Left Brain vs. Right Brain

Left Brain vs. Right Brain

October 13, 2007

I saw this over at my friend karen’s blog and have been playing with it ever since.

Go look at this dancer spinning. What direction do you see her spinning?

I see the dancer spinning clockwise, definitely, unequivocally clockwise. As in I can not fathom how she could possibly be spinning any other direction.

Rob also sees clockwise and cannot see her spinning in the other direction.

I showed it to my 10 yr old and he said, “Counterclockwise…. wait, no clockwise. Counterclockwise… hey she is spinning in both directions!”

We tried to get him to explain to us how that could possibly be, be he just said, “It just is.” I suppose like those magic eye optical illusions, either you see it or you don’t.

So what say you? Clockwise, counterclockwise, or both?

Comments

1. Lucie says:

Counterclockwise for me and both for DH. Yikes that is freaky. Thanks for the morning brain excercise.

2. Jen says:

it was counter first for me, then I focused and it became clockwise. Now I can make it go back and forth by looking at it out of the corner of my eye for a second. Freaky!

3. Katie W says:

I see clockwise, which is odd as looking at the list of characteristics I’d describe myself as left brain, but it says I should be right brain as I see clockwise.

4. Lori says:

I see clockwise. And try as I might, I cannot make it go counterclockwise. I even tried looking out of the corner of my eye, but nothing. What does it mean if you can’t make it go both ways? That you’re a pig-headed right-sider?

5. Beverly says:

I see clockwise. So does my son. We tried and tried to see the counterclockwise (which seems to be the most popular), but couldn’t.

What does that say about us?

6. Carolynn from Western Australia says:

Definitely both ways for sure.

Carolynn

7. geminishadow79 says:

I see both

8. Mir says:

Counterclockwise and no amount of concentrating would make her flip. Me and my left brain! :P

9. Mike says:

I remember seeing that a few months ago and being able to make her spin either direction. Now, I can only see her counterclockwise. I must be getting old.

10. Elissa says:

Weird!!!!!! At first I could only see counterclockwise. Then I read the comments and when I went back to look I could make it change to clockwise by turning my head to the right and looking at it from just the corner of my left eye.

But my question is, was it absolutely necessary for the artist to make the dancer have erect nipples???? :)

11. Corrie says:

Both - randomly.

12. Annalise says:

Clockwise for me. And I can’t make her switch. Which is odd, because I have always thought of myself as more left-brained.

13. Carolie says:

COUNTERclockwise, unequivocably. Which made me mad, as I wanted to figure out how in the world it could be seen any other way! So I concentrated, covered all but one corner of the image with my hand, and made her FINALLY turn clockwise. Then I couldn’t make her go back! Now I can see her go one way or the other, but the transition is still very, very hard. Whew! Thanks for this!

14. Mark says:

She’s spinning counter for me for sure, I can only see it that way. Although my 19 year old son said, “What do you mean she’s spinning?” LMAO!

15. Janssen says:

It switches every twenty seconds or so for me. That’s really crazy.

16. Kate says:

I see her spinning clockwise, but I can focus and make her spin counterclockwise as well. My husband sees her spinning clockwise and cannot for the life of him see if any other way.

17. Shellbie says:

I see….Both!
    Started off clockwise, then the more I looked at her the more she kept changing directions on me. Weird!
    Both sons and husband see her the same as me.

18. Dawn says:

Look at the foot at the end of the straight leg. IF you focus there or on the raised foot for a few seconds, she will appear to be going clockwise. IF you focus on the shadow of the foot at the bottom for a few seconds, she will begin to appear to go counterclockwise.

Clever.

19. Chandra says:

My husband and I both saw it moving counter clockwise intially and then only clockwise. For the life of me I haven’t been able to see counter clockwise again.

20. Wendy says:

First, I see that it was very cold in the room where the dancer is located. Then I started to wonder why they would put a nude woman dancing to test our brain. Then I stopped myself and focused on her spinning. She was going clockwise for awhile. I started reading and when I glanced back she was going anti-clockwise (what a funny word and why are they saying that instead of counter?).

So I agree with your son, she just is doing both.

21. Niki says:

I initially saw clockwise only - couldn’t change it. I started reading the right-brain column and knew for certain that WASN’T me! When I looked back up at her she was going counterclockwise - and I couldn’t change her back no matter what! Too weird!

