24 Hours in the Life: Part 2

24 Hours in the Life: Part 2

August 7, 2007

7:00am
woken up by being head butted in the nose. Holy crap it hurts. I yell. Miles cries. I try to convince him to stop crying. I’d like to say I feel bad that I yelled and he is crying, but really I am annoyed.

7:10 have endured all the torture I can stand and get up out of bed. Grab socks, sneakers and a bra and head out my bedroom door. Miles following behind me yelling, “You running. mommy? You running, mommy?” I shush him because everyone else is still asleep.

7:15 Start coffee

7:20Move laundry from washer to dryer. Toss another load of laundry in washing machine. Marvel at the disaster that is the laundry room. Say goodbye to Rob as he also marvels at the laundry room disaster.

7:25
Change Miles diaper. Get him a granola bar for a pre breakfast snack. Turn on Today show. Lay down on familyroom floor and do sit-ups. Part of newly initiated exercise program so that I don’t look perpetually 5 months pregnant. Miles lays next to me and does his version of sit-ups, which includes kicking his legs furiously, rolling back and forth holding his knees, and shouting, “Whoa, whoooooa.” Wish I had that much fun exercising.

7:45
10 yr old son wakes up and comes downstairs. Watch the weather together and sigh deeply when the weatherman proclaims it “another scorcher out there” Hand son the remote.

7:53 Finally get a cup of coffee

coffee

8:00
Tell 10 yr I am heading out for my run/walk/daily dose of sucking wind and hating every moment. Miles cries and hangs on my leg. Tell 10 yr I’ll bring Miles in the stroller.

8:01
Toss Miles in stroller and head out.

8:35 Back home. Come inside and greet children who have woken up while I was gone.

just before morning walk/run

Comments

1. Alissa says:

keep on running!

2. Crisanne says:

Wow, my son whacked me in the face this morning too! And I yelled. And he cried. The joys of being 2.5!

Congrats on the exercise routine. I’ve instituted one myself.

I have also integrated one for myself at work. Its called walking to the vending or coffee machine. ;)

Love this live blogging, pretty cool! Thanks for the laugh, miles is quite the ham. :)

4. Shari says:

Glad to know that I am not the only one trying to function on 5 hours of sleep. I still haven’t figured out how to incorporate exercise into my day but the coffee and lack of sleep diet are doing wonders for my weight loss!

Congrats on running.

5. Woman with Kids says:

Wait, seriously? There was almost an hour in between when you woke up and when you had coffee… How did you manage to open your eyes before then?

I’m amazed at your abilities. Although the voluntarily running thing? That kinda scares me.

6. meritt says:

Oooo the guilt the guilt! The guilt is painful!!!! Sit ups before coffee AND running? I’ve been trying to convince myself to start running early in the morning - even if it’s just 4 blocks! LOL. Somehow the lure of sitting at the kitchen island with coffee wins every time.

I’m proud of you!!!!!!!

7. AT says:

Dude! You only get 5 hours a night MAX?!?! Even though all your kids are sleeping through the night? AND you go out running in the morning?!?! I have had a cyber crush on you for a while now due to your sense of humor and general awesomeness, but that just got elevated to cyber-worship. I am an evil witch mommy without at least 6 hours of shut-eye.

For what it’s worth, I was awoken this morning by being poked repeatedly in the head with a “wand” by my 3 year old “magician.” Mother of God that is a painful way to wake up. So I feel you sister, I feel you.

8. Abby says:

Wow! I wish I could be so productive with only 5 hours of sleep! I admire your humor, patience, and energy!

9. Chris says:

Perhaps running is overstating it. It only FEELS like running. Mostly it is walking and cursing in my head, the running is just trying to get it over with as soon as possible.

And I really do like having that short amount of time in the peace and quiet before all the chaos begins.

10. Alice H says:

I got headbutted a couple of days ago too. I honestly thought my nose was broken for a few minutes.

I’ve gotta ask, Chris - how many loads of laundry do you have to do in a day? I’m doing about 2 a day for a family of four - but some of that has to do with my husband wearing three sets of clothes in a day (work dress-up, exercise clothes, nighty-night clothes) and some has to do with our damaged dining-room table top and the need to hide that so we use a tablecloth, which is invariably covered in hair from one of our four felines so it ends up one side up one day, other side up the next day, in the washer day three. And cloth napkins because paper towels won’t stay in a wiggly kid’s lap but cloth napkins usually will, at least for a little while.

11. Kath says:

All that before 8:35AM??? Dang I’m a slacker, I try to sleep till then (doesn’t usually work).

12. OMSH says:

Okay now I realize what my problem is - I need to exercise in the morning. THE MORNING. Because thinking about it at 11:00 pm just does NOT work.

13. dorothy says:

I thought maybe one of the benefits of having seven kids would be that you didn’t have to schlep one with you while you go jogging. My plan to have six more is now foiled.