And all this time I thought it was well known

And all this time I thought it was well known

August 22, 2007

shhhhh, the whole country is a SECRET

This is a sign in front of a small sandwich shop near where I live. Whenever I head into the “big” towns to go shopping I drive by it.

The first few times I thought that surely the owner would realize their mistake and change the sign. Or that some patron would enlighten them. But as the months have gone by and the sign is STILL there in front of their store everyday I can only guess that this is not going to happen.

I thought briefly about making an anonymous phone call, along the lines of, “Hungary? Everyone has totally heard of it. It’s not a secret.”

Then I decided I had to photograph it, because what if someone did tell them and they did change it. Then I promptly forgot my camera every time I left the house. Until today.

I have the urge to go in the middle of the night and change it for them.

gabon

and then,

moldova

Do you think they might get it? Probably not, but at least it would amuse me.

Comments

oh please, PLEASE change it for them and then take more pictures for our entertainment. try not to get arrested though. that would be a great blog story, but probably not any fun.

2. chilihead says:

Half my jokes (OK, who am I kidding? ALL my jokes) only amuse me. But I like to laugh so it’s totally worth it.

If I lived near you, we could take turns changing the sign under the cover of night. We could surprise each other with our amazing geography lessons every. single. day.

3. Loralee says:

I dare you.
    I double-dog dare you.

4. Mary Jo says:

I’ll have to triple-dog dare you but you’ll have to have an accomplice to take pics for us. Wait. That would be evidence. Never mind.

5. Jaxter says:

OMG - You absolutely have to change it now - we are all going to be breathlessly checking until you do!! What a riot it would be to see their confused faces the next morning…

6. Fairly Odd Mother says:

Oh, I love this.

There is a coffee stop on the side of a highway near me; it looks like some portable type that is just set up at key times of the day. One of the signs says “Coffee SOTP”—not nearly as funny as Hungary, but it makes me crazy that no one has fixed it yet.

7. Jess says:

Do it do it do it. Ok sound like an 8yr old but still, do it do it!!

8. Caitlin says:

‘Spelling’ is obviously another best kept secret for the shop owner.

Yes, change the sign.

9. Daisy says:

You could change it to Turkey, but that might be too abstract.

10. Denise says:

oh do me a favor, go change it to BlogHer best kept secret. Pleaseee.

11. Jen says:

I’m a spaz… I didn’t even notice the spelling! I was too busy marveling at the fact that a 7lb. bag of ice is the best kept secret for the cure for hunger!

12. Scylla says:

I love it!! Please change their sign!! Please oh please!!!

13. Ginny says:

How’s the fewd there? I am hungary.

How about instead of changing hungry, you slowly start misspelling the rest of the sign. Best kept secert for starters…

15. JustLinda says:

Is the suggestion that if one is hungry (or even hungary) then a 7 pound bag of ice would somehow be desirable???

I don’t get it. LOL

16. Sara says:

BWAHAHA!! Made my night. You have got to do some stealth rearranging. Come on…the internet is triple-dog daring you…

17. Holly Smith says:

Hee Hee Hee Hee! I think they are getting better advertising, though. Perhaps every company need to try misspellings…like Yoplay yogurt or Oweos.

You should get the marketing companies in on this!

Blessings,
    Holly

PS OR you could write “Greece.”

18. Holly Smith says:

I meant “needs.” Yikes I better watch out for the log in my eye, huh?

19. moi says:

at least it didn’t say 7lb bags of ice cold ice.

20. Heather K says:

One of the local nursery schools has a huge sign that reads “NURSRY SCHOOL”

21. Missy K says:

Our local Blimpie sub shop has a sign advertising a new “sandwitch”. I really wanted to say something because it bothered me… but I didn’t.

22. Andrea says:

I am laughing so hard right now.

I would totally call them, but then I’m obnoxious like that.

24. Sueb0b says:

We think alike. Scary, huh?

