A Room Fit For Hannibal

A Room Fit For Hannibal

September 15, 2007

My 10 yr old son and I painted his bedroom yesterday afternoon.

This was a long time coming. We went to the paint store more than once and picked out paint swatches. We narrowed it down and brought home a paint sample, which we rejected for being too dark.

We went back to the paint store and using one of Benjamin Moore’s helpful charts that showed co-ordinating colors picked a color that matched his sheets and comforter.

So excited we were. We came home and immediately (five days later) began painting.

I knew when I opened the can that we were in trouble. It looked rather peach like. Tra-la-la, I ignore it.

And so we paint. I wish that I could say that any reservations I had melted away as I saw the lovely color paint up on the walls. But sadly that is not so.

But we painted on with our $35 a gallon non-returnable paint. My son was happy with it. Probably because he was just happy to be using the roller and painting his name is huge graffiti-like letters on the walls.

After we finished for the day, I stepped back and looked around the room. It is the color of flesh.

I turned to my son, “It takes the lotion and rubs it on it’s skin.”

“Yeah, you’re weird.” he replied.

I am waiting to see how the room looks with the different lighting of different times of day. I really don’t want to have to repaint the room. Maybe we can just hang up lots of posters? Or keep the lights off?

Comments

1. Yogamum says:

After making that lotion connection, I don’t think I could ever be happy with the paint color. Did your son get the reference?

2. Sueb0b says:

I once painted the downstairs guest bedroom a color the exMrStapler described as “Looks like a smoker lived here for years.”

3. Becca says:

I remember ages ago moving into a new house with my parents, where they promptly painted a wall in their bedroom with a color that turned out to be rather pinker than they had suspected.

If you’re going to repaint, Benjamin Moore has these cute little sample containers that have an ounce or two of paint for a few bucks.

4. Ani says:

Heck as long as he likes it, you can always change it later. Much later. Like when someone else buys the house.

5. NoMasNinos says:

It reminds me of the time when I was 8 months pregnant and we spent two days painting my son’s room Kraft Macaroni Yellow hoping it would look better when it dried. Nope, it was the same ugly color a day later. We spent the next two days repainting it a safe beige while swearing. It was August in Texas and we had to keep the windows open. Soooo miserable!

6. EZibbets says:

You could sponge it so the fleshtone is a background color to something else. It’s totally FAST and EASY and changes the look a lot.

I painted our bathroom a lovely coral (on the swatch) that turned out so bright and hideous I cried. After it was mottled with another color it looked great.

-Elizabeth

7. Brianna says:

Pictures, pictures!

8. Not The Mama says:

Yikes. Hopefully the color will grow on you. And I agree: we want pictures!

9. Maddy says:

I left a particularly bad paint and trim combination on the walls in my kitchen for years. I was just too exhausted by the whole painting effort to fix it.

Looking back, I should have re-painted rather than live with my paint mistake all that time. I did learn that some people believe bright yellow paint can cause anxiety! Yep, I now believe that it can. Not sure what the rule is on flesh color.

Maybe it will grow on you?

10. kate says:

you cant leave us without pictures!

11. Megan Del says:

Hey Chris:

I’m de-lurking after several months of enjoying your posts. My step-daughter’s room (age 6) is a delightful Pepto-Bismol pink. We’ve been slowly introducing the idea of a new color. . .how about a nice GREEN? or BLUE? I hadn’t thought of Hannibal-flesh-peach as an option, but now I will.
    I love reading your home improvement adventures as well as your parenting tales. Your honesty and humor are a great encouragement.

12. jm says:

Ooooo. Photos!

13. Jen says:

If your son is happy, isn’t that all that really matters?

If not, you can always put a glaze over it to change the “flesh” tone.

14. Elizabeth says:

My oldest lived her teen years in a room she deliberately painted bright golden yellow with a bright orange ceiling. You could literally see the glow coming out of her door from down the hall. She loved it, but her college dorm room is now all pink. (Next daughter now has the room, and first order of business was painting to a white ceiling and trim, with pale yellow walls - but only after I talked her out of green walls.)

