Just tryin’ to impress you with my stellar parenting skills

Just tryin’ to impress you with my stellar parenting skills

August 21, 2007

Last night it suddenly got quiet.

“Hmmmm, why is Miles being so quiet?” I asked Rob.

“I think he fell asleep,” he answered.

asleep

Why yes, he is asleep.

So tired

And what were we doing that was so important that we failed to notice our tired toddler lay down on the floor?

He's asleep?  Who?  Where?

Watching riveting television and eating popsicles, of course.

Or in my case, working on my computer, ignoring my husband, and eating a popsicle.

I think the popsicles are to blame.

I am not sure who is to blame for the bickering that occurred after this over who was going to carry him to bed.

“But I am working.”
“Instant messaging is not working.”
“I am just telling Mir about this that I was writing. And I knew you wouldn’t appreciate it.”

“And you are doing?”
“I am watching the hurricane.”
“And that is important because we live thousands of miles away?”

“That weather guy looks an awful lot like Seinfeld. Oh wait, you ARE watching Seinfeld.”

In the end my compelling arguments, or laziness, won and Rob brought him up to bed.

Comments

Your husband is good looking, no wonder you have seven kids:)

2. BeingParents says:

Our daughter falls asleep the floor as well. The important thing is to keep them in sight.

3. Bethany says:

Your husband has a young Tommy Lee Jones look. (That’s a good thing.)

4. Heather B. says:

And how many popsicles did Rob eat?

5. Diatribal says:

Poor baby. I might have just left him there!

6. janet says:

Popsicles have always been my downfall. Fortunately, my kids got old enough to put THEMSELVES to bed when my parenting skills were … ahem … delayed by icy treats.

7. brit says:

apparently its that kind of day. I just found my seventeen month old leaking blackberry colored poo all over the house. He had already decorated his face with it.

8. Carrie @ Three-Girl Circus says:

I love the ‘what?’ look on your husband’s face in the last picture.

9. Not The Mama says:

Haha. Don’t blame the popcicles or you might feel compelled to banish them. THEN what would you do?

10. Carolynn from Western Australia says:

Hi Chris,

We are back from our trip around Australia and I am about 2/3rds unpacked and clothes washed and ironed, I just need to complete the job. Due to extremely intermitant availability of Internet Access, what I ended up doing was taking over 2000 photos and wrote a hand written log in a note book with memo’s to myself for more details on various things and places. What my plan now is, is to write 2 Weblogs. One will be a summary with pics for those only interested in a brief look and another more detailed informative one with extra pics and hopefully (if I get how to do it) links to various places where you can find more details. I will let you know when I have either of them done, I may start the summary first then expand on that. I’m hoping your children will find it all interesting and maybe give them some ideas about where they would like to travel when they have grown up and saved their pennies.

Hey what is wrong with young Miles sleeping on the floor anyway, afterall he is asleep isn’t that the main thing.

Have managed to catch up with your journal from when we went away on June 13th. As per usual you kept me amused, I certainly wished I had the same way with words as you do, it would make my journal so much more entertaining, but I will try. If you have any handy hints on how to go about this project and you can spare a few mins I’d really love to hear from you.

Your whole family is so good looking, including yourself, for a lady who has had 7 children you look so fresh and young.
    Take Care, Love to you and your family.
    Carolynn

11. kate says:

you two are hysterical!

Miles is definitely asleep!

Love his cozy pjs too cute! Miles Pj’s of course not Rob’s!

Kate, I was thinking how much I like Rob’s pajamas.

What???

13. Amanda says:

how cute! My 2yr old has those same pajamas. Our motto here is “leave them where they lay.” Why risk waking them?

14. Esme says:

I wish my toddler would lie down on the floor and fall asleep peacefully while I ate an icy popcicle treat.

Instead, Four turns into an extremely loud but very considerate banshee who wails, “I AM MELTING DOWWWWWWWN!!!!” just in case we hadn’t noticed that she’s melting down and needs to go to bed.

Thank god for bourbon. I mean popcicles.

15. Jenni-nifr says:

I can’t get over the footie pj’s and long sleeves and pants for pj’s in August. In Texas, that is just wrong! So. Very. Very. Wrong. Miles is awfully cute though! Congrats for “winning” that one!

16. Dana says:

I was just thinking the same thing that Jenni-nifr was. I would give anything to be able to wear footie pjs or long sleeves in August.

17. Loralee says:

Blame the Popsicle. Why didn’t I think of this?

18. Sarah says:

How could you ignore a husband like that? Hubba Hubba!!

19. Diane says:

Oh, hysterical! He just found himself a corner and drifted off. Yes, must be the popsicle. And if you’re as far up north as I am, footie pj’s were a must! My son was bundled up last night too.

20. rimarama says:

Wow, that scene is uncannily similar to evenings at our house! Where is that gorgeous couch from, BTW? We are looking to replace ours (source of poopy smell cannot be pinpointed).

21. Sherry says:

I have flannel sheets the exact same pattern as Rob’s lounge britches. Don’t ever get those sheets. He would blend.

22. Manic Mommy says:

I was expecting the next picture to be Miles, still on the floor but under a blanket, and the lights and TV turned off for the night.

Let sleeping children lay.

Rob may have Disaster Man Complex - must.watch.hurricane.

