24 Hours in the Life: Part 1

24 Hours in the Life: Part 1

August 7, 2007

I have been wanting to do one of these type of posts from awhile. But I always get sidetracked. When I have done these I like looking back at them later to see what I was doing.

10:15pm
I am sitting on my couch, laptop open, working. My 4, 6, and 8 yr olds are in bed. My 10 and 12 yr olds I hear talking in the kitchen in conspiratorial whispers. They are plotting against me. I yell, “Closing time! You don’t have to go to sleep, but you can’t stay here.”

My 2 yr old is sitting on the area rug with a pile of note cards and scissors. He is very intently working on covering every surface of the floor with his handmade confetti.

Super Nanny is on tv and I feeling very superior in my parenting skills. Until I realize that my 2 yr old is cutting with non-safety scissors. And that I allowed him to climb up on the counter to get the note cards and scissors. Maybe allowed is too strong of a word . In truth I had no idea it was happening because I was in the other room. He still has all appendages. It is all good.

10:30 pm Rob sends a photo to my phone from his nosebleed seats at a baseball game. I have sympathy vertigo.
Miles the 2 yr old is sitting inside the storage ottoman. He says “Eth my widdle bed.” A better mother would probably take that as a sign that he is tired.

10:45 pm
More working.

11:00 pm My other site is still down. Email host site to see if they have any idea because I am clueless. 11 yr old comes downstairs looking for some “thing” he can neither name or describe. He graciously offers to clean up the paper. While he does that I bring Miles to bed.

11:45pm
Realize I have spent 45 minutes on email and reading blogs.

12:00 am Still more working.

12:15 am Read email from host site telling me to clear my cache and that my blog will pop back up. Incredibly it works.

1:00 am
Watching stupid television.

1:20 amGet up and throw a load of laundry into my washing machine on my way to the bathroom.

2:00 am Wondering why I am still watching stupid television. And wow at a certain point during the night commercials really become low budget

Make mental list of all things I need to do. Overwhelmed and so I decide not to think about it.

2:12 am Decide to head up to bed. Will read a few pages of the book, The Gravedigger’s Daugter, that I am currently reading.

Comments

1. Scout's Honor says:

Ahhh…You’ve got summer mommy fever. so much to do, so little time. I always think I’ll get more done in the summer. Then I have a count down until the kids start school, then I’m sure I’ll have more time to get stuff done in fall, then winter, then spring. Then, I keep thinking, when summer comes… Cut yourself some slack. Every mommy deserves to watch a night infomercial or watch a tivo-ed episode of what a mess Paula Abdul is. Not that I watch Paul. Nopity-nope. Not me…

On the safety scissors, as long as nobody gives anyone a mohawk in their sleep whp doesn’t want a mohawk, you are golden. I once watched too many Makeover Stories; my two year old got into the spirit and gave my infant son a reverse mohawk with black Sharpie highlights. Sadly, I didn’t even notice until we got to school to pick up my Eldest at the end of the day.

Exhaustion allows you to rightly overlook the little things.I’ve started to say no to new committments and let myself enjoy the here and now. It seems by the pictures you have that down pat. I certainly enjoy reading your blog. :)

2. Anna says:

So that’s how you get in it all done…you don’t actually sleep! Me neither…just getting out of work now (3am) and still have to pick up my kid on the way home…ahhh, my life is so glamorous!

3. Annie says:

I’ve been lurking here and at your other blog for ages and I just wanted to tell you how much I love them. I really enjoy when you do these 24-hour or live-blogging posts. It’s really interesting (and funny!) to see how you spend your days juggling your responsibilities and keeping your sanity.

4. CathyC says:

Holy smokes! What time do you get up in the morning? I’m usually in bed by 930pm the latest (my 3 yr old makes SURE I’m not in bed past 6am that little booger).

5. Cathy says:

Ah, so now I see how you do it - you don’t sleep.

6. coloradomommy says:

That was only 6 kids accounted for….

7. Chris says:

coloradomommy,

Nope all 7 were mentioned.

8. coloradomommy says:

D’oh! Just caught mention of 11yo. Cancel the Amber Alert.

9. OMSH says:

Just as soon as we think “I’m doing a great job.” our kids do something like throw a book at their sister’s head, decide trampoline’s make good slip and slides or think that if they can get a ladder, climb up to the roof and jump ON TO the trampoline from the roof, they can catch better “air”.

*rollingeyes*

10. Molly says:

Wowie!! If I stayed up until 3 am, I would be so, so hurting the next day. I need just about the same amount of sleep that my children do, if not a bit more. Must be asleep by 10 to be happy and awake at 7 or 7:30 the next morning. I wish I needed less sleep.

11. cristen says:

I don’t know how you do it on so little sleep. I would die for sure. I do love these minute-by-minute accounts!