Rolling down a grassy hill

Rolling down a grassy hill

August 12, 2007

Rolling

Remember how much fun this was to do as a child? I fear if I did it now I would vomit from motion sickness before I even reached the bottom of the hill.

Ah, to be young again.

Comments

1. Karen says:

My kids love love love to do that too. And like you, I stay far away from the whole exercise, I am sure I would hurt myself a lot more than I would be willing to admit if I tried it ^^

Karen

2. Lori says:

A few years ago, while babysitting, I did that. I thought I was going to die. I was 15 years old. Sadly that ability doesn’t last long enough.

3. Debbie H says:

And don’t forget the incredible itchy-itchy afterwards, nope I’m done with that game too.

4. Alison Byrne Fields says:

No vomiting, but definitely a back injury (as I lay here on my couch having strained my back by, get this, grimacing at a colleague’s email).

5. Diatribal says:

There are some fairly steep hills at the Clinton Library. When we were there for the Easter Egg Roll, we all ended up rolling down the hills! It was too fun…albeit a bit nauseating for the adults. It sure brought back memories!

6. Elizabeth says:

Stage One: Rolling down the hill and enjoying it.
    Stage Two: No longer rolling down the hill (afraid of nausea or back injury) but still wishing one could
    Stage Three: Still remember enjoying rolling down the hill, but don’t want to and don’t really need a reason.
    Chris, you are in stage two, but I feel really old for being in stage three.

7. NoMasNinos says:

Don’t forget the grass and twigs that must later be picked out from your hair. No, thanks.

8. Anna says:

Oh, my. I actually did this a few months ago, and highly regretted it!

9. MsRebecca says:

Oooh how Brandon loves to get grass stains doing this, I don’t have the stomach either and I hate to vomit even more, I’ve found that I can’t even swing high anymore, I’m such a whimp…

10. nancy says:

oh those carefree days…….your children are blessed to have such a stable and nurturing environment. Such as you and your husband are blessed to have each other and those beautiful children. Take a minute to take it all in and try to save these special moments someplace in your mind and heart :)

I used to love that! I’ll have to show my little one how to do it some time.

12. Shaylind Standing says:

I’m pretty sure just watching someone roll down the hill would make me ill.

13. robiewankenobie says:

oh, man…we have the perfect hill for that. i used to gingerly roll down with the kids. you know, to be a good sport? nowadays i don’t even give them a sideways glance as i just let go. wheeeeeee!

14. Sueb0b says:

We used to climb inside a huuge truck tire and go bouncing down the hill…it is a wonder no one broke their neck.

15. Annie says:

Oh to be have an iron-stomach again… I was once a daredevil who rode every roller coaster and attempted any stunt. Now I get nauseated just swinging on the swings at the playground. I’ve moved firmly from the role of the “doer” to the “watcher”.

16. becky says:

oh yeah, i used to love that, too. and then, one year i broke out in hives - the year my seasonal allergies made their appearance. sadly, i couldn’t roll in the grass without getting red & itchy all over.

ah, to be carefree like that again, eh?

becky
    misspriss.org

17. genpoco says:

god i feel old. nauseated, seized up, creaky and bruised just thinking of pencil rolling downhill.

18. The Silly Witch says:

You really should try it. It’s not as bad as you think, Who are you people anyway? Too old to roll down hills? Not carefree anymore? You probably don’t skip in public either!

19. chilihead says:

I know I’m an old curmudgeon, but it makes me itchy just thinking about it! We used to do that and I would itch for days. I’m more of a cardboard sled kind of gal, I think. ;)

20. Sarah says:

One of the great joys of childhood! I think I’ll teach my boys (4 and 2) how to properly roll tomorrow. Say a little prayer that I don’t pull, dislocate, strain or break something, please!

21. OMSH says:

I also remember the itch that followed shortly after.

But yea … too much fun
    Childhood.
    ahhhhh

22. carrie says:

I think I would vomit if I tried half the stuff I did as a child!

Great pic, he looks like he’s having a blast!

23. Annalise says:

Last time Sophie did that she rolled straight into the only obstacle on the entire hill - a giant, prickly, gorse bush. :-)

And, what is up with getting more motion sick as one gets older? I thought it was just me!

24. Brigitte says:

Hmm. I don’t get motion-sick yet (still love the roller coasters!). But all I can think about is all the slugs, spiders, etc. that live in that grass. I can deal with them on my feet, but not tangled up in my long hair or squashed against my head - eeeuuurggh!

25. meritt says:

I just get itchy from the grass.

26. Sue says:

I do remember…
    The grass that sticks to your dress and hair…
    The itchiness you get because of the sharp grass…

But it’s all worth the fun!!!