22. Katrina says:

At first it was clockwise and then after reading the comments I tried the looking at it out of the corner of my eye trick, and she went counterclockwise. No matter how hard I try I can’t see her going clockwise again. Crazy!

23. Karen says:

I saw it as clockwise too and couldn’t imagine it any other way. I thought it would be insane for anyone to see it any other way! That’s how obvious it was. Then I just blankly stared at her….well, actually it was more like I was staring just beyond her. And all of a sudden she switched!!! When I refocused on her, she immediately switched back to clockwise.
    Seems like it takes great concentration on my part to get her to go counter-clockwise, and with the least little bit of lapse in focus, she goes clockwise again. But if I keep in my staring trance, she dances counter-clockwise. Ok, that is really wild!!

24. Stephanie says:

I see her turning both ways, and my 9 year old son sees her going both ways!
    that’s weird!!!

25. Molly says:

I’m with your 10-yr old; I see her spin both ways. The freaky part is she kept changing directions as I read the right-brain left-brain functions.

26. Amy says:

Very, very counter-clockwise. That’s one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen. But no surprises I’m left brained.

27. P2P » Blog Archive » I'm left-brained. Duh. says:

[...] Notes from the Trenches posted this.  I wasn’t surprised at all to see I am left-brained. [...]

28. Cheryl M. says:

I see her spinning in both directions. :)

29. karen says:

100% counterclockwise. I can NOT make her go the other way, no matter how much i try. My husband and son both saw clockwise but then could see both directions. Humph.

30. Rachel says:

First clockwise, then counterclockwise.

31. K.B. says:

I ran across this a few days ago, and spent WAY too much time learning how to get her to switch. After much Googling and several different techniques later, I can get her to switch by moving my mouse cursor in a circle the opposite direction she is moving. If I do it at the same pace she is dancing, I can get her to switch! Then back again! KILLS my brain though. :p Initially I saw her clockwise.

32. Sueb0b says:

Both. Initially counter-clockwise, but then she kept switching on me.

33. vanessa says:

Clockwise, and I can’t get her to switch. At all. I am very right-brained, though, perhaps thats why.

When I first watched she was all about the clockwise motion and then after maybe 20 seconds I realized that then she was going conterclockwise. I kept watching to see if I could make her switch again, but no.

So I think my brain is just indecisive.

35. lisa says:

to make the dancer turn the other way (any “other” way), focus on her hip and upper thigh and imagine that the opposite hip/thigh is closer to you but spinning in the opposite direction than what you see. if you keep staring at the silhouette while doing this, it should flip.

i saw it as counterclockwise until i put those right-brain spatial skills to use :@).

36. Melissa says:

K.B.-

That’s how I got her to switch also-LOL. I didn’t know that was an official technique :)

Melissa

37. sarah says:

First I saw her clockwise and couldn’t get her to change but then when I saw her out of the corner of my eye while reading about it on the lft column, she was counterclockwise, then clockwise, then counterclockwise….Very very interesting.

38. Christine says:

Okay - I was only seeing clockwise. Then my oldest two kids walked in (9 & 8) and they both said, “This way (clockwise) … OH WAIT! She changed directions!” They saw both with ease.

My four year old - every time - would spin counter - that’s all she saw.

My husband? Clockwise only … then as I was watching HIM watch it … I saw it - counter! It was there! Now he’s pissed. Not just because he couldn’t see it, but (in his words):

“Great. You brought me a picture of some hot lady that can go ‘both ways.’ Thanks, a lot!”

39. Tammy says:

I think it’s a trick. I saw it change direction just a few seconds after the page loaded.

40. Amanda says:

If I look directly at it I see clockwise, but I as I was reading the article she was spinning counter out of the corner of my eye. My six year old DD and five year old DS both saw clockwise. Interesting.

41. Tiffany says:

I see clockwise. However, I’m left-brained. My 11-year old only saw clockwise, too.

It is killing me to see it counterclockwise.

42. Nancy says:

I saw it change a couple of times as well, and not through any focusing or anything. It seems to just randomly do it.

43. Alison says:

Both.

44. Kerry says:

I’m clearly a conspiracy theorist because she totally flipped. She was counter clockwise and no amount of focusing could make her change. Then I read the list on the left and when I looked back she was clockwise. I think it’s a scam designed to make me think I am loosing my mind. Why does everyone want to make me crazy?!?!?!

