watching and waiting

watching and waiting

September 25, 2007

watching

Substitute me, my front porch, and the empty street in front of me.

That is what it looks like at my house today while I sit and wait for the repairman.

I would try cheering, “Repairman! Repairman!” in hopes that my loving support would increase the chances of him arriving early. But that would just add to my neighbors suspicions that I am crazy.

And while some days I would welcome the respite from my children that would occur should I be dragged off and confined to peaceful, silent, padded room, today is not the day. I have appliances that need repair, dammit.

Oh, I have a post up at Parenting, pondering whether or not it was easier to be a mother a generation or two ago. Not from a political stand point, but from the point of view of job satisfaction.

“We had it much easier in my day.” my mother-in-law told me. She is 85 years old and had her first child 60 years ago.

“Really, easier?” I asked.

“Yes. We didn’t have to think so much. We weren’t worried about doing things wrong they way you young people worry today. You just did it.”

So if you are so inclined go on over and read. I’ll be here when you get back. Watching and waiting and trying to use my telepathic skills to communicate to him that he must come right now.

Comments

I sympathize. I had a washer go out on me last year. After 3 weeks, I took it back to Lowe’s because the part that was needed to replace it was on back order. Lowe’s replaced it, 5 weeks later I got a call from the service people saying the part was in. I told them to call Lowe’s!!

2. Pamela says:

I saw it. I was surprised to see your posting there. Anyway, I left my comments there. However, I will still come back to your blog often.Pamela.

3. Not The Mama says:

Good luck with your sentry duty. I hope the repairman arrives soon.

4. Esme says:

Great post at Parenting…

5. Karen Vogel says:

A watched-for repairman never arrives. Fair warning!

6. Lovebabz says:

They only come if you have something else really important to do. I hope you just watched TV or listened to music or put away your winter clothes. Are you still waiting? AAARGGH!

7. Anna says:

What? I thought you just got all new appliances? That sucks…but at least your kids are cute, so your view is still good while you wait…and wait.

8. Mary Jo says:

I love the Parenting post. It makes me reflect on my own oh-how-am-I-going-to-screw-up-my-boys-today fretting and how silly it is. At least today, I’m going to follow your MIL’s advice. Great post! I’m not sure about blog etiquette, but is it okay if I link to it in my blog?

9. Lori says:

It’s kinda like a car place. They keep telling you it will be ready “the next day.” I want my car dammit!

10. David says:

Good luck with the parenting, at least the appliances get manuals - even if we do read them after all else fails.