Bacon, it’s what’s for dinner

Bacon, it’s what’s for dinner

September 24, 2007

My weekend was defined by two completely unrelated events.

One, I brought my 6, 8, and 10 yr olds to see Magic Tree House: The Musical. Yes, really. All I have to say is that they had better remember this when it comes time to pick out my old age home. They were the perfect age for the performance and loved every minute of it.

I would like to put out a memo to other parents though, What were you all thinking bringing a child under 5 to a live performance. There were so many 3 and 4 year olds. And how many of them do you think were able to sit quiet and still for well over two hours?

And second. I bought a new camera, a Nikon D40x. After seeking the advice of Otto who talked me out of my original purchase. Also, I bought a second lens. And then I paid for two day shipping, because if you are already bleeding money what’s $20 more. I am impatient like that.

Truthfully, if you don’t pay for the shipping you never can tell how long amazon will take to get your stuff to you. or maybe that is just how I justify it. I will point out, however, that I did not pay shipping for the ash vacuum I ordered almost 2 weeks ago and it still is not here.

Maybe they are dragging it here by its hose.

Anyway be prepared for an onslaught of photos. Probably of crying children demanding I just put the camera away already.

Also I ate some bacon wrapped chicken thing my husband grilled for dinner, and a weekend that involves eating bacon can’t possibly get any better, can it?

Comments

1. Maddy says:

I’m always amazed at how much young boys love live shows, my boys have been to Oliver and The Lion King and came out raving about how great it was. Have a wonderful week getting to know that new camera.

2. Karen Vogel says:

The picture-taking is worth it. Since my eldest daughter went officially teenager-nuts and started hating me and the rest of the family, I’ve derived a lot of comfort out of looking at all the photos taken from her first 13 years and seeing her smiling, with her arms around a little brother or sister or letting her little siblings help her bake, or whatever. Sounds ridiculous, but it is true. At least I know all that love for 12 or 13 years wasn’t a figment of my imagination.

3. Sharon says:

You are going to love your new Nikon. I have the older D50 and without ever reading the manual manage to take some decent shots. I look forward to seeing your pictures and maybe learning a thing or two about technique.

4. Barb Cooper says:

I think it depends on the kid. My older daughter could watch AN ENTIRE OPERA on the edge of her seat, barely even blinking, at the age of three. (My parents are classical music people and they took her, because it’s not like *I* can sit still that long.) My younger daughter cannot make it through a 30 minute show on television without having to bounce on the sofa at least once. Watching a movie, to her, is interaction.

Yum, bacon… did you borrow some bacon salt from Mir and really have a feast? I think Otto is the connection for THAT, too.

Congratulations on your new camera!

5. Not The Mama says:

Ooh! I’m getting a Nikon D40x for Christmas and I’m DYING to have it NOW. I’m so jealous! I can’t wait to see your photos.

6. fidget says:

1) I am jealous of your new camera

2) I am jealous of your bacon. I love bacon. Bacon is good. We are bacon FIENDS

Mmmm, bacon!
    I can’t wait to see your onslaught of photos!

8. Kellan says:

I loved “dragging it here by its hose” (HA!). And I can’t believe you had bacon wrapped chicken - sooooo did we! I got in the mood to have a Bar-B-Q with some friends and decided to grill chicken wrapped in bacon (with jalapeno in the middle), shrimp K-bobs and also scallops wrapped in bacon - we also had quite the bacon weekend! I am also jealous of your new camera.

9. Maria says:

OOooooo I want that camera. I have a three year old Nikon D70 that is perfectly good, except that I have been drooling over the D40x because it is better - way better. Here’s another way to spend money - you MUST get a speed light, and you should have a good tripod. Have fun with it. I’m jealous.

10. lizinsumner says:

I bought a chair this week-end…..a LA-Z-BOY, no less….and, I bet I still spent less than you did for your camera, lens, and 2-day shipping. While you’re busy snapping pictures, think of me RECLINING in my new (over-priced but by gosh NAME BRAND!!) chair……gaaaah - still suffering from buyer’s remorse……

11. Kasey says:

mmmmmm. bacon.

12. jody2ms says:

You!will!love!it!!!

Can’t wait to see the pix.

