Their New Home

Their New Home

August 24, 2007

In Their New Home

I have only threatened to toss it into the firepit and burn it twice. Which considering the amount of bickering over the door open, door shut, window open, window shut, decorations, pillows, crown wearing, who is breathing on whom… considering all that, I should be up for sainthood.

Comments

1. Esme says:

Love seeing those happy faces!

I knew I was hitting adulthood when I became more psyched about the new appliances than about the gigantic boxes they came in… thank goodness I had some kids so I could remember the fun part again.

2. Salsaqueen says:

Dang, can I come to your house and play too?!

That was always the best part about new appliances. The BOX!

3. Manic Mommy says:

Appliance deliveries used to be big news for the whole neighborhood! Fridges were tops but a good washer or dryer box was still cause for celebration.

4. Midsummer Night says:

Somedays I am so glad to know that I am not alone. True I only have four during the day, but a lot of toys get taken away. Every. Darn. Day.

5. GreenCanary says:

I want to wear the crown :-)

6. hipwritermama says:

Amazing what magical worlds children will venture into with only a box. Great picture.

7. Karen Vogel says:

Sorry - even Mother Teresa would lose it on some of the days we face - it’s the mind-numbing minutiae of the kids’ quarrels that will kill you. Like Chinese water torture - drop by drop…

Well they are sleeping in there now right? And eating? That means your house will be that much cleaner!

(I’ll just be over here in the Mean Mommy corner again.)

9. BetteJo says:

Ah the joys of cardboard. Don’t you love how much fun they get out of that as opposed to all the toys we buy them? Imagination!

10. Kerry says:

I would have decided for them; shut and duct taped. :)

11. Monique says:

I just keep sending your stories to my daughter:) You are so adorable w/ your adorable kids..
    This one..I love..(OK all the others also…)

12. Lisa says:

Oh - but you are….up for sainthood!
    Saint Christine - patron saint of playdough, scissors, balloons, boxes, and other annoying toys.

P. S. Guess what? They don’t outgrow it! I have twin 14 year old boys who are posterchildren for - “You aren’t going to throw that away, are you?” This question applies to all items made of cardboard - packng boxes, shoe boxes, etc.
    It was a day of mourning in our household when they realized that the new refrigerator came without a box. (I slipped the delivery man a $20 bill to unbox it inside of the truck.) Shameless!

13. Daisy says:

What, they can’t ALL wear crowns? :)

14. Single Mom With Tiny Tot says:

Did you know that the Cardboard Box is the only toy inducted into the National Toy Hall of Fame that isn’t actually a toy?

15. Kathy in WA says:

Sweet picture. Just think of all the memories they’re creating. Hopefully they will forget the ones with voices raised and veins popping and just remember the fun. I’m counting on that myself (daily).

Duckabush Blog

16. Carolynn from Western Australia says:

Hey, a couple of those don’t even look like they are yours ?????

Do your cupboards get put up and together for you or do you have to do it yourselves?

Take Care
    Love Carolynn :)

I vaguely remember the joys of cardboard houses. *sigh*

18. Suburban Turmoil says:

I think it’s great that you’re teaching your kids to get used to living in a box. You know, just in case…

19. Jenn says:

Funny how something you think would be fun and creative turns into a headache sometimes!

20. Annalise says:

I hate it when people breathe on me too. :-)

I suspect they’ll remember the fun, rather than the bickering, though. Unless they are like my oldest, whose memory seems to work the other way…

21. Sue says:

Wow… I wish I had a cardboard box in my house too :-)
    In our previous house, I used to climb in the built-in wardrobe… It feels like my grandmother’s old house…
    Wait! Climbing in wardrobes? Ofcourse, I’m not under ten… I’m 25!
    ;-) Sue

22. Not The Mama says:

I remember the days of joy (and fighting) that came with huge cardboard boxes. Oh the memories…

23. Kimmie says:

What fun, my question would be…do they invite their mum in for tea? or can you only peak in the window, which looks to be heavily guarded at the moment.

Your family is lovely!

Kimmie
    mama to 6
    one homemade and 5 adopted
    presently on another adoption journey…come see!

24. karalyn says:

Is that the scent of burning cardboard I smell?

25. Beverly says:

I love this picture!

I remember those days of cardboard box houses. I miss them!

(And I never caught a picture of the kids playing in their “house”. Good for you!)

26. carrie says:

Windows shut! No, windows open!

Enjoy the box. Your kids are so cute!!!

27. Laura says:

I used to love to play in cardboard boxes. This really brings back the memories…

28. sandra says:

Someone recently said this about my daughter, and it’s echoing in my head as I look at yours: it’s so clear in her face that she has so much *personality*.

29. mary says:

about to hurt myself laughing….

I always want to slap myself when i allow a big box to come in the house.

And there have been plenty of them with their dad being an HVAC contractor!