Floating

Floating

August 20, 2007

100_7092

My daughter spent the entire afternoon yesterday in a lake, hanging onto a large floating inner tube thing, kicking her little legs. She literally spent hours at a party yesterday in the water doing this.

I was tired just watching her.

What do you think the odds are that she went to bed early? And/or slept in?

If you answered slim to none you would be right.

As for me, sitting in my easy chair on land, repeatedly scanning the lake, picking out my children from among the party goers, counting to seven over and over again like a person with a bad case of OCD– I am still tired.

Comments

1. Jennie says:

What a great shot!

When I was pregnant and exhausted, I read that fatigue subsides after the first trimester. Of course my son is almost three and I’m still tired.

2. Maria says:

Oh, I just did this last weekend at a “beach” in Upstate New York, which is really like two truckloads of sand on the edge of a lake. I was able to stop counting at six; five really, if you count that the baby was asleep under a blanket. I counted her anyway. How can you not count the baby?

3. Mary Jo says:

Geez, I thought counting to two over and over again was tiring. Love the picture and I’m glad I found your blog. I’m not sure where my brain would be if I weren’t blogging myself and reading others’ obsessively.

4. Moose says:

I admire you. I flip out if my dog ducks out of sight for more than two minutes.

5. janet says:

My oldest is 26 (youngest is 13) and I STILL count. 1… 2… 3… 4… ok.

6. Not The Mama says:

What a great shot. She just gets prettier and prettier.

I remember the days of swimming from dawn to dusk and still having tons of energy left over. If only we could bottle some of that for the grown ups!

7. Mary Tsao says:

The first thing I thought of when I saw the picture was the horror of watching kids in a pool, let alone a lake!

There will be a special spot in hell for people who throw pool parties!!

Perhaps you should entertain the idea of learning to count to seven in other languages…just to whoop it up! What a nice pic though!

9. Tal says:

Heh. Not OCD, but you would have made a super lifeguard! Although counting the seven that mean the most to you sounds more exhausting than counting up to 175 non-stop, I will admit. Love the picture.

10. Fairly Odd Mother says:

Gosh, I only have to go up to 3 and I still get tired! Great photo. My 4yo goes nuts when her fingers and toes ‘prune’ but she still refuses to get out of the water.

11. Karen Vogel says:

Amazing how enervating just watching children is. You would have felt less tired if you had been the one paddling around. I know my kids wonder why I act so old and tired. Well, it’s their fault.

12. Deputy's Wife says:

I don’t know how you do it. I can barely keep my sanity when I take my three boys to the pool. One-two-three-one-two-three. That is all I do the entire time I am there. I am sure it is the reason why I have a tall cool glass of an adult beverage when I get home.

13. Grim Reality Girl says:

I only have 2 kids but I’m often with my niece as well. I don’t call it a “day at the beach.” I call it DEATH WATCH. Counting is good. How the heck do people read a book while their kids swim? Hello? Undertow???

I agree with Deputy’s Wife — an adult beverage at the end of the day can be a good idea!

14. Sasha says:

LOL!

I count to 6 all the time…first I count out the 5 kids and then I scan for my husband and I double or triple check so quickly it makes me want to scream sometimes.

Although, it’s always interesting when you come up with a higher number.

I think the funniest story to date was when I came up with an extra girl in my count at a store. When we found her grandma, the little girl told her she saw a line of kids and thought she should get in line too!

(I keep all the kids in line by age when we go places so that it’s easier for me to see who is missing if anyone is.)

I would be exhausted from all the counting too. That picture of her is too cute.

16. BetteJo says:

I wanna be her! No worries and the energy to kick in the water all day!!

17. Mel says:

That is exactly what it’s like for me and my daughter. She turns 5 in two weeks . . . she will swim for two hours in the pool, run around annoying her older brothers the rest of the afternoon, run two laps around the track at football practice and then whine about going to bed.

Meanwhile, I have died of a stroke.

18. Brigitte says:

And if it wasn’t for having to be on DEATH WATCH (I like that term, Grim Reality Girl!), it could be YOU lazily floating around in the tube all day, so long as you are supplied with the proper libations in that-there cupholder.

I get too stressed out taking 2 kids to the pool. The thought of a lake or a beach…..well I think I’d just freak out and become a puddle on the floor.

20. Manic Mommy says:

I’ve taken to dressing my boys alike when we go to parties, museums, playgrounds, etc. That way my addled brain only has to focus in on one pattern - like zebras in the wild.

We’re headed to Story Land this weekend. Wish me luck!

One, two…one, two…one, two…

Adult Beverage? Why yes, thank you.

That’s why I stopped at 5. I can’t count to seven. *winks*

Cute picture and good luck with wearing them out, I haven’t found anything that works for mine yet.

22. CathyC says:

How could she be tired? she looks so relaxed.

23. Jenn says:

Oh, I’m so glad someone else counts regularly and gets tires sitting watching her children play. It’s exhausting!!! And I only have to count to six…unless some bring friends then I have to remember what number to count to!

24. Leeann says:

oh my God. When I first saw the picture of your daughter, I thought the chair said “Chill Slut” on the back. LOL!
    You can bet i looked twice in a hurry!
    Leeann
    niccofive.blogspot.com

Ah the counting. I understand the counting.

26. jody2ms says:

She’s a natural in the water!

She needs a Hello Kitty surf board.

27. tori says:

I have four kids, and absolutely know what you mean by counting to 7 like someone with OCD. I count to 4 repeatedly (6 when I watch my two daycare kids too) and always wonder if it’s possible to actually give yourself OCD because of this required counting. Time will tell I guess.

Awesome picture!

28. Rae says:

Oh gosh. That sounds exhausting. (For you, not her)