Hey, look over there

Hey, look over there

August 29, 2007

Skeleton Leaf

A skeleton leaf, as named by my 6 yr old son.

How was that for changing the subject? Smooth, huh?

If one more person tells me that Winter is right around the corner I am going to have to punch them.

Comments

1. LammyAnn says:

Absolutly gorgeous.
    I’ve never seen such a thing.

2. ~Tammy~ says:

I love the way kids come up with such appropriate names.
    When we lived out in the contry, one of my twins (4 at the time) brought in a feather- he announced he had found a “turkey leaf”. It was a feather from a wild turkey.

3. ~Tammy~ says:

uh- spell that COUNTRY

4. Crisanne says:

I love leaves like that. While I’m ready for fall to hit here, I’m not ready for leaves like that on the ground yet. Yikes!

5. annette says:

Wasn’t it just yesterday we were monitoring the neverending snow in your backyard? Ugggghhhh! That IS going to be here before you know it!

I’m ready. Bring the winter. Because one more day of temperatures near 100 may kill me.

Seriously.

7. Chuck says:

That is a birch leaf the Japanese beetles have eaten… go kick the tree and watch more fly away.

8. Jenn says:

AMEN! Officially it’s not even Fall yet. Let me enjoy the last of warm temps, flip-flops, and grilling before we have to freeze, bundle-up, and use the crock-pot!

9. Chandra says:

I can send some 90 degree weather your way if you’d like :)
    However, I’m definitely not ready for winter. While Missouri has it’s downfalls, the mild winters are starting to grow on me (but I do miss the snow). Cool leaf and picture!

10. Mary Alice says:

Winter can wait a while. I need to soak up some more sun energy to store in my roots so I can make it through all those cold short winter days.

11. Daphne says:

Perhaps DS is actually a botanist at heart, because that is actually called a skeleton leaf. I’ve never seen one so so perfect - I must admit I am a tad jealous.

12. Brigitte says:

I was about to Google it to confirm, but Daphne said it first, your DS is right!

Currently, the only “plus” I can foresee for your next winter is . . most of the bears will be sleeping?

13. Claudette says:

Up here in Toronto fall is my favorite season. Summery weather during the day minus the annoying humidity, cool, brisk evenings (and mornings, got tot in house who is up at 6…ish), and lots of fresh food harvested from here and there….but snow? Paleeeeeseee…I’m not ready! What am I supposed to do with all the construciton debris on my driveway if it snows? Blah.

14. Lori says:

I’m not ready for winter. In Oklahoma, we have like a week of fall (and spring) before the harsher seasons hit. I know it doesn’t get as bad here as in New England, but considering how hot our summers are, I think it’s comparable.

I really like that leaf. It kinda freaked me out at first just because it looked like a bug. Beautiful though.

15. janet says:

I’m with Susan. Bring it on.

16. Kristen says:

Fall. Just a little fall would be nice. Really.

17. Personal Chef to 2 says:

I say bring it on … I’m more than ready for a good hair day!

18. Laundry & Children says:

That is way better than what my son brought me, a mouth full of dirt. Yes, a mouth full.

19. Karen Vogel says:

Yup, they’re wrong. Wait until September 1st - then winter (or, more accurately, Christmas) is right around the corner. Every year (now that I have children), it’s the same thing - one minute it is the beginning of September and the leaves are starting to turn, the next minute it’s mid-December and I am up to my neck in holiday traditions. Whoosh! Just like that.

20. Mama Bear says:

This picture should be framed, it’s gorgeous. The colors are beautiful and to have the image of your son’s hand at that age for years would be a wonderful momento.
    Skip the winter, frame the picture.

21. Not The Mama says:

Wow, gorgeous. Winter seems a million years away here, but I’m looking forward to fall.

22. carrie says:

I love fall. That is a cool leaf!!!

23. Shannon says:

I guess now would not be the time to gloat about Southern winters.

But really, I am ready for fall.

24. MrsFierceShoes says:

Can I send some record-breaking scorching temperatures your way? It’s been hotter’n heck here… I wish I remembered what ‘winter’ was.

25. Busy Me!! says:

Its just changed to springtime her in Aus…… although we did have 4 really gorgeous days of sunshine its raining today :( I don’t actually mind the rain too much, its a great excuse not to have to do washing to hang out… LOL :)

Absolutely gorgeous picture by the way :)

26. Sharon Pavey says:

Beautiful leaf and lovely photo. You can press some lovely leaves like this with our wooden flower press,,then make into pictures. http://www.tishtashtoys.com