45. Lynn says:

She’s going both ways, sometimes just swinging her leg back and forth if I sort of use peripheral vision to watch her. Weird!

46. nabbalicious says:

I sent this to everyone at work, and all but one of us saw her going clockwise. A couple people saw her spinning counter once in awhile, but my boss and I both agreed: she’s absolutely going clockwise and we can’t fathom how anyone could see it any other way! That thing is a trip. One of my coworkers thinks it’s a trick, too, but I never saw her switch!

47. Pamela says:

I Saw both ways. The thing is you need to relax your mind and eyes and then you can see it both ways. The child can see it both ways because they are not as complicated and ” tuned” like an adult. Basically, both our brains are working but some work more on left than right. However, one can trained our brain to function both ways. There is such program for child but not for adults.Pamela.

48. Anna says:

I saw counter clockwise at first, then for awhile not going either direction, just swinging back and forth like Lynn said, then finally I could see her as clockwise.

49. kris says:

I can make it go both ways but it takes a lot of effort.

50. Karen Vogel says:

Oh, this is so utterly cool! I can’t wait to try it out on the rest of the family!

Counterclockwise, by the way.

51. Mrs. Jones says:

This is fantastic! I can only see counter-clockwise, yet I have an over active imagination. The logic and reason and all the other description are very me. Still, I tried and tried to prove that my imagination was intact by staring at the screen and willing the dancer to go clockwise. No such luck.

52. Leatitia says:

So cool! Clockwise for me and my boyfriend, but counter-clockwise for my bf’s friend!

53. Lisa V says:

Everyone in our house saw clockwise, but my daughter Rory who saw both right away. She said it would stop and change.

54. Trish says:

At first all I could see was clockwise. My husband was counter clockwise. however, if I stare at the shadow I can make her go counter clockwise and then get stuck going back and forth between the two directions. Weird. Thanks for the morning fun!

55. liz says:

She changes direction constantly for me and my 15-year-old son, who is my mini-me (even though he’s bigger than me). My husband just sees her as naked, although if he watches for a while, she’s just clockwise. My 17-year-old son is still asleep so we’ll see if he says naked or a direction. That is freaky!

56. Charlene says:

I linked to this through another blog last night, and could only see counter-clockwise. Now, through this link, I can only see clockwise. Hmmm….

57. Karen says:

Counter-clockwise - I am so left brained I can’t even see it go clockwise by concentrating.

58. Divrchk says:

At first I could only see clockwise. This really bothered me. I am not a right brained person. I am a CPA, very left brained person. If I stared at her shadow spinning at the bottom, I could get my brain to switch to counter clockwise.

59. whoorl says:

Counter-clockwise, and I’m defintely left-brained. However, if I turn my screen slightly, I can see both ways.

60. Carrie @ Three-Girl Circus says:

I saw counter-clockwise when I first looked at it. But just for a second, she immediately went to clockwise and now I can’t see it counter-clockwise at all.

Clockwise at first, and I couldn’t imagine seeing her go counter-clockwise. Then all of a sudden, she WAS! Freeeakkkyyy!

62. steph says:

that is trippy.
    at first clockwise, then counter.
    now it goes back and forth randomly

Clockwise for both me and Peep. He was only seeing clockwise then all of a sudden it changed for him. Then it changed for me, then it changed back for him. Then I could only see counter-clockwise and he could only see clockwise. Weird.

64. Caffienated Cowgirl says:

Both…clockwise first, then counter…but it looked like she stopped one direction after about half a minute and changed to the other.

65. Chris says:

I still can’t get her to flip and go counter clockwise. And I have tried all the tricks stare at her shadow, look at her hip, turn your head, blink rapidly, look at her nipples…

nothin’

I can see her both ways, although initially it was counter. My husband swears she is changing direction.

67. stacie says:

Fun! I could see nothing but clockwise until my baby squawked and I walked across the room to hoist her up, looking back at the computer, she had switched! A couple kids walked in, one saw strongly clockwise and one giggled and said, “she keeps switching!” After (too much) practice we all could make her switch, with one of the kids spouting, “her arms are going one way and her feet the other!” Wonder where his brain is?

68. Shelly says:

First we saw Counter Clockwise and then I saw her keep switching. My 8yr old saw the same thing I did. My 7yr old kept seeing her doing clockwise. Can’t wait to ask my DH what he sees.

