24 Hours in the Life: Part 4

24 Hours in the Life: Part 4

August 7, 2007

12:50 My 8 yr old points out that our pumpkin plants are laying down in their little patch all wilty like. I suggest he go outside and put the hose that is still snaked around the driveway to good use.

100_6878

1:00 Caillou is over. “Don’t you want to watch it again?” I ask. But no, they want lunch. So I pull out my all American Wonder bread and peanut butter and jelly. My mother refused to buy Wonder bread when I was a kid opting for that whole grain bread that I despised. So my children get Wonder whether they want it or not.

1:05 Hand out two peanut butter with grape jelly, three peanut butter with strawberry jam, three peanut butter with apricot jam, one peanut butter with blackberry jam. My oldest two decide to make their own as they are picky about the jam to peanut butter ratio.

100_6881

Don’t you always lounge on a rocking chair to eat your lunch?

1:15 6 yr old starts bugging me for a popsicle.

1:16
Tell 6 yr old we will have popsicles in a little while. Not everyone has even finished eating their lunch.

1:20
6 yr old asks me again for a popsicle. Tell him later.

1:25
6 yr old asks for a popsicle again. My head may have exploded.

2:00
Susan calls to ask me if I am going to fingerpaint with my children in the house today. A reference to the Super Nanny episode that was on tv last night where the Super Nanny had the children fingerpaint. IN THE HOUSE. We both decided that we are not crazy calm enough mothers to allow that.

2:05
6 yr old asks again for popsicles.

2:14 6 yr old is shadowing me through the house.

2:15 pm “If you don’t stop following me around the house. There WILL BE NO POPSICLES!”

2:16
pm Susan says I must include that quote here for the day.
on the phone

2:17 Chat on the phone some more until neither of us can hear the other over our children in the background.

2:20 Put Miles down for a nap. Promise him a popsicle when he wakes up.

2:30
Finally convince small annoying children to go outside and play. Read email. Answer some of them in a timely manner, surprising even myself.

2:50
Kids come inside and I figure it is close enough to 3:00 snack time that they can have their popsicles. Running stampede through the house to the freezer. Shoving match ensues between children trying to find the perfect popsicle out of the hundred possible identical choices.

2:52 Kids begin finishing up their popsicles and I get to hear bad joke after bad joke that is printed on the sticks.

“When is a fin not a fin?”

“When it is a dol-phin” Hilarity ensues. Except for my 8 yr old who didn’t want to hear the answer and sulks, yells and whines at the rest of us.

I tell him to knock it off and stop acting like an 8 yr old.

“What did the calendar maker name his daughters?”

“April, May and June” Oh ho ho hooo boy. That is a real knee slapper.

3:13 After much joke telling, joke guessing, and resulting whining when someone guesses the correct answer. I declare all jokes over with for the day. There will be no more jokes in this house, dammit!

3:15 They go out into the backyard to play. I mentally go over my list of things that I still need to do for the day.

Comments

1. CathyC says:

We’re coming over tomorrow because your house is more fun than ours. Can I have a popsicle?

You forgot to tell the Internet about me telling my five-year-old, “I can’t listen to you right now, I’m listening to Chris.”

Pass me a popsicle, please.

3. Bronnie says:

Sounds busy everyday!
    I thought you home-schooled your children? When do you do school work? I don’t know how you could fit it in!!

4. Jen says:

I’m so glad I’m not the only mom who buys Wonder Bread because my mom made me eat the wheat stuff when I was little, too! I do like an ocassional slice of really good 12-grain, but the nasty “wheat” bread has gotta go! Wonder Bread all the way! (and my kids won’t eat any other now!)

5. Rebecca says:

Do you have the popsicles that look like crayons? We had those last month {or sometime} and I think that dolphin joke was on one of ours. Ha! How I can’t stand the ‘can I…’ repeated 39485 times.

6. Woman with Kids says:

The boys were both overtired and slaphappy the other night, and kept getting in trouble and laughing… I may have been tired too… I *may* have yelled, in all seriousness, “THERE WILL BE NO LAUGHING AT THIS DINER TABLE! ANY! MORE!”

Which certainly didn’t cause them to laugh until they cried.

Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches, peanut butter crackers, cheese sandwiches, peanut butter toast, and gold fish. These are my favorite lunches….for my kids. Protein in the peanut butter, fruit in the jelly, milk in the cheese, cheese in the gold fish, wheat in the crackers or bread….that’s healthy….right?

8. Jeni T says:

Coming out of lurking to comment. Chris I’m a HUGE fan & love your blog. I checked out your archives to get all caught up. I don’t have any kids (unless you count my two cats who are VERY spoiled) but will one day. Anyway I watched that SuperNanny last night too & totally cringed when she had them finger paint. They were touching the chairs w/ their hands. LOL Thanks for keeping the internet interesting. So - in all your spare time - when are you going to write a book? :)

I am loving the 24 hour posting. Very cool. Also, sort of tiring. I don’t know how you do it! And I’m with Jeni T. Write a book. I’ll buy it.

10. Suzy in DC says:

I also don’t have any kids (yet) but your blog is a must-read for me! these day in the life posts are great and I agree w/the above comments, write a book, or better star in your very own reality TV show! :)

11. nancy says:

Those lucky kids! I have actually sat here for a couple weeks and read every single submission in the archives to catch up,(I know I have no life)but heck it was fun. Hey can I morph back into a little kid and be yours? I want to join in on all the fun!JK! Have a fun filled day and give all the kids a big hug for me!

12. Chandra says:

I love the daily digest. Even though I’m from a large family and know how it works I STILL want to be a fly on the wall at your house; preferably one that gets to live.

Can’t wait to hear how the evening went!

13. hamiam says:

Uhm..Bronnie…It’s Summer.

Just sayin’….

Chris - you are tha woman!

I do believe we have the exact same box of popsicles!

15. Grim Reality Girl says:

Your life wears me out :-) Also — the quality of your photos are STUNNING! What the heck lady? What kind of camera do you own?

16. Jenn says:

Ok, a skirt, a bracelet, please, please tell me you staged the picture.

I give out the popsicles with fruit juice - if they only made one from vegetables

17. Meagan Francis says:

Did you take that gorgeous picture of yourself? Or did one of your kids do it–in which case he/she is a genius?

18. Esme says:

The part that amazes me most is the fact that it only took you from 1 p.m. to 1:05 to make nine PB&J sandwiches. Fantastic!

No, I take that back. The part that amazes me most is how calm, cool, put-together and fabulous you look in that picture. THAT’S fantastic!

19. Bronnie says:

Ahh thank you hamiam!
    I’m in New Zealand so it’s totally opposite here! Didn’t even think about it! haha

20. Karen says:

My standard popsicles comment is “hard floors” (i.e. PLEASE don’t eat popsicles on the carpet!)

21. jenB says:

That is a beautiful photo of you (like there is any other kind). And. You are sainted. I am sure people say it all the time, but I can keep my shit together for one kid, let alone seven. ROCKSTAR! Now I am imagining you in that photo of Belinda’s with you making the goat sign and your tongue hanging out.

22. Karen Vogel says:

Ha, ha - you sound like me when I can’t take it anymore - “That’s it, kids! Stop laughing and having fun! Go out and play!”

And I’m not going to ask you how you do it, because I know how you do it - by the skin of your teeth (I have 6 and I homeschool). One more person asks me, “Oh, how do you do it?” and I will answer, “It’s simple - I lock them in the closet all day.”

Check out my blog - you are one person who could truly appreciate it.