23. Karly says:

I heart your rug.

24. Mrs. Schmitty says:

Awwww…how cute!!

25. carrie says:

Wish I could fall asleep that fast, and in such a precarious position!

Those were the days!

You are my parenting idol.

27. WhatWorksForMom says:

Now that’s hilarious. I vote popsicle.

I’m with Jenni-nifr. I am burning UP just looking at the long sleeved, footie pj’s. Miles is a cutie, though.
    John is just like Rob, or maybe most men, the hurricane fascinates him.

29. Karen Vogel says:

I guess I’m too far gone. I saw nothing weird or wrong about the toddler asleep on the floor. He was asleep, that’s all that matters. As in, not talking your ears off or getting into trouble.

And isn’t it amazing the stupid things we find to argue with our spouses about? What I love is when I volunteer to change a poopie diaper, and it turns out to be a false alarm. I still get poop credits. Is anyone else this petty?

30. Shannon says:

Humph. I think men should do any and all jobs that involve heavy lifting. So long as said man is available. And a toddler counts as heavy.

31. OMSH says:

My rule is if they look comfortable, leave them there.

Okay fine, that isn’t my rule, but that would have been my argument if I was IM’ing (er … working) and was asked to do the task of tuck-in.

heh heh

32. BetteJo says:

I’m all about the idea that he’s sleeping and - what’s the problem?

33. Shannon @ Rocks in my Dryer says:

I’m very heartened to hear that other couples have these conversations.

34. JustLinda says:

What a coincidence- I just blogged about how my little one goes missing and quiet too. Only when that happens here, it usually ends in the discovery of household vandalism. LOL

Cute picture. Way to hang in and win the argument!

35. nan says:

My eldest used to fall asleep in his porrige at night as a toddler. My husband would say “look! Look! He’s gonna do it!” and because we are so cruel, we would watch, giggling and nudging each other as the poor child’s eyes drooped and his head lolled, and he ended up with his face in his warm food, snoring. He would sleep through the wipe-up, and be tucked in only slightly porrigey. He is nine now, and appears relatively un-traumatized by this. It will probably all come out in therapy in later years.

36. Megan says:

You and your husband are sooooo funny to me! You guys are hilarious! I would have been just excited that my toddler went to sleep on his own without the drama of “putting him to bed”. Dun, dun, dunnnnnn.

I like that Rob remained in place for the picture. The threat of the camera usually gets mine to move out of the photo op (although not necessarily to fix whatever I’m taking a picture of).

I love sleeping babies. *sigh*

38. meritt says:

HEY WAIT! My husband has those same exact pants. :)

39. Stu Mark says:

This photo-essay has been nominated by our readers for Hot Stuff Of the Week over at our site, GNMParents. Congrats, and good luck in the voting!

40. sarcastic journalist says:

I am confused as to why you are dressed for winter. We wear those clothes in WINTER, my dear. WHEN IT IS COLD. Tis August, which means everyone sleeps in underwear.

Do explain.

41. Pamela says:

I guess Miles is all ready for bed. He is already in pyjamas. When children sleep, they look so peaceful. Good for you. How do you manage 7 kids as others mention in your blog. Really, 7 of them and working mum ? I salute you!!

42. mbbored says:

I agree with Heather: no wonder you have 7 kids. Your husband is a gorgeous man.

43. liz says:

Let sleeping kids lie.

Your husband is a cutie, as are you. No wonder your kids are frelling gorgeous.

44. Ani says:

I sigh wistfully for the long sleeves and footie pj’s. It’s 100+ outside and 80 inside.

45. Dave Hughes says:

It’s the Febreze on the carpet.

46. Mary Jo says:

It looks very cozy at your house - it’ll be months before pj pants and long sleeves can happen here in TX!

47. qtpies7 says:

I’m just wondering why Miles didn’t get an icy treat? That’s the real question!
    We are nice parents, we wait until the buggers are sleeping before we eat the treats we are not about to share with the little buzzards.

48. MDB says:

Such a familiar story which makes it so funny :)
    It is nice to see the battles of other parents. I am desperately looking for advice on my blog if anyone wants to drop in and leave some.

49. Emily says:

So funny! I could totally see that happening in my house!!! Popsicles and all…

50. Jenna says:

Popcicles are the downfall of our household as well. (Nick has the same PJs.)

51. GreenCanary says:

7lbs of ice for a buck eighty-nine? What a bargain!

52. Kristen says:

God I wish popsicles would do that to my kid.

The question is: WHAT is in those popsicles?

53. Lori at Spinning Yellow says:

Hey - we have the same rug.

54. ShayShay says:

Sleeping kids, sleeping dogs…let em be. Hey, last night Pookie ate chocolate chip cookie dough while I watched Grey’s Anatomy DVDs, spitting the dough out all around the house. I guess now I know she doesn’t like cookie dough.

55. Ruth H says:

I think it is wonderful to see. I can imagine how secure he felt with Dad’s leg making his comfy little tent to sleep in. Dad’s on guard, all’s right with the world.

56. McIlroy has a lot of work to do to catch Stricker | votycitomi says:

[...] pogo kings of leon cheese battlefield bad company 2 ea ryan kwanten ryan kwanten Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. ← What we learned Thursday night [...]