My boys loved this!! I only saw her going clockwise, however my 10 year old was going back and forth with his answer every time she spinned. My 17 year old was a little disappointed after he realized he couldnt manage to see her counter-clock wise after he did initially. WEEEEIRD but totally cool.

70. Missy says:

I’m completely irritated by this, because at first, she was clockwise for me, but I watched for several minutes, and then she was counterclockwise. That threw me a bit, so I concentrated and watched a little longer, and she SWITCHED! I am telling you, she changed direction intentionally. Right leg leading, then after a couple of minutes, the left leg leading. I’m thinking it’s not legit.

71. Jackie says:

I see her going counter clockwise…I’ve tried to make her go clockwise and she won’t for me. My 9 year old daughter sees her going clockwise and my 10 year old son sees her counter clockwise. Okay now my daughter is saying she’s going counter clockwise and clockwise, lol.

72. Jackie says:

lol okay now if my daughter using her finger on the screen to show me how she goes clockwise I see it. Weird.

73. wookie says:

If I glance, I see counter. I if I watch, I see clockwise. If I watch her refection and cut off her butt, I see counter again.

It’s very, very odd. If they had a flat silloette, it would be impossible. My brain would explode.

74. kalisah says:

I’m w/ you Chris - it’s ONLY clockwise. I tried & tried but just can’t see it any other way. Now my head kind of hurts.

My husband only sees it counter, which I completely expected.

My Kid (age 14) could see both - counter first and then both. Which I also predicted.

Weird.

75. tess says:

Hi Chris -

-the girl absolutely IS turning clockwise BUT the shadow is as if she is turning counterclockwise. So your brain is perceiving either the girl’s direction, or the logical direction of her shadow. Or switching between :).

76. tess says:

Oops, pressed ’submit’ too early . . . if you cover her feet and look at the shadow, a person that sees clockwise can see counter clockwise better.

77. Single Mom With Tiny Tot says:

clockwise, and no possible way to make her go counter. oddly enough, my daughter was nursing when i went to go look and she spotted the dancer. she started jumping up and down and humming and clearly recognized that she was dancing (my daughter is one). i wish i could tell which way SHE say the dancer turning.

78. t in h says:

She is definitely turning anti-clockwise. I absolutely can NOT get her to move in a clockwise direction, concentrate as I may. Dh is the same. However, I have a fairly equal mix of left-brained and right-brained traits and suck, oh I so very suck, at math!

Ha! I just had my two older kids try it. My daughter said the dancer was moving clockwise–no, wait, anti-clockwise–no, clockwise! The dancer kept switching directions every second or so. Same thing for my son.

Now my dh, with concentration, can see her moving clockwise.

I still can’t. Dopey mummy.

79. emily says:

I initially saw counter-clockwise, though she quickly switched to clockwise, and stayed that way for a while. Now I can get her to switch back and forth.

80. Carola says:

At first it was definitely counterclockwise, and I couldn’t imagine how she could possibly be turning the other way. Then I read the article where it said that we could try and change the direction by concentrating…I changes it clockwise and now I can’t possibly see it counterclockwise again…this is really interesting, thanks.

81. alayna says:

Okay, mostly clockwise, but I can occasionally get her to switch, but it’s weird! But one thing I know - this girl needs a bra! With the way she’s bouncing around those things would be all over the place!

82. Carola says:

ok…by looking at the shadow you can “make her” switch.

83. Erika says:

I saw counterclockwise all the way, couldn’t figure out how you’d see any other. But I could train myself to see the other way too. Freaky!

84. Kelly says:

I agree with your 10yo.. She spins both ways for me. First it was clockwise, then I looked away for a sec , looked back and she’s spinning counterclockwise.. Darn lady keeps switching on me.. I had my husband try and he can only see clockwise.

85. Mary says:

No matter what I do, I can only get her to spin clockwise, and I can’t fathom how she is spinning any other way. Of course, I am as right-brained as they get, so that only makes sense!!

Clockwise for me. But my hubby saw it both ways!!

87. Kim says:

I see counter clockwise, but I can also see clockwise easily, I just turned my laptop upside down.
    Kim

88. amanda says:

At first counterclockwise and then clockwise after I glanced left to read about which side of the brain that meant.

89. Hallie says:

I saw it clockwise. I then started at the feet for about 10 seconds and went back to looking at the body. The body changed to counterclockwise.

Very interesting.