15. Suzanne says:

Worry if he starts asking for fava beans and cianti with dinner…

16. Suzanne says:

*chianti

(you can tell I drink it a lot)

17. Karen Vogel says:

The problem with paint is, it’s always there to remind you of your mistake. If the color really bothers you, you’ve got to do something about it. I like the sponging idea. Though I would wait a few days. Once I convinced my husband to paint our bedroom a cheerful apple green, which turned out to somehow, at certain times of the day, glow neon. At least it seemed that way in the beginning. But it grew on me, you know? Maybe that’s not a good thing, though.

18. Salsaqueen says:

Suzanne stole my comment……….fava beans and a nice chianti. tttttttttttfffffffttttttttt!

19. Erin says:

My fiance’s old bedroom at his parents’ house is peach. He doesn’t call it that and insists its a “wood color” but its a fleshy peach. I would guess he painted it when he was in high school so its been at least eight years and he still likes it refuses to admit it’s peach.

20. genpoco says:

ah Clarice….

The Minion has a Lecter face-guard mask that I am MORE than willing to send to your son as a room accent. I must have been possessed when I purchased it.

21. fidget says:

uhhh fleshy walls? Ewwwww Maybe you can take a soft leathery brown color and do a wash to make it less skin-like.. most western cowboy mannish?? Yeah.. I dont even know if that will work. The idea of sleeping encased in a room of flesh *shudder*

22. Manic Mommy says:

Forget it. If you son likes and and it’s done, leave it. Go with nice navy or other deep color curtains and accents and you’ll never know what color it really is.

23. CaliforniaGrammy says:

I’m voting … who said we’re voting? But if we were, I’d vote for the sponge with a glaze or something to tone down the flesh reminder. And I’m voting for you to show us a picture . . . please, please, please!

24. Jenny says:

I laughed so loudly - I never saw that Silence of the Lambs reference coming!

25. carrien says:

Ditto on the glaze, it goes on fast, it’s hard to screw up and can do great things for a color. I had flesh tone walls in an apartment I moved into, and I did a red glaze over it and ti looked really nice. I’d probably use a different color for a boys room though, like brown or taupe. You can experiment in a corner with little craft store tubes of acrylic thinned with watter and clear glaze until you find a color you like, then you can just blot it all over the walls.

26. Jessica says:

LOL I love the refrance!!! I think it’s okay if your son likes it :) I’m sure he doesn’t understand the refrance ;)

27. suzette says:

I SAY SPONGE IT WITH 2 COLORS OF HIS CHOICE. MY SON WANTED A BLACK ROOM. I DIDNT! SO WE MET IN THE MIDDLE I PAINTED HIS ROOM BLACK,THEN I SPONGED IT WITH RED AND WHITE.LAST I USED A FEATHER DUSTED AND DUSTED GOLD HERE AND THERE! HE LOVES HIS ROOM NOW. EVERYONE IS ALWAYS SAYING WHERE DID U FIND THAT WALLPAPER I LOVE IT AND I JUST SMILE AND ACT LIKE I DIDNT HEAR THEM.

I just had to tell you that I just saw a professional designer paint someone’s room this very same color on HGTV!

29. coloradomommy says:

I’m curious…how many of your kids have their own rooms? How was that decided, are the ones who share happy with it?

30. Pam says:

Surely you are going to let us see it!
    It can’t be worse than a living room I painted once back in the 80’s. Mauve and Mint Green. It went so great with my flame stitch pillows on my sectional couch! Until I actually got it up on the walls and it looked like the inside of a Baskin Robbin’s ice cream store.
    Thats apparently what happens when you smoke a doobie before you paint.

31. Tricia says:

Um…what kind of flesh? Taupe, Peach, Beige, Mocha, Chocolate, Cinnamon, Cafe au Lait, Rosy, Splotchy, with freckles… Flesh comes in different colors.

