scene from a vacation, with children

scene from a vacation, with children

October 7, 2007

Did you know that in Boston people get their newspapers delivered to their doorsteps, folded up and secured with an elastic band? And it would seem that people pick up their newspapers and then discard the elastic band on the sidewalk.

boys

See those two smiling little boys on the right in the photo? They fought to the death over every single elastic band that they found on the sidewalk. And then wore them up their arms like tribal bracelets. Because apparently we do not have elastic bands in Connecticut.

Think I am kidding? Here is my 6 yr old drooling over a box of elastic bands in the aquarium ticket office and plotting how he can possibly make them all his.

DSC_0052

The next most highly coveted treasure we picked up on our trip… a piece of a broken stoplight. And yes, we did bring it home with us. Why wouldn’t we?

Comments

1. Anna says:

Hey! My three year old has the same “I do all my own stunts” t-shirt! LOVE Target! ;-) Also…who doesn’t love rubber bands?

2. Growing in Grace (Nicole) says:

Fabulous!!

3. Anna says:

My brothers made their own handcarved rubber band guns, I still have scars.

4. Jen says:

We also get our mail secured with elastic bands… I could have scored you some if I knew you were in town ;).

5. lori says:

The best thing about homeschooling is getting to take vacations in the fall.

The rubber-band thing made me think of my siblings and I fighting over who could grab the tiny soaps first at the Holiday Inn. Also, keeping the cellophane-hatted toothpicks from our club sandwiches at HoJo’s as a souvenir.

6. misty says:

dare I admit my husband has the same stunts tshirt… lol…

Speaking of Boston, he is THERE (on business) too! interesting…

But i thought that was very bizarre (people tossing their bands on the ground for someone else to take care of) but boy I bet your guys are grateful!

7. Dana says:

I can so relate to that post about rubber bands. My son loves them too - and he is 12. Funny what kids get a hankerin for, isn’t it?

My son has the same t-shirt too by the way.

8. Dana says:

My son has the same t-shirt too by the way.

9. jean says:

My son and his friend have been playing “Rubberband Wars”. Two 11 y/o let loose in the living room with a bag of rubberbands. Hey, it kept them busy for an hour and they had a blast.

And did you guys enjoy the aquarium?

10. carrie says:

And I can see that your son on the right has mastered the art of shooting rubber bands with his finger already! Hee, hee. Boys.

11. kalisah says:

when I was a kid growing up in D.C., my parents took us to Louisiana one summer to visit my maternal grandmother and we brought home HORSE TOENAILS.

12. Crystal says:

Not that it bothers me at all, but I remember a while back you went through and changed all of your posts because people could figure out where you lived? I hadn’t even figured out Connecticut from those posts…. just checking if you really wanted that in there?

13. jody2ms says:

I am just LOVING the pic on top. The kids are adorable, and the contrasting bricks are so cool.

That would be a good one to blow up a bit and frame.

14. Bronnie says:

hehe.. vacation souvenirs!

cute photos!

15. still standing says:

I use to stretch the rubber bands out and write on them, then let them go back to normal. My writing was itty bitty. It was cool. I was cool. . . those were the days…

16. Jaime says:

What you don’t collect rubber bands?? I seem to have moved on to hair bands. Still, at any given time I have a few on my wrist.

17. Terri says:

With children=trip
    Without children=vacation

18. Mary Jo says:

Maybe you can get them hooked on paper clips next. They can do far more damage with an unfolded paper clip, and as for wearing them, I guess they could always attach them to their ears. Great aquarium pics!

19. genpoco says:

The Minion has a thing about paperclips. Which is good because at least I can pilfer his stash when I need one.

20. daring one says:

I think it’s a disgrace that you would let your children play with garbage! In Seattle, we only let our kids play with recyclables.

21. qtpies7 says:

When my kids volunteer at Operation Christmas Child they come home with hundreds of rubber bands. Aside from the many rubber band shootings that happen, they make rubber band balls.
    One of my kids even bought a bag of rubber bands from a yard sale.
    It is a great toy, apparently.
    Why do we spend so much money on toys for them? Rubber bands are cheap or free!

22. bronwyn sellers says:

hi, i just love your site. i think you are a great mom. i love the way you raise the kids with such a sense of humor and laidback manner. i respect how much you enjoy your children.it is so evident that you totally devoted to what you do. i applaud you! i am a single mom, and a special education teacher. i have my whole school reading your site. you make us smile and appreciate being moms! thanks!

23. Lori says:

In the top picture, those three boys look like trouble.

24. Kellan says:

But, of course - rubberbands are a boys best friend!

25. Annalise says:

There are loads of elastic bands on the streets here too - not from newspapers though (which get delivered through the mail slot in the front door), but from regular post. The postmen drop them when they unbundle letters along their round, apparently.