90. Joy H says:

Clockwise — I’ve seen it before. So interesting.

91. queendivakate says:

Everyone in my house see her spinning counter clockwise but my autistic daughter and me. We both see her spinning both ways.

92. Elizabeth says:

Well, Chris, that’s the meanest thing you’ve ever done to me. Thanks! I was completely clockwise, and so was everyone else I had near me, so I wasn’t sure I could get her to switch. Then, I looked at the shadow to confirm that there was no possible way it could be clockwise - confirmed it in my brain - then unfocused my eyes a little and she was counter-clockwise. It goes away if I look right at her, though.

My DH refuses to believe there is any other way.

93. nancy says:

I guess I’m weird because I saw her first spinning clockwise then counter clockwise ! :0)

94. Crystal says:

Clockwise for me… and then when I was reading the article she switched. I think it’s a program that just switches every 20-30 seconds or something.

Those of you who can “make” her change direction… can you make it change after 5 seconds?

95. Jeannette says:

Both ways - if I look away or from the corner of eye she switches.

Too cool!!!

96. CaliforniaGrammy says:

That is so bizarre . . . I can stare at it and she’s spinning clockwise with her right foot swinging around . . . and then miraculously she’s switched to the other foot and direction. I can’t “make” her do it but she just does. Fun, thanks!

97. dynamitt says:

both for me too. Have to show this to my husband.

98. Hillary in KS says:

I’m with your son. The dancer switches from clockwise to counter-clockwise, then back again. I wonder why?

99. Anna says:

Is there a reason she has to be naked…with nips? It was almost distracting…almost. I think she switches back and forth…I had a whole crowd of people at work staring at here trying to figure it out. ;-)

100. Kate says:

I can’t see anything but clockwise. There is no other option. I’m making myself a little crazy trying to see counter-clockwise. My husband agrees with me.

101. Charlotte says:

Both. First clockwise for a long while, then it started rapidly changing up on me.

102. Chris says:

Both…if you stare for awhile, she moves the other way. I swear….true story!

103. Ms. Carson says:

I saw both and siwtched all the time. I could make it switch directions by reading the text for a bit - when came back to look at her she had switched. Cool thanks for the link.

This is freaking me out. I swear they are switching up the video and messing with our brains (oh wait…).

At first I saw counter and then when I did the “stare at the bottom shadow thing” she flipped to clockwise. I think I use both sides of my brain equally but then again I’m a Libra and flip flop constantly. lol

105. Maddy says:

It is all to do with the direction of her foot, when you look at her foot it is going from left to right then right to left —–> then back

106. Jill says:

I can make her move both ways and if I look at her from the corner of my eye she actually sweeps her foot back and forth. I thought it was a trick at first that she was going both ways then looked at it with my sister and she would see her switch too only at different times and in different directions from me. Too weird!!

107. kate says:

First she was counter and now she’s turning clockwise and I can’t get her to go back.

108. Sarah G. says:

I can see her turn both ways, initially clockwise and then she flipped. As an added bonus if I concentrate on the foot she is balanced on I can briefly see the foot turn one way and her body the other way. Very freaky. Oh and my 11 year old son saw both ways.

109. Chris says:

I finally got her to switch directions. I really don’t think it is them messing with people, my kids saw it flip back and forth at completely different times from each other and different directions.

So weird that little cold dancer.

110. Jordana says:

For me it was only counter clockwise, but my husband says she was spinning both directions, as your son said.

111. Mishel says:

I see it counter clockwise (I’m right handed) and my husband sees it clockwise (he’s a lefty). Weird!

112. ann-marie says:

yikes. 111 comments. and yet i had to add one more: clockwise. definitely clockwise.

113. Lorelei says:

I’m so confused about the nipples that I can’t see which way she is turning. Reminds me of the chic on the mud flaps of big rigs.

L

Okay, I’m back again. She’s still switching back and forth for me. I find that if I look at her, then read the text (literally READ IT, not just look at it) on either side of the page, she’ll switch for me.

115. Amy says:

Clockwise…and now after reading the comments, I am going to go back and try to see her the other way!

116. kathleen says:

I can see both as well. If I look away she switches to the other direction. Am I bipolar??

117. Keryn says:

Clockwise–but I can make her switch pretty easily. Wild.

118. Phoenix says:

It went clockwise for a while and then switched. But then it switched back. Too freaky.