25. M says:

OMG! “Hungary” is almost as good as the “CIRRICULUM NIGHT” posted on the marquee at the school where I work! I posed like Vannah White below it and got a photo…tempted to put it on my blog but thought it could get me fired.

26. Anna says:

Daisy, that’s brilliant! I like ‘grease’, too. hee hee

27. poppy fields says:

Yes, do it!

28. Fold My Laundry Please says:

Shhhhhh! Don’t tell anyone! If you tell, it won’t be a secret anymore!

29. Fold My Laundry Please says:

When I was on vacation once, we saw a sign outside a restaurant that advertised, “hamburgers with kepchut”!

30. Anna says:

A guy at work asked me one night how to spell “fount”, as in “I ‘fount’ a penny”. You could aslo change it from “Hungary” to “Hungarian”.

31. Sara says:

There was a landscape/floral shop around here that had “fresh cut penis” on their marquee. I’m quite certain that they meant peonies. You can be sure that it stopped traffic. In fact, a friend of mine said he couldn’t help himself, he had to pull over and take a picture. They took it down pretty quick. I’m sure all of the honking and people pulling over alerted them that something was up.

32. Brigitte says:

Sara, that is TOO much!

I still get irked when I think about my father (who doesn’t read english that well) getting a professional to paint a sign on his contractor truck, and they spelled “remodeling” like “remodling”, which of course my father would never catch. Grr!

33. CathyC says:

Maybe you can send them a dictionary? I think they would appreciate knowing. But I really like the Gabon sign :)
    BTW, there’s tax on ice????

34. Lori says:

You should change it for them! Except maybe make if more obvious, like “United States?”

35. Mary Alice says:

That is brilliant! Down south they drink a LOT of sweet (ice) tea. In fact if you do not want sweet tea with your meal you have to say “UNsweet, please” and they look at you like you’re crazy, shrug, and go make it up special….anyway there was a great barbeque place that we frequented and their sign once advertised “pulled pork sandwich and a large SWEAT tea” We have called it that ever since.

36. MamaMaven says:

I am sure you are not the ONLY one it would entertain. I am sure there are lots of other people who snicker every time they drive by. Maybe its their gimick to get people to come in just to correct them.

37. Common Mom says:

I would totally change it . . . over and over and over . . . what a hoot!

38. qtpies7 says:

I think the ice being good for hunger is more disturbing than the misspelling. It was a little weird reading Hungary, but the whole ice and secret for when you are hungry got me.
    You could easily change the sign, do a little driveby, drop a kid or two off, then circle back to pick them up. Take a pic the next day, and amuse us to no end!

39. Cara says:

I was just talking to a bunch of my friends last night about what a pet peeve it is for me to see mispelled signs…Like they left it up to some teenage no-brain to spell on their marquees and stuff. ARGH. “garage sell”.
    CHANGE IT!

40. Laura says:

That cracks me up! I once dated a guy (allegedly a Ph.D) who e-mailed me more than once saying that he was “hungary.” I replied that I was Denmark. He totally didn’t get it! We broke up.

LMAO, Laura!!!

That is my all time, top of the list pet peeve! If you are going to put up a sign for the public to read, at least check your spelling first.
    I say change it. You HAVE to!

43. Stephanie Chance says:

simply add at the bottom, “Sneaky Hungarians…”

44. Kathy says:

Woo hoo! Somebody knows that Moldova exists!

45. Dana says:

Our local Dairy Queen was advertising “Turtle Waffle Bowels” on their billboard a couple of months ago. I couldn’t take it; I had to tell the manager (after I took a picture and posted it on my blog, of course).

46. Blythe says:

ROFL! Signs like that crack me up.. there is a haircut place right next door to the grocery store here and they changed management recently. My mom and I were driving by and saw the sign and it read “Under New Mananagement” we were laughing so hard lol.

There was also one for an antique store that read “Antique tables made daily” LOL!

47. Virginia says:

That sign (and the comments) cracks me up! I totally agree with everyone else - change it!!

As one of my co-workers used to sign his email…

Have a grate day!