Buh-bye

Buh-bye

August 17, 2007

“It still really smells in here.”

“Have you considered cleaning the oven?”

“No. Not at all.”

“Or maybe throwing away the hamburgers that are still inside of it?”

“I was thinking we should just throw the hamburgers away with the oven.”

Good bye oven

Good riddance.

Comments

1. Christina says:

I second that motion :)

2. Woman with Kids says:

Wow. What a great idea. How would you work that into “getting rid of the stupid pink carpet in my bedroom?” Perhaps laying burnt hamburgers on it?

3. JustLinda says:

That is the very appliance I want to replace next. I’m waiting for it to die so I can buy a new one. So do share — how did you kill yours?? Does your husband know you did so purposefully in order to procure a shiny new large appliance or was it a subtle and slow poisoning that you confess only to your priest?

I must have a new stove. haha

4. Crisanne says:

That’s the greatest! What a way to get a new oven!

5. Lori says:

Your oven saga has made me think that ovens are useless and evil. I don’t think I’m going to use my oven in my apartment. I need it for more important things, like storing shoes.

6. Sus says:

You know what goes well with week-old charcoal hamburgers? Chunky milk. Hello new refrigerator;)

7. Maria says:

Wow - that’s an old oven. Have fun shopping for a new one.

Hey, now you don’t have to cook anymore!

9. Cate says:

Ahh, the new kitchen appliance smell!

Chris, I just built a house, and I liked your “Barley” wall color in the pictures so much it’s one step lighter shade, “Cornsilk,” is my interior house color. I’ve gotten so many compliments on it, and I feel like a dork saying, “Well, you see there’s this blog…”

10. Manic Mommy says:

I think I saw Alice pulling a mid-week turkey dinner out of just such and oven on The Brady Bunch. Musn’t get too close to the stove wearing all that polyester, Carole!

Um, nice floor too.

11. Not The Mama says:

Excellent! I’ll keep this tactic in mind next time I want/need to replace an appliance.

12. mimbles says:

I went for an embarrassingly long time with the express intention of cleaning my ancient and much loathed oven by the throw-it-out-and-buy-a-new-one method. It worked too, eventually :P When it died I refused to call in anyone to look at it, we went shopping instead. Unfortunately the new oven didn’t fit into the old oven’s spot and we had to buy a new cabinet to install it…which took us nearly 3 months to achieve. On the up-side I had a good excuse for buying rather than baking a couple of birthday cakes in that time.

New appliances are fun - enjoy!

13. Shannon says:

Does this mean you get a new oven?
    Or that the children will have to forage in the pantry?

That is my kind of cleaning! Go girl!

15. becky says:

i cooked for SIX years on an underpowered stove. it was just too old to operate at full capacity. we used a camp stove a lot, until we finally got around to breaking away all of the tile that surrounded the darn thing so we could pull it out. and 3 or 4 years later, we still haven’t finished all of the tile that should go back around it (but at least the counter does have its tile). *sigh*

16. jm says:

Hmm. Your husband is much shorter than I thought he was.

I bought a new car once ’cause I needed new tires. Same-same. ;-)

18. Lisa says:

now you have an excuse not to cook :)

19. Karen Vogel says:

Congratulations! I had to put my house on the market in order to get my new cooktop and oven. And I still managed to mess them up before we moved. Now we’re in a house with a 24-year-old cooking range and I told my husband, “Let’s just keep it until we kill it. It’s only a matter of time.”

20. Amy Girl says:

I didn’t realize that’s all you had to do to get a new oven. I shall begin the oven fires now.

21. kandle says:

Chris, I hope you don’t mind me posting this, and if you do, I won’t be offended if you remove this post. But I was inspired by this post do do an answering one of my own, here http://kandlenut.blogspot.com/2007/08/i-know-how-to-do-that.html . For anyone that wants to know how to get a new stove.

22. Wendy says:

OH MY GOD!! Not only did the oven burn your hamburgers and catch on fire, but it ATE your husband.

I have neighbors that were making french fries and got a whole new kitchen. Or if you would like a whole new house, just have a major hurricane hit. We have a lot of that going on around here, too.

23. sarah says:

I am having a new oven delivered in two weeks and will be doing that very same thing to my old oven. I am oh so very very excited! I can’t wait to see pictures of yours!!…please tell me there will be pictures?! :)

24. CathyC says:

Oh that is one good husband. When are you getting a new oven?

25. Daphne says:

Hi, I stumbled upon your blog via someone else’s *funny how that works*. I just wanted you to know that this post made me smile and laugh - enough for my husband to ask what was so funny. He wouldn’t have appreciated the humor - I kept it my little secret. Thanks for creating my highlight of the day.

26. jean says:

Can you come over here and help me with my oven? I now have a sign over it “DARE TO COOK”. My husband still doesn’t get it.

27. Kathy says:

I absolutely LOVE the painting to the right of the oven in the photo. I love the colors.

28. Fold My Laundry Please says:

You cook hamburgers in the oven? Not in a frying pan? For some reason that baffles me. Oh, and, yay, new oven!

29. Brigitte says:

When you have to cook about 15 patties at once, they won’t fit in a frying pan!

Reminds me of how you got rid of the sofa . . what unwanted item will go next (besides an unruly child)?

30. Denise says:

LOL Did you know TW’s ex husband bought a new refrigerator right after they split up… the children said they had to do this because TW left a coke in the freezer and it exploded in there and could not be cleaned. Ha.

Yah! New oven!

32. Heather B. says:

I love the decor of that kitchen ;-)

(P.S. it’s 4:40 pm and I left at 3:15 and have been home for about half an hour. Awesome)

33. Lazy Organizer says:

I knew a woman once who “accidentally” let her 2 year old play with a bottle of hair dye and he spilled it all over the carpet. In every room. Woops! Her insurance got to replace all the carpet in the whole house. Funny how it was ugly old carpet that needed replacing.

I’m not suggesting anything but would you like a whole new house? Next time, don’t put that fire out quite so fast. A new oven is good too though.

34. bonnie says:

Throwing your husband out with the old oven seems a bit extreme. Perhaps you should try to forgive him for the cleaning comment. You know what they say about the baby and the bath water after all.

35. MsRebecca says:

I love new ovens! mostly without the burgers in them though..

36. Joy H says:

Yippee!!!!!! Gonna use my new oven for the 1st time tonight!