119. Nina says:

saw it counter clockwise, and then i went to read the comments and one of them was like saying about the erect nipples. look at it again and it change to clockwise to me. must have been the detail oriented part of me being utilised. lol….

120. Shelley says:

At first it was clearly counter-clockwise to me, and I couldn’t make it change. I asked hubby to look and he said counter-clockwise also. Then I looked away and looked back, and I finally saw her going the other way. At first I thought the picture was actually changing, but we got to a point where we could both see her going both ways, but it changed at different times for both of us. That’s got to be one of the weirdest things I’ve ever seen.

121. M says:

My 15 year old son says, “I only see her boobs!”

122. Annika says:

Counterclockwise. And I thought everyone who said clockwise was just messing with me until I asked my husband, the most creative person on the planet, which way she is spinning (without telling him why I was asking) and he said clockwise. So, um, I guess the people in my computer are probably not lying to me. THIS TIME.

123. Vanessa says:

Anticlockwise. Without a doubt ONLY anticlockwise until I turned to ask my son to come and take a look and then when I turned back it was clockwise.

124. Natalie says:

Oh my heck. I was almost ready to type “emphatically counterclockwise” (because I’d tried the aforementioned tricks without success) until, by sort of glazing over a bit, I noticed that her legs were (still) going to counter, but her arms were beginning to go clockwise. And then I could see clockwise, finally. But it was very, very hard for me to do, and within a few seconds, she went back to counterclockwise.

I tried it again, and she was definitely back to counter, but I can more easily force the clockwise motion now. Well, whatever; reading the descriptions makes me realize I definitely belong to the “left brain” group.

Now somebody get her a sweater already.

125. Sasha says:

I saw clockwise before her nipples poked me in the eyes.

126. Fairly Odd Mother says:

Counterclockwise and the description is me to a “T”. Cool! I want to see what husband says but it is 4am (the kids woke me up) and I don’t think he’d play along right now.

127. carol says:

Simply sit and look at the dancer for a long time eg 5 to 10 minutes and you will find she changes direction regardless to you being left or right sided. I promise you.
    Carol

128. diana says:

at first she went counter-clockwise, then i blinked a few times and then she switched!!! noe i can see it both ways!!
    fun little illusion!!

129. Cecily says:

She goes both ways. First, it was clockwise. But then as I watched again, she slowed down a little and started going counterclockwise. I watched a little longer (full on, not out of the corner of my eyes) and she slowed down again and went back to clockwise. Left brain fits me better than right, so I was surprised at the clockwise view.

130. Brigitte says:

Both. And now I feel very confused. Then again, that’s not unusual for me.

131. Linds says:

Both. She switches randomly all the time. My mother can only see clockwise, and got very irritated when I said I saw her moving the other way. Sigh. She is sulking as I speak.

132. Cara says:

She was definitely going counter-clockwise, but with very little effort I changed it to clockwise. And then I couldn’t get back to counter-clockwise so I looked away for a second. When I looked back, she was going counter-clockwise. And from there it was a toss up which way she was going when I looked back after a second and every once in awhile it would change when I didn’t think I had looked away. Weird feeling. But, kind of fits when I look at the list I have a strong mix of traits from each side, leaning to the left.

133. shannon says:

clockwise at first adn now i can only see her counter.
    my kids INSIST she keeps changing

134. Carly says:

Both! That’s freaky.

135. Qalballah says:

Totally clockwise and can’t get it to go counterclockwise at all. Yelp.

136. Qalballah says:

OOH WAIT - when I look directly at the image it is definitely clockwise and nothing else BUT when I look away from it and read the article and see the image from periphery it is counter clockwise. TRY IT does it do that for you too?

I see both (but I saw counter-clockwise first). Skinny G sees clockwise only.

138. Finn says:

Frustrating! I only see clockwise and nothing I do changes that. 8 yr. old son sees her switching.

I find it funny that people seem so proud of their left brain status, but no one seems to be leaving comments about their die-hard right brain-ness. I wonder if that is part of the different traits also? :)

139. Finn says:

Also, meant to add, this reminds me of that dolphin in a picture thing that you had to stare at from Christmases past… Could never see that damn dolphin either.

140. Anna says:

I can only see clockwise - also, in real life, she would only be turning to the right, because those legs and arms are raised. I am going back after reading people’s comments to see if I can make her switch.

141. mel says:

Natural is clockwise, but I can get her to switch.

