mark this day

mark this day

October 14, 2007

October 14, 2007:

Simultaneously wore a tank top, long sleeve shirt, sweater and jacket (with jeans, of course)and still felt cold.
Turned on the wood burning stove
Put the flannel sheets back on the bed
Declared for the first time this season that I hate winter

Don’t worry if you don’t remember, I am sure I will mention my hatred of winter a few thousand more times over the course of the next 6 months.

Comments

1. dcrmom says:

Oh I feel your pain. I hate it too. Bah Humbug.

2. Anna says:

I woke up with frost on the windows. I too hate winter.

3. LaShawn says:

I would gladly take the winter here. It still feels like Summer and I am tired of it. NEED SOME COLD….SEND TO TEXAS!

My first winter in NJ. Will probably be hating it in one month!!

5. Emperorp says:

Oh, I’m sorry to hear that winter is so miserable for you. It’s my favorite season and this year I even found myself talking and acting as if it were winter at the start of Autumn. (I made a Dublin stew in September with the temperature in the unseasonable, and unexpected, 80s.) It was as if my mind just decided to skip Autumn and move straight to winter this year. Maybe my love is a survival mechanism. I suppose being born and raised in Ireland, and now living in Seattle, I needed to just dive right in and embrace the bleakness. I will send all you winter haters well wishes every time I find myself blissing out this winter. I can’t promise I’ll wish it to end in hurry…so stay warm.

6. Single Mom With Tiny Tot says:

oh, boy, and it’s not even winter yet! but, i have to admit it, i turned the heat on this weekend…

7. Sueb0b says:

Move to California. I suggest selling about 5 of your kids first, so you will be able so semi-afford living here.

8. Jen says:

I confess I love winter. I think I have reverse seasonal affective disorder. I like having to pile on clothes and there is nothing better than getting into a bed with flannel sheets and a down comforter. Hot chocolate. Fleece. Less sweating. Less sunscreen.

I do hate that the laundry gets larger. I vote for my kids wearing shorts and tees all winter so as to keep the loads lighter.

9. dcfullest says:

I wore all of those things at different times– got to love it when the weather has mood swings.

10. Mike says:

My wife should be going into labor any day now. She must have about double the normal amount of blood flowing around her body because she is always burning up and asking to turn the ceiling fans on. Did I mention that I am not pregnant and have a normal body temperature? Maybe it will help toughen me up before the winter gets here, though.

11. Diatribal says:

Crap. I just moved “up north” from “the south.” I’m not looking forward to winter.

12. Angella says:

YOU AND ME BOTH on the hatred of winter. Sigh. I need to move to California.

13. arduous says:

Plus, what is more beautiful than the New England fall?

14. Bella says:

Ok - I’m willing to trade my sweet little house in the deep south (where it has not snowed in any form in the last … 6 years now) Frost so rarely settles that when I leave the house for work & see it - I squint so that maybe possibly I can trick myself into thinking it’s snow. My child has not one single sweater. One coat. Thin.

So I’ll trade for whoever wants to give up their snow (you must have at least 12 inches a year) and maintain some sort of actual level of cold for more than 3 days in a row.

You must take all children over the age of 1 with you during the trade though. I have the first 12 months of age figured out - anything over that will screw me up permanently!

15. Kathi says:

Amen Sister! I used to love, love, love the winter until we had 16+ Feet of snow last winter. Now I pray to god every day that my house will sell so I can finally move to a warmer clime……………after 20 years, I officially hate Alaskan winters. Although I still love the fall………

16. queendivakate says:

I wore shorts, flippies and a tank top all day. I live out west where winter is something you see on TV and don’t actually experience.

Find comfort in knowing that I pay a very high sunshine tax for that luxury.

17. carrie says:

Schