten free flours is that they are all gritty. So I was eating my own personal little cobbler when I realized that it felt like I had sand in my mouth. And that just ruined it for me. I know, imagine that not liking the feeling of having a mouth full of sand.

Completely unrelated, I still have not unpacked my suitcase.

Comments

1. Deputy's Wife says:

Looks good to me! I would love to have blueberries to pick in my yard.

I am not a great cook by any means, nor do I really know what I am talking about most of the time. Just an idea though, but could you food process the flour to make it more powdery like real flour?

2. Norma says:

Do yall not have an air-conditioner? I live in Houston, I swear we’d have a population of maybe…10 if we didn’t have air-condition.

3. OMSH says:

I haven’t unpacked it either.

I purposely let the kids bury it beneath bags of school supplies, so I can pretend it isn’t there.

For some strange reason I can smell your blueberry cobbler.

4. Chris says:

No we don’t have an air conditioner. It only gets unbearably hot for maybe a total of a couple weeks.

Also we like to be super KLASSY and have fans in our windows.

5. ChristieNY says:

Ugh yes, I bake with white rice flour and it’s definitely got that gritty-factor in spades, even though it’s one of the smoothest gluten-free’s I’ve found.

I’m sorry you couldn’t enjoy your cobbler, but you sure are an awesome Mom! :)

6. Janice says:

I think you are qualified for duper duper Mom! I don’t go out in 95 degree heat for anyone (except maybe George Clooney…)

7. Shannon @ Rocks in my Dryer says:

I’ve learned that if you continue to pile dirty clothes ON TOP OF your BlogHer suitcase, you can’t see it anymore, and then you can pretend it isn’t there.

8. Jessica says:

You ROCK! Any mommy who cooks without any A/C is awesome in my book :) Sorry you didn’t get to enjoy any, but think of all the calories you’re not eating LOL.
    Oh and unpacking sucks. Leave it until someone else needs a suitcase LOL.

9. diatribal says:

That looks very yummy. I would LOVE to have blueberries in my yard!

10. julie says:

I am truly impressed. Picking the berries yourself definitely makes it all the more impressive.

Sorry you couldn’t enjoy it. That really sucks!

11. kate says:

are you allergic to almond flour and does that have gluten in it? Not sure but that is not gritty!

That looks awesome and fabulous! I am coming over. I’ll bring the wine I can no longer drink as a trade.

13. Lilly says:

Hot here in MA also and no air conditioning for the same reason. The weather changes quickly and it’s just unbearably hot for a couple of days now and then. Feeling the heat is good for coming up with cool solutions like popsicles and heading for a pond or the ocean for a dip.

14. Lucy says:

I made a lovely cobbler for the first time yesterday using a flour mix from Carol Fenster’s new book, Gluten Free Quick and Easy - and it wasn’t gritty - rather to my surprise, because, as you say, so often gluten free flours are … might be worth looking into.

(Mine was gooseberry, because that’s what we have in our garden just now).

15. wookie says:

You can get gluten free cookie crumbs, they might make a nicer topping for your cobbler.

16. Lena says:

Do you know they make gluten free beer now?

17. Jessica says:

I am impressed for a few reasons. First, you have your own blueberry bushes. Second, you actually go out in the heat and PICK the berries. And third, you then actually baked a cobbler with them. Better woman than I. Bravo!

18. Kate Brody says:

has the bear come by for a taste?

19. elasticwaistbandlady says:

I’ve discovered that picking blueberries with my spawn brings the horrors of those ‘If You A Mouse A Cookie……’ books come to life.

If you cook a kid a blueberry pancake, he’s going to want blueberry syrup to go with it. And when you give him blueberry syrup, he’s going to want to have a blueberry smoothie to wash it down with.

It ends tragically with an entire outfit ruined with blueberry stains.

20. elasticwaistbandlady says:

How many times have you chased your kids around the berry bushes and modified the song to, “Here We Go Round The BLUEBERRY Bush….Blueberry Bush…Blueberry Bush?”

I wish I could edit. I’d insert the word ‘GIVE’ smack dab in the middle of the book title I referenced above.

21. jenijen says:

I know what you mean about the flour. Ick. I haven’t unpacked either — thanks for making me feel better!

22. Jen in Mich says:

I loooovvve blueberries. I recently started gluten free and also made a blueberry/peach cobbler last night. However - I served my husband the same one. The top never browned so we ate it over ice cream and it wasn’t too shabby that way.

23. Jaime says:

I’ve made GF cobbler with tapioca flour once.The top wasn’t as crumb-like as I’d want, but it wasn’t gritty at all.

24. Daisy says:

Sometimes, when the berries are ripe, you’ve just got to bake. How do I know this? If I didn’t bake, the zucchini would take over the house. Which I wouldn’t mind, if they’d just do the dishes once in a while.

25. jenB says:

I have unpacked if you consider dumping the contents of my suitcase on the spare room bed, unpacked.

I also looooooooove blueberries AND cobbler!

26. poppy fields says:

That looks so good!
    I leave bags unpacked for ages, too.

27. Belinda says:

I cannot wrap my head around the no AC concept. Just…can’t. Impossible concept.

But the cobbler looks amazing. Best I do with cobbler is to make the “white trash” version, where you just cut butter into a yellow cake mix, and crumble it over the fruit filling. VI-OLA!

28. Ruth Dynamite says:

This looks incredibly scrumptious.

29. Heidi says:

Tell me about it, I do so much better on a diet simply because my choices for eating suck worse that actually just going hungry. Brave soul for trying different flour. Not gonna happen for me. What recipe did you use? Or should I just look it up in the book Blueberries for Sal? Haha. Sure look scrumptious.

30. Joy H says:

OH MY GOODNESS! You should be wearing a crown. Picking the berries/no a-c/making a cobbler that you can’t even eat….WOW! (and yum!)

31. Elizabeth says:

Chris, have you tried coconut flour?

32. Russ says:

I was over reading The New Homemaker the other day and noticed that less processed flours tend to aggravate gluten allergies less. Even thought they still have gluten in them. Anyhow, maybe it’s worth a try for you :)

that cobbler looks so awesome

33. hollygee says:

Over on the Silly Yaks email group, they have talked about adding a little more liquid (2 Tablespoons?) and then letting the dough rest for a half an hour in the fridge so that there is more absorbtion.

34. coloradomommy says:

But how are you FEELING living gluten free? Is it making a big difference?

And yeah, so the bear and other assorted wildlife do not eat your berries before you get to it?

35. Heather B. says:

RE: Not being unpacked

Dude, I’ve had my liquids in a quart sized bag since May. MAY.

36. Christine says:

I’m weird about a LOT of things, but being linked to is not one of them! :)

My COW, that cobbler looks freaky yummy. You’re seriously making me a fatty again. I’ve had crack dip at least once a month since I discovered that post.

37. Bastet says:

Doesn’t picking the berries burn enough fat to actually enjoy a small sliver of yummy cobbler?! You have some great will power…I rationalize all my desserts! ;)

Pamela’s Baking Mix! I use it in place of flour cup for cup in any baked goods. It is fabulous, but I just realized it has tree nuts in it so if you are allergic to those too it wouldn’t work. Hmmm…

Gluten free flours are a bit gritty. I find rice flour works very well for cooking, but not so much for baking. I did find a gluten free blogger who has posts some great recipes (and somehow manages to have the food photography thing down):

39. Rae says:

It’s all blackberry and peach cobbler around here. Woo hoo for baking from your yard, even when it’s mind-scathingly hot. Sorry about the flour.

40. MsRebecca says:

I am impressed beyond belief and I want some.. warmed up with a big ‘ole scoop of vanilla icecream..

*harder and harder to stay on this diet..

41. Alice H says:

You may think you don’t have the chops for food photography, but that cobbler’s making my mouth water. Any chance you’d share the recipe?

42. Sue says:

I am very much impressed!!!
    Can I come ever? ;-)

43. Mommymommy says:

my kids Nana also is giuten free, and when making baked goods we have used this flour recipe to great success.
    3 cups brown rice flour (fine ground)
    1 cup potato starch (not potato flour)
    1/2 cup tapioca flour