candy, candy, candy, I’m in love with you

candy, candy, candy, I’m in love with you

September 28, 2007

Mmmm, candy

Comments

1. Stacey says:

I love your pictures as always! And I understand the need to put copyrights on them, am actually shocked you hadn’t done that sooner, but is there anyway to put them maybe at the bottom instead of across the center so that we can still see the full picture?

2. Andi says:

If you want to run a copyright tag across the centre, that’s really the best way to do it because it’s the hardest to remove. But to increase visibility of the pic, you can run thw text through photoshop or a similar program to decrease opacity; that way the text is still visible, but the photo is, too.

Those are beyond fantastic photographs; your camera has found its way into worthy hands.

I also want a candy necklace, now. Dammit.

3. Andi says:

Just to add, I’m not sure what photo software you use, but here are a couple quick examples of what you can do with just a little tweaking of text opacity in PS7. You can get fancy with it if you like, curving text, adding logos and whatnot, but this is just the sort of three-second job that’s perfect for a blog and should be enough to keep people from modifying them.

4. Chris says:

Andi,

I couldn’t figure out how to do that. I have a really old version of photoshop, probably time to upgrade.

5. Kellan says:

I just want to eat him up - these are beautiful photos!

6. BetteJo says:

People want to steal pictures of people’s kids? Scrumptious kids for sure, but - I don’t get it. Man. Should be able to have SOMEthing that belongs to us. Even on the Internet.

7. Andi says:

Chris, I don’t know what older versions of PS look like, but as long as you have a layer window you should be okay. Here’s a link to a pretty comprehensive tutorial on the subject; I’ve fallen back on this for a whole bunch of topics, but for this particular problem you’ll want to check out “changing the opacity of layers” near the bottom. Just make sure you have the text layer selected and that ought to do the trick.

8. Lilly says:

Beautiful kids and photos as always! I think I want a new camera just like yours…

The only way to keep people from grabbing your photo and reusing it is to put your copyright through the center of a detailed and important part of the photo, which is what you did. But as Andi said, you can make it less opaque easily even with an old version of photoshop.

Simply, if you’re using photoshop to add the text it will be added as a layer. In the layers window you’ll see a little box that says ‘opacity’ in the top right corner. Just put a number like 20% in that box and your copyright will be see through.

If you don’t want people to reuse your photo you have to make it not worth their time to photoshop out this copyright. If you put it across the bottom or top, they’ll just crop it out and if it’s across a plain couple of colors they can paint it out easily. Across a complicated area with some detail that would be hard to retouch is a good place to write it.

…And in other news, my son just walked in with his last baby tooth in his hand. It just fell out!

9. Andi says:

Seconding everything Lilly said :D For the pic of Miles with the necklace, for example, you’d want the copyright logo to intersect the candy necklace at one point or more because those wee candy beads would probably be the hardest part to duplicate in PS. Wispy hair, facial features and patterned clothing are also a real pain in the ass to re-paint when you’ve extracted a logo (I speaks from experience!) so aim for something detailed to place your logo over (I weep to admit that the skeleton leaf is a perfect example of such . . . but it really does work).

10. Jamie says:

Fantastic pics! Thanks for posting. That little face is too precious.

11. Amy says:

Great pics, and I totally started singing that song when I read the title!!

12. CaliforniaGrammy says:

I was going to add my two cents of Photoshop knowledge, but your friends Andi and Lily have covered the subject quite well. So sorry it has to come to this, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do to protect yourself and those adorable kids.

I love your photos, Chris—you do such a good job capturing the greatest expressions and your composition is fabulous!

13. Henrietta says:

What Kellan said, DITTO for me, oh those pudgy baby hands!

14. shy Victoria says:

Dude, you’ve reminded me how much I used to love those candy necklaces! Sweet!