13. Fina says:

I bought my husband the D40 (not the x) for his birthday in July. LOVE IT!!! We used to miss so many shots of our 2 year old waiting on the other camera’s delay. Now we photograph her and her charming (spoken somewhat sarcatically there) 14 year old sister. Good thing I have pictures of said 14 year old when she was younger and smiling - much like Karen Vogels teenagers I suppose…

14. Jules says:

Very few foods do not benefit from a little bacon

15. carrie says:

Magic Treehouse musical? Sounds like just the right thing for my 3rd-grader! And congratulations on the new purchase! Can’t wait to see your pics!

16. Janice says:

Good freaking horror! A Magic Treehouse musical. ARGH. It was hard enough reading the first 18 of these sappy, nasty, evil books when BBB was little. You deserve a Mercedes for going to the musical. I just know this is going to give me nightmares!

You are the best mother on earth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. nrp says:

Ooooooh! Good choice on the camera–looking forward to the onslaught of photographic goodness. I’ve always used Nikon and bought a D50 right after it was rendered obsolete (and cheaper!) by the arrival on the market of the D40; some 9000 pictures later, I am still smitten and considering the purchase of a third (macro this time) lens.

18. Shannon says:

Reminds me of seeing Hansel and Gretal at the opera and some people had their 2 year olds there. I am not anti-kid by any means, but umm…not exactly age appropriate.

19. Busy Mom says:

Need full report on camera, am contemplating purchase soon. No, no idea where pronouns went in this comment.

20. Lori says:

My cousin would be jealous of your kids. I am jealous of your camera (and to a lesser extent, the bacon).

Happy picture taking!

21. Andi says:

Oooh, camera! That’s enough to make me de-lurk! My friend would be so thrilled to hear you went Nikon, she swears by all things Nikon; it’s a point of contention between us, actually, as I am a Canon gal myself (still considering selling a couple organs to afford the E0S-1D Mark III . . .). Still, I can always appreciate a good camera! Can’t wait to see what fun you have with it.

22. Norma says:

Awesome! I just bought the Nikon D40x myself, sadly I’m finding out that my picture problems are not so much the camera but the photographer! Nevertheless, I love, love, love it! I just got me some learnin’ to do.

23. Mary Jo says:

We have discovered maple bacon and I want to wrap everything in it! So far my favorite is bacon-wrapped shrimp on the grill. Thanks alot - you’re making me hungry and I don’t know what’s for dinner!

24. Alison Byrne Fields says:

I bought the D40x about a week ago — also from Amazon — and have been carrying it with me everywhere I go. I LOVE it. I would sleep with it if it promised not to take photos under the covers.

I splurged for a Prime membership at Amazon so I can get almost everything with “free” two day shipping. Although it was more like an accident since I signed up for a free month of Prime and then forgot to cancel it…

Have fun with your new camera and who cares about the vacuuming!

26. Becky says:

Holy cow, I remember reading The Magic Tree House when I was little. I would’ve adored a musical for it when I was young…though, I might still.

27. SJ aka Simple Family says:

Ash vacuum? Is that for cremations? I don’t understand the amount of people who bring children under five to movies. Or maybe I’m just weird but that’s not happening in this house.

28. Jeanne says:

My son’s take-out meal tonight:

Meatloaf wrapped in bacon. Take out delivered to our door. Pinch yourself.

29. falwyn says:

Oh camera. I cannot WAIT to see your pics. (I have a D50 and I love it like life itself. Not quite more than, but it’s close.)

30. elasticwaistbandlady says:

That’s the real Magic in the Magic Tree House- suckering parents into buying up their merchandise!

*says the lady who took her kids to see a live Dora The Explorer stage show*

31. Meg says:

*sniff* some of us can’t help but bring the little ones to the performances, otherwise the older ones wouldn’t be able to see them. Thankfully most of us are sensitive to the other folks and bring along plenty of lollipops to keep them quiet.

As for bacon, if I die in a tub of bacon grease I will be a happy lady.

32. Maliavale says:

Oh, you are going to LOVE that camera! Yay Nikon DSLRs!!

33. Khrista says:

one thing that should NOT be wrapped in bacon that I have tried…monkfish.
    Fish should not taste like bacon.

34. Traci says:

I just bought the same camera. It was at Costco…all in a “family pack.” Camera, zoom lens, memory card, battery charger, case and two DVD’s on how to take pictures. The DVD’s are still wrapped in plastic but the camera is out and being used way too much…my kids are running away from me at this point. That’s probably a bad sign, right?!!