What’s really interesting, though, is the number of people who are convinced that it must be a trick!

142. Andi says:

It’s hilarious, I can’t for the life of me see her going any way but anti-clockwise, but after I read the traits listed I said “well they have messed up” because every single right brain characteristic they list is mine, except perhaps that one in left brain that says “safe;” also, when I write and read I am detail-oriented but when I am actually out in the world I am very much a “big picture” type of person. I really don’t think the direction she is turning necessarily indicates anything about how you think, because if it does then I have been thinking the wrong way my entire life!

My sister is definitely left-brained; I’ll ask her when she comes home what she sees, because I stared at the screen for far longer than I care to admit, and I couldn’t make the poor wee naked girl change. Or even get dressed. Brr, I shiver just looking at her!

143. meredith says:

counter clockwise

144. Rebecca says:

Ok. She keeps switching on me. Does this mean that my brain is a mess?

145. Kim says:

Both. When I first saw it, she was spinning counter clockwise, but she changed directions on me. Now I see her spinning mostly in a clockwise direction, but she changes up for a few seconds to counter, and then goes back to clockwise again.

146. Karen Rani says:

Both. Weird.

147. Bronnie says:

For the first few minutes she was spinning Counter-clockwise. So I’m guessing I’m left brained. Which kinda makes sense that I’m doing an accounting degree. lol.

After a few minutes she spun the other way though.

148. Ayla-Monic says:

When I first look at her, she’s going clockwise. If I try hard, I can make her spin counterclockwise, but then I can’t make her go back until I stop looking for a while, and then when I bring the page back up, the first thing I see is her spinning clockwise.

nifty.

149. Saerah says:

At first glance counterclockwise, but then it switched to clockwise. I can make myself see it both ways, but based on the shadow of the foot that’s moving, counterclockwise seems “correct” to me.

OK, hubby just watched it and she is spinning both ways for him. He also wants somebody to turn on the lights in her studio so he can get a better look at her because she is obviously naked.

151. Angie says:

Counterclockwise for my son and me, both ways for my daughter, who took a different left/right brain test and came out balanced. How nice. . .to be balanced.

152. Laura K. says:

both for me and counter clockwise for DH. It can go both ways! First it goes clockwise and then it reverses! I SWEARRRRRRRRRRRRR

153. Jessica says:

I see it both ways. But only if I glace away out of the corner of my eye.

154. Danielle says:

She was first going clockwise and then I could get her to switch. I just want to know how they did it because I’ve been thinking about this for sometime now.

I have found that the easiest way to get her to switch is to change what I’m thinking about. If I think about all of the things that I have to do and create a detailed list, she will go anticlockwise if I think about the fact that people are frustrated and I feel bad for them, see is clockwise.

I just liked getting my kids to come in and do it and show me which way the girl was dancing. Especially because they said it was me and after three kids and some sudden weight lose, my boobs do not point up. I wonder what direction she would go if her boobs were at her belly button like mine?

155. kristen says:

When I first looked, it was going counterclockwise, then when I looked back it was clockwise, then when I looked again, it was counterclockwise. Interesting.

Oh my god now I’m totally dizzy.

What was the question again?

(Counterclockwise. All the time.)

157. carrien says:

both. clockwise first and then counter, and then I learned how to switch it at will by focusing on the feet.

158. fidget says:

both!

159. Haley says:

I was so bummed yesterday when I only saw clockwise. In college, I was my psych professor’s prodigy, as I was a true right and left brain person, so I didn’t comment. I simply couldn’t bring myself to say I was only right brained. How boring…even if I am in the minority! So, today, I went back, and sure enough, she was spinning the opposite direction. How odd. But then again, my favorite subjects to teach are writing and science. So, consider me a two-fer.

160. Mooshand3 says:

I definitely see both! It just changes to the other direction after awhile!!!

161. Trish says:

Clockwise. If I close one eye and turn my head, I can make it go counter-clockwise, but then it goes back to clockwise.

162. Abby says:

Clockwise for me! I can’t see it anyother way!

163. Common Mom says:

Counter clockwise and only counter clockwise. Stared at it forever and could not see it any other way.

164. Rebecca says:

I saw it counter clockwise but when i was reading the left brain list, i noticed out of my perifial visions that it started going clockwise. Freaky!

