A visit to the aquarium

A visit to the aquarium

October 6, 2007

aquarium

I just returned from spending three days in Boston. It will have taken longer than that to pack everything and unpack everything than the total time we were “vacationing.” I use the quotations because I do not think you can seriously use the word vacation when you travel with children.

Comments

1. Lilly says:

Another beautiful photo…

2. Sue says:

Yeah, I agree, traveling with kids sucks. The only kind of vacation that is relaxing, is a vacation FROM my kids. As if that will ever happen. (weeps)

3. Ms. Carson says:

As my wise neighbor says, “A vacation with children isn’t a vacation; it’s just a change of scenery.”

I love the expression on his face. Beautiful picture, Chris. :)

5. Anna says:

What a cutie…and how freakin’ incredible is it that you took all of your kids to an aquarium on vacation? Can I send mine along next time…or can I come too? ;-)

6. julie@lovelaughter&laundry says:

I totally agree. A vacation is when my husband and I go away alone, with the kids it is called “A Family Trip”. Both are fun, yet extremely different experiences.

Have fun doing all that laundry. That’s always my favorite part of going away.

Not.

7. Bronnie says:

aaw sounds painful!

but you must’ve had some fun while you were away! :)

Great pic!

8. Sueb0b says:

Yeah, my mom used to say “The kids get a vacation. Dad gets a vacation. But I never get a vacation.”

9. Beverly says:

HA! We’ve vacationed in Fort Myers for three days, but I don’t really think you can call it a vacation when it involves baseball!

Beautiful picture!

10. Lori says:

I love the picture! Did you all go to a game while you were in Boston?

11. Karen Vogel says:

As Elizabeth Foss has said, “It’s not a vacation for a mother; it’s a trip.” Something like that. So true. I’ve found that as long as I remember that it is not going to feel like a vacation, I don’t resent all the work so much. I look at a trip as a way to get the heck out of the house for a day or so (or more). Of course, all the work comes with me. Oh, well. I’ve also taken to giving myself what I call “mini-vacations” - you know, 2 whole hours to go to a yarn shop, or a few hours working on scrapbooks with some friends (not at home). It’s pathetic, I know; but you take what you can get.

12. Dan says:

That’s a great photo.

I understand why you do the whole watermark thing, but it does mar it a bit. Couldn’t you place it further down?

Neat picture! Welcome back to the laundry…

14. Heidi says:

Really great photo!!

I can totally relate to the packing comment. And heaven forbid you let someone else pack because they will only pack a sock, shirt and shoe.

15. CaliforniaGrammy says:

When we were young parents we made time twice a year to get away for a weekend, arranged the same with another couple, and shared childcare with each other’s kids. Not so sure if you can do that, though, now that I think of seven kids … because you’d have fourteen kids to look after … forget I even brought up the subject! Great photo, though, as usual.

16. dynamitt says:

Dan - she has to place it right over the kids faces for it to be a point… its easy for people to crop it out otherwise.

Aquarium looks fun. Maybe I should check out the local one.

17. Manic Mommy says:

When I was washing out sippy cups in the hotel bathroom in DisneyWorld, I knew that vacations had changed forever.

Glad we had the unbearable heat in time for your visit.

18. Jackie @ Family Daze says:

Ain’t that the truth!

19. Courtney says:

“It will have taken longer than that to pack everything and unpack everything than the total time we were “vacationing.” ”

I SO know that feeling! We’re going camping this weekend (we got a cabin for the first time) and we’ll be gone 2 nights. When I think of all we’ll have to bring, and all the money I’ll spend at the store, to be gone from home for less than 48 hours, well, I wonder why we bother!

20. halloweenlover says:

WHAT??? How did you come to Boston and not call me! How rude!