Quote of the Day

Quote of the Day

August 11, 2007

On the television: “…he was pretending to be a freshman.”

8 yr old: “That’s so funny. But how do you pretend to be a refreshment?”

Comments

1. janet says:

Too funny!

The other day John told me that we had received mail about the “free Masons” and maybe we should talk about it. I was puzzled and asked why we were getting mail about the “free Masons”? Well, It turns out he was saying “cremation”!!! I must get my hearing checked.

2. janet says:

Opps, I find that Freemasons are one word. Sorry.

3. Christina says:

Good question!

4. Crisanne says:

i love it!!

5. Pam says:

And you just don’t want to correct them because, it’s so darn cute!

6. Sunny says:

ROFL! That is soooooooooo adorable. I wanna be a refreshment!

7. MsRebecca says:

The same way you change the t.v. with a maarote (remote)and eat bratroast(bratwurst) for dinner! I’ll correct him when he’s 10 or something..

8. Kath says:

We have openmeal for breakfast sometimes :)

9. cheryl says:

Funny - we used a “demoter” for years to change the channel on our tv, while eating “ronies” (macaroni). Mine are all grown up now, and I really miss the word-play that we used to have!!!!

10. Daisy says:

In the humid weather we’re having, I wouldn’t mind being a refreshment!

11. Corrie says:

My 8 yo daughter told me the other day that she wanted to do the “love box”. I asked her to tell me more, turns out she was referring to the Locks of Love program.

12. cole says:

Sometimes we have to get our ‘chothers’ things betuz we do.

Right now I am typing on the Ahfweeater. Or the Pukatour.

xx
    So awesome.

13. Woman with Kids says:

Well duh, you look tall, cool and icy. Silly.

Boy 1 still calls it a “cellophone” and gets upset when I correct him. “That’s what I said! Cellophone!”

14. Ginny says:

My oldest always called his forehead, his ‘forfhead’. I still do. He’s 15. He doesn’t. He’s no fun anymore.

15. Becky says:

Oh man, I called it a cellophone until partly through high school. No one ever bothered to correct me. I had lots of earaches when I was little, so I wound up learning plenty of words incorrectly. Hopefully it served to amuse my parents plenty.

16. Sue says:

LOL!! That’s so funny!!

17. Karen Vogel says:

Hey, I just read your list of 40 things….I hated “100 Years of Solitude” too - I mean, what’s up with that, anyway? And I never had a wedding either - I keep telling my oldest that I expect a great party on our 25th anniversary.

We went to the Grand Canyon once, when we had only 2 little ones (and only one was walking). There’s no way I’d go back with a bunch of kids running around - that’s quite a drop, you know.

Actually, I found knitting to really help me with homeschooling my oldest boy, believe it or not. I have an article about it in Home Education Magazine (but, wait, it hasn’t been published yet - I’ll send it to you when it is).

18. Vanessa says:

When pruning the roses today I over heard 2 yr old telling 4 yr old to watch out for the horns. 4 yr old replied they’re not horns they’re forns. And these round things are spuds!

19. The G-Ma says:

We ate ham-burglers and pasghetti (but I think lots of others did too),

Just read your Forty Before Forty post, specifically the maybe ice skating rink in your back yard. I grew up in Cleveland, OH. When we were kids my dad hired a back hoe (or whatever it’s called) to dig out a one-foot-deep by 30 foot square patch in the back yard. Then, once winter was truely settled in, the fire department came by and filled our dirt depression. This froze in a couple of days. We skated every day and our “pond” became the gathering place for neighbor kids.

Sometimes we would skate at night, and dad would build a fire in a huge old galvanized container which provided the only light. One of my fondest childhood memories is watching my parents partner-skate. To me they looked beautiful, graceful, ethereal, and certainly not like my REAL parents.

DO create your skating rink! You will be so pleased and filled with sinful pride. If global warming continues, dig it deeper and make it a swimming hole.

20. Mara says:

Just don’t do what my mom does, which is to retain all of the funny kid-speak long after the kids outgrow it. Her youngest is now 16 and she’ll still say “P-bubby” for peanut butter and “Dish-wawa” for dishwasher…