165. Barb says:

Freaky! Showed my 5yr daughter. I was using my fingers to to explain clockwise and counterclockwise. I was looking at the monitor while I was doing this and as I changed the directions of my fingers, the dancers’ direction changed. I was making the dancer move. Weird, weird, weird.

166. Jamie says:

Both - just depends whether or not you see the leg as in front or behind her when she spins. At least that’s how I see it. First glance though was that she was spinning counter clockwise. Now I should go and see what that means!

167. heels says:

I can’t see anything but clockwise. It started making me nauseous…

168. Leah says:

First counter clock wise then it switched to clock wise and I couldn’t make it go back. Weird. Love your blog!

169. charlie says:

I have morning sickness and that almost pushed me over the edge! lol I can see both but intially only saw clockwise. Weird.

170. Lottifish says:

I’m pretty sure that this is a joke. If you watch her for 30 seconds or so, she’ll start spinning the other way.

171. Therese says:

I saw her switch from counterclockwise to clockwise. Maybe it means both sides of my brain are equally dense?

172. Priya says:

I could only see clockwise…I read the comments and tried to see her going counter-, but couldn’t! Now my head hurts.

173. JJ says:

I really think this damned thing is just programmed to switch directions at random intervals (10s, 45s, …) and the real trick is to see how many personal theories that generates.

174. cristen says:

Like you, Chris, I can’t see her going any way but clockwise, and I have looked a few times today to see if I can get her to change. I sent it to my husband and asked what he saw and he wrote back, “All I can see are her nipples.”

175. falwyn says:

You’re joking. Both? Either? I see only clockwise.

176. Angie says:

Clockwise for me. I couldn’t see it going anti-clockwise until I really focused… and it kept going anti-clockwise until I re-focused and it went back to being clock wise.

It’s funny how the mind works.

It goes both ways. Just wait a few seconds, and the dancer will go the other way. A nice trick though!

178. Melanie says:

I see the problem - the initial website is Australian and everything spins in the opposite direction down there.

It’s CLOCKWISE people! What is wrong with you???? ;)

179. becky says:

I saw it spin both ways. You watch it for a while and suddenly it’s going the other direction AND she has changed the hand that is lifted out.

180. Melissa says:

Clockwise and I can’t make it counter-clockwise. I can’t figure out how people would see counter-clockwise either, which is odd because I normally test almost even as fair as left vs. right brained.

181. Rae says:

Both, my husband could switch them at will, but it was switching randomly for me.

182. Holly Smith says:

Both. Weird! and my husband said what Cristen said…but he saw her going counter-clockwise.
    Hmmm… what does it mean, what does it mean? Maybe it’s like Seinfeld and really about nothing.

183. still standing says:

Both but,
    If I close my right eye and read the words right, and left, then she switchs between the two direction without ever even completing a circle.
    Cool.

184. Red says:

It changes every few seconds from clockwise to counter clock wise. LOL

185. Mrs. Nehemiah says:

initally clockwise, then suddenly counter-clockwise, and now I can make it reverse by shifting my eyes to the left.

thanks this is cool

Mrs Nehemiah

186. Kristi says:

I just figured this out. Although I have been able to see her move both ways, I needed to know exactly WHY! When I saw a still image of this spinning dancer, I insisted on solving the mystery. If you can (meaning if you are technically able), copy the image in a still manner. Then look at it while focusing on the leg that she is holding up. Imagine it first as her left leg and then concentrate on the rest of her body as it would be in that direction. Then imagine it as her right leg and put the body into the proper pose for that way. If you concentrate on her outstretched arm as well, that helps. Hope I’ve explained this in a helpful way.

187. tsisageya says:

If you can situate it on the screen, here or at the original(?), to where all you can see is the top of the lady’s skull, it makes it much easier to control.

dancing lady brain, indeed!

188. maria says:

It changes, right? She spins clockwise for a while then switches? It can NOT be my brain doing that.

189. tsisageya says:

It’s an optical illusion, sillies.

It’s two-dimensional, not three.

190. shy Victoria says:

Clockwise. Not possibly anything else.

191. Jackie says:

I saw it both ways! Real interesting - I recently took a class on brain-based learning … and it is fascinating.

192. jeu de hasard says:

free texas holdem tournament free texas holdem free texas holdem poker download…

Avantde jouer casino free poker playing online…

193. juego al instante portales says:

casinos en ligne…

Hola casinos en ligne meilleures salles de jeux…