You can’t play baseball outside every day

You can’t play baseball outside every day

September 26, 2007

because we don't play real baseball enough

Now wii can play inside.

My camera came today and I am in love with it. I almost missed the delivery and had to chase my UPS lady down the driveway frantically screaming after her. Not only that, but my children were the recipients of the much coveted wii.

The battery for my camera needs to charge so I only was able to get a few photos. Indoor photos because who wants to go outside and play when you can play inside. But I have snuggled it to my bosom and whispered sweet nothings into its lens.

I had so much trouble hooking the wii up to our television. It is a lot harder than I remember my Atari being back in 1980. Turns out that for all the connection areas in the back of the tv you can only plug video game consoles into the side plugs.

But it took three phone calls to Nintendo to figure it out, where I apologized profusely for being so electronic retarded. The tech assured me that he was used to it. And I can only assume that based on the questions he was asking me like, “Is it plugged in?” and “Did you turn it on?” that I have nothing to be ashamed of.

wii love it!

I can tell you that there is nothing quite like the thrill of watching the excitement of your 4 yr old while she kicks ass in boxing or your 6 yr old as he wins in baseball. Wii, the great equalizer.

Thank you, Isabel.

Comments

1. Dianna says:

Okay, we’ll let it slide this time, but we (at least I) want pictures with the new camera!

2. Caroline says:

Yes, pictures please. Also, what type of lens did you buy and what was it about that lens that made you choose it. wii’s look like fun. Have you tried it yet?

3. Kellan says:

The hooking-up of any electronic gadget - is most definitely (in my house) a BOYS job and goes to my husband. I’m glad you caugut the UPS truck and got your new camera - I liked the “whispered sweet nothings into its lens” part - funny.

4. Lisa says:

I want a wii. We played it at my MIL’s house and I fell in LOVE! My kids (4 and 7) LOVED boxing!
    But, alas, the price tag is a wii bit high! (Haha, aren’t I CLEVER?!?)

Congrats on the new camera!

5. Ardi says:

im a pro in gaming and stuff but sometimes even i get confused on those sort of things.

6. Andrea says:

I would love to get a Wii, but then my husband would have to put up with endless “Wiiiiiiiiiii would like to play” jokes. Boo.

7. Kelly says:

Woohooo! Wii love our wii :) getting ready to play in right now!

8. Karen Vogel says:

You have no idea how weird these pictures look to someone who is sort of clueless about Wii(?).

9. Jen says:

We got a Wii for Christmas last year and LOVE it. Bowling is my favorite!! And I also love playing the old original Nintendo Mario games off the virtual console.

And compared to a Playstation3 or XBOX360, Wii’s are cheap, heh.

10. Michelle says:

Well, I’m also impressed with your paint color in that last photo….can you share what it is?? :)

11. Chris says:

Oh the wiiiii jokes have been running rampant here all day.

Michelle, the paint color is Barley by Benjamin Moore

12. Lori says:

I kinda want a Wii just so I can play baseball. Maybe get a tennis game if they have one.

13. Not The Mama says:

I’m so, so jealous of your new camera! And I admit to being a little jealous of the wii, too. I’m not a video game person at all, but the wii looks like fun. Enjoy them both!

14. Isabel Kallman says:

my pleasure. Have loads of fun!

Isabel

P.S. I am so happy to see the boys have the wrist straps on.

15. Diatribal says:

We have a Wii too. We love our Wii. We should get our Miis together and have a Wii Party! (You can do that, I’m sure your kids will tell you all about it!)

Have fun with your new toys. Wii all expect lots of pictures of you and the kids huddled around the Wii.

16. Denise says:

Hey! I’ve been blogging a lot about the wii - fun! But I bet your kids are better baseball players than I am.

17. Rachel says:

I know your post was really not about this, but I loved the comment about what the Nintendo guy asked you. I work for an AV company and while I only do sales and couldn’t hook up a DVD player if my life depended on it, you wouldn’t believe the stupid questions we get asked! So don’t feel bad.

Wiii!!! My 6 year old son is scary good at boxing. I’m thinking about arranging a match with Oscar De La Hoya. Also my kids love playing against me because I suck. The Wii takes the whole hand-eye coordination to a new level (of which I’m at like Amoeba type abilities).

19. celeste w says:

And let me know if you find a way to hook it up to your “wireless” network for Internet action. My son can’t understand why I haven’t figured this out yet. I’d invite a friend over to help, but I have to clean my desk first!

20. Mom101 says:

From one wii owner to another, WIIIIII!!

Although admittedly ours is getting less play since Guitar Hero came into our house. Oh, poor Wii. Sort of like the old dog that’s getting less attention with the new puppy around.

