trying to master this watermark thing

trying to master this watermark thing

September 29, 2007

trying to master this damn watermark thing

Is this too light?

Man this is a lot of work.

Comments

1. Lilly says:

Nope. That’s perfect. It would take a lot of work to retouch that text out of the photo and it’s not too intrusive. You could even make it a little lighter if you wanted.

2. Andi says:

It looks beautiful! As does she, as usual :) I love the pink in her dress, it pops out so sharply from the background, and the teal carries just enough green so that she matches her surroundings. Are planning to have any of these framed? The quality of the photos themselves is phenomenal, of course, but it’s really your composition that makes them so particularly stunning; you picked such a great day, too, it looks like, just overcast enough to make for some perfect lighting. What a great time of year to have a new camera!

3. Holly Smith says:

Can you move it to the bottom? The light is just right.

4. Cindy says:

BUT, if she moves the watermark to the bottom someone might just crop the picture to remove it.

Your children, your photos, your call. My obnoxious advice is to perhaps friend people to flickr using this website to figure out whom is interested, but I understand that you may not want to do that as well. Which leads me back to, ‘your children, your photos, your call’.

Either way? Your family and your pictures never fail to impress me, and I thank you for that. And thanks for trying to figure out a way to share them with us even in the face of jerks stealing your photography.

5. Keryn says:

Man, Chris, you are such an amazing artist. Wow.

Several months ago I read your photo tips on the other blog, and tried them out. Thank you a million times–I actually managed to take a picture of my three-year-old that looks professional, and captures him completely. All thanks to you and your advice!

6. carrie says:

I can’t believe people steal photos. It is ridiculous. But you are handling it perfectly and I think you’ve done a good job with the watermark. It’s a beautiful photo of your darling girl.

7. Dianna says:

I really like thi photo too.
    The watermark is just the right shade here.

8. Andi says:

Ugh, so I finally got around to taking a look at your flickr account and found out why the sudden concern over watermarks . . . my skin is just crawling. I remember you posted a while back about some people favouriting photos of her, but then I saw where the stolen pics turned up and just . . . ugh. People need help. Or a bat job. Or both.

Given the sort of concern that sparked this, I say make the logo as dark as you feel comfortable with. When it comes to your family, really, artistic integrity needs to go right out the window. People might fuss about the logo getting in the way, but they aren’t their kids, after all. Keep the logo as close to their faces as possible, intersecting with key facial features whenever you can. People are much less likely to steal your pics if they have to crop off an ear or shave off a chin to eliminate the copyright logo.

9. Maddy says:

Perfect, it’s just sad that you have to do this.

10. sarah in the sand says:

Cute photos, as always. Hope whatever inspired you to add watermarks hasn’t damaged your faith in humanity too much. How sad.

Since you’re asking… I think make the watermark more prominent, It’s so translucent (or is the word opaque???) it’s a bit distracting for my eyes. it would almost be easier to mentally filter out if it were more prominent, front and center.

Thanks, Chris for a great blog. I read it religously.

11. Stacey says:

I think this one is better, but that’s just me. I “get” now why you have to put it over a detailed area. It didn’t occur to me before that someone would just crop it out of the bottom. I guess my mind just doesn’t think like that.

12. Wendy says:

Okay, I agree this is better. After the suggestion that someone could just crop it out if if was at the bottom. It is a shame you have to do this.

13. Kristi says:

Can you please tell me how you do that???????????

14. Carrie @ Three-Girl Circus says:

I like it lighter like that much better.

15. Karen Vogel says:

I’m with Kristi - how do you do that? Hmmmm?

Love the dress!!! Of course the little girl in it is precious!

I’m getting the feeling that I should just go and take all the pictures off my blog.

18. jm says:

This whole series is so lovely!

I’m still working on being able to take good photos, but I did learn a bit about working with layers and opacity by playing with this tutorial here.

If you complete the project by following the steps, they cover layers, opacity, distortion and a bunch of handy Photoshop techniques. This gave me a fun way to learn some of those basics so I could apply them to graphics.

How much does this suck that it is even an issue? Much. Very much.

19. cheri says:

i think it looks great.

20. Christine says:

I vote for this one, too. Still works but doesn’t seem too commercialized.

OH - and because your blog is all about ME … would you give us a recommendation post on the Wii before too long? Did you buy a bundle package? How many controllers do you have and do you think it’s enough? Ya’ know, the boring mom stuff … except you could spice it up with other option uses of the nunchuks … for the sake of ratings.

21. CaliforniaGrammy says:

This opacity is great, but your watermark location doesn’t keep someone sick to just crop it off the top. Oh, Chris, what a hassle this must be!

22. Joy H says:

GAH……my friend who does sports photography had to start watermarking also. Grrrrrrrrrrrr! What the hell is wrong with people?

I’m gonna have to check this out.

If you put them on flicker they can’t be stolen? I know nothing about flicker. Please tell.

In reference to Keryn’s comment, do you still have photography tips on another blog? Can you point me in that direction? I have cute kids (some of the time) and a decent camera, but I can’t seem to make the two connect as well as I’d like.
    Thanks!

24. NoMasNinos says:

I know that it is pretty easy for someone to steal photos from flickr as well. I saw someone do it in just about 5 minutes, but it was for a picture of their own kid in someone else’s account.

25. dynamitt says:

yeah I think putting the mark on her face is a good idea. That way it is really hard to crop it.

26. Emily says:

I’ve been reading your blog for a little while and you are a great writer and photographer. It is awful that this is happening. I’m all paranoid now because I have pictures on flicker too and I just made them all friend and family only now. I think the water mark on this one is good, though personally I would make it a little darker, but thats just me. Hope it all works out.
    -Emily

27. allison says:

I would also make it a little bit darker and move it down a little more…it would be easy to still use this picture cropped. It totally sucks that you have to do this but it’s so much better to protect your children than have un-watermarked photos on your blog. You can have all your personal photos unwatermarked still. Just make sure to keep them locked up in your fireproof safe in case someone tries to get into it. (just kidding)

28. Elizabeth@table4five.net says:

Your daughter is so photogenic! I’m so sorry that you have to watermark your photos, but if it keeps sick people from posting your photos as their own, then I can overlook the line of text. Besides, nothing takes away from how beautiful your daughter is :)

29. Keryn says:

Susan, the photo tips were on Chris’ other blog called “In the Trenches of Motherhood”. (She gives great advice about all sorts of things there.) That’s where she talked about photography. She gives awesome, amazing tips; they totally inspired me! If you go to the address below (sorry, I don’t know how to code an address), all her photography posts are on one page.

30. Angie says:

this one is perfect

31. Mom101 says:

this is beautiful. I hope that Gap Kids tries to steal it so you can make millions of dollars.

Heh.

32. Holly Smith says:

Ahhh…it’s for cropping…I understand now!

33. Kasey says:

Being a Photoshop Master, I would suggest possibly doing 2 watermarks or if you only want to stick with one, placing your watermark in a very busy area. I could easily remove that watermark, however if you placed it on her dress with the very detail pattern it would be a lot more difficult to remove. And lastly, if you had one on the top and one on the bottom, that would be a good deterrent because someone would have to do twice the work to remove it. Good luck with all this, it really disturbs me that people are stealing your photos of your precious children.

34. Marcela says:

how do you watermark the pictures?
    I’d like to do the same with mine, though they are far from being nearly as good as yours…