“In 1962, Binney & Smith chose to change the name Flesh to Peach in response to the Civil Rights Movement, since not all people are the same skin color. While this is accurate, in reality, Crayola had changed this color from its original 1903 ‘Flesh Tint’ to Flesh then temporarily to ‘Pink Beige’, back to Flesh and then finally to Peach.” Wikipedia

Just sayin’

32. maria says:

It sounds very much like the color in my guest room. It looks very pale peach/tan in daylight and quite pink with the lights on at night. But it looks nice, and I de-girl-ified it by using a lot of southwestern colors, which coordinate well.

33. Pamela says:

I may not be an interior designer but I believe the room can be changed with different colour furnishing or stencil patterns or with shifting of furniture at different locations or even curtains colour. Try doing so, you may end up liking your son’s room and he loves it too.
    I saw a website on home furnishing which may help.
    it is http://www.bhg.com

Pamela.

34. Shelley says:

Just dropped by to say hello. I found your blog from following this link, then that one, then that one… I enjoyed reading!
    Shelley

35. Pia says:

If he likes it… It is his room after all.

My parents den is a color my mother described as “if you took ketchup and mixed in some mustard…” Their foyer is mint green. Both mistakes, but after a while you get used to it… or repaint.

Happy painting

36. MammaLoves says:

And this is why I still have swatches of paint on my living room wall–four years later.

37. SJ aka Simple Family says:

Call you weird one more time and he gets the hose again.

38. Carolynn from Western Australia says:

If he likes it, leave it, why make all that extra work for yourself?

If you really have to change it, the sponging option sounds good, I’ve some in various colours and it is quite effective. Of course you can always use contrasting trimming with the curtains and bedlinen.

We have just bought paint to do the whole inside of the house, house painting is not my favourite passtime I must admit. We weren’t very adventurous, I’ve gone for neutrals again, it’s safer.

Take Care
    Love Carolynn :)

39. Suki says:

I just painted my hallway a somewhat “fleshy” color. I like it on, but painting was too weird- somewhere between putting huge amounts of foundation on the wall and feeling like I was using actual skin…I’m glad I at least like it after that!

40. lizinsumner says:

{{{sigh}}}…all my walls are white! Well, maybe it’s a slightly off-white….it’s a rental and they won’t let me paint. So, I have to get creative with rugs, furniture and curtains. Even “flesh” sounds good when you can’t paint…..

41. Mary W says:

i bought a what I thought would be a loverly buttery toffe brown for my kitchen walls. I pt the first swatch on and thought OMG it’s PEACH. Remembering my chock at the red coming out pink I let it dry and added a second coat and prayed it dried a different hue - nope. Just peach. I put it in the hall bathroom and it’s not bad but we still hate it. when it cools down the litchen will be a nice pale green and the bathroom is going to be torquoise.

42. Kathi says:

If I never see another can of paint in my life I will be a happy person. In preparing to sell our house we started painting, everything……..exterior first. I tried to recommend a nice “Cinnamon Cherry” aka Barn Red. DH had to have “Cranapple”. You guessed it, my house is now a lovely shade of magenta-ish candy apple red. DH says it is the same color he put on his first car, a Chevelle. Hello!!! Car colors and house colors are noncomparable. For the master bedroom I copied a brochure from the local home improvement mega store. Tuscan Beige walls with “Serene Blue” accent and “Devonshire White”. I wanted to use the blue as my trim color but the idiots working the paint counter could not generate a quart of the color. Their formula only comes in gallons. After no less than four separate attempts and multiple times explaining that there are 4 quarts in a gallon and they could do the math I gave up. Master bath was worse yet. Cabinets were hunter green. When I switched out the flooring and accessories to sage and butterscotch it just didn’t fit so I tried to overpaint with again DH’s color input. I got MINT green not sage. So the Hunter went back on. Including a sizable portion DH spilled on the tan master carpet. Thank god for my spot bot. It sucked all that damn paint out of the carpet. I vote for sponging over rather than repainting!!!