21. Ashley says:

What the heck are you going to ge tthem for Christmas now?

22. Amy says:

My 3 year old is a riot to watch box.

23. Jen M says:

My kids would carve out their kidneys with a rusty butter knife for a Wii. Unfortunately, they attend a verry liberal Waldorf school that frowns upon the evils of television and related activities. So. The dilemna is this: free kidneys and happy kids or judgment from the patchouli set. Sigh.

24. kate says:

I had a friend who ran a tech support place and he said that one day a woman called and couldn’t get her computer to work. After tons of time trying this and that he asked her to crawl under the desk and check something. She then told him it was hard to see because the power was out in the building…

Others called about having broken their cupholder (CD rom tray thingy)

I’m sure the guy wasn’t bothered by side plug problems.

I can’t wait for more pictures with your new camera!
    Our family is going to get a wii for Christmas. Peep played one at a friends house this summer and he cannot say enough good about it. He actually got a sore shoulder from playing so much baseball. I think I am looking more forward to the wii than Peep is though.

26. Midsummer Night says:

Don’t have a Wii, so not a whole lot to say there. But I am glad you got your SLR. I have loved mine since the day I got it as well (not a Nikon D40x, but a SLR just the same).

27. Kristen says:

with a little luck you won’t have to talk to the kids for at least a week. If only the wii came with feed bags to put around the kids necks…

28. tori says:

When we first got ours, each kid wanted to play me (which I think is code for totally kick my butt) and by the time we were done, I was very sore. Because I am old or something.

Have fun with it!

29. Shannon says:

I’m 26 and I totally want one.

30. Tonya says:

The Wii is the first game system that I actually enjoy. Hubby and I love to have bowling tournamens. I suck horribly at the baseball. You should get Super Mario Party 8. Lots of fun!

31. Beth F. says:

The Wii is awesome - we have Saturday morning bowling tournaments with our 3 and 4 year old in our pajamas. It rocks.

And I’m on the verge of buying the same camera, a friend of mine has one and I want to lick it when I see it. It’s time I lick my own. Good to know you like it!

32. Sue says:

We have resisted video games and gaming in general, but I love that the Wii is so active! I might have to stop being such a hardass about the whole gaming issue. I adore your blog, by the way. How did I live this long without you in my favorites?

33. Jaime says:

Sounds like you had a great day. Can wait to see more pixs!!!

34. Suburban Turmoil says:

Yet another person who isn’t me gets a free wii…

Grr.

Oh, and congratulations.

35. Kath says:

I’ve got the family wii in hiding until Christmas…after reading I’m not sure I’ll make it till then…I sooo want to try it!

36. Chris says:

Sue,

I don’t know! How did you?!?!

37. Pamela says:

Is that a new kid? I never saw that one before!

38. carrie says:

Looks like fun!

39. Regina says:

I think you may not be commenting on this issue for a reason, but if you feel comfortable, I’d like to hear what is happening with the Flickr/Orkut issue. This really freaks me out to think people are posting pictures of other people’s children. I’m so sorry to see that it has happened to your family.

40. Annalise says:

Wii love our wii too! Not so much the baseball, none of us really get that, but the tennis is fun and the boxing is very therapeutic if anyone’s had a bad day.

41. Carolynn from Western Australia says:

Can I be totally ignorant and ask what is a Wii ??? Or do you have to have kids to understand? :)

What is your New Camera Chris and what sort of lens does it have. How many Mega pixels and what Optical Zoom does it have and what does it save to.?

Look forward to pics from yoru new camera.

42. Mara says:

Chris, I love your blog and come here all the time. Your photography is especially nice. But, you used to have an enormous blog-role! I used to visit your blog and then follow the links… yours was my ‘gateway blog’!

Is the list of links ever coming back?

43. cce says:

Glad I popped in today…the wii is very much a part of our lives and, for good or for bad, has been the focus of all weekends and playdates since the day it entered our house. I’m mostly a video game naysayer but I do recommend Big Brain Academy. It’s a lot of fun!

44. boomama says:

Wii love our Wii. I went through a brief period of addiction to the Match Mii game on WiiPlay, but I have since tempered my playing with other things, like “doing laundry” and “cooking meals for my family.”

But it is so stinkin’ fun.

45. Pia says:

Wii is great, but now that we have the ps3, wii don’t play as much wii right now.

We have taken the batteries out of one of the controllers so that my 2 year old can have her own troller and play with the rest of us. - And we have done the same with a ps troller too.

46. Dana says:

My 12 year old son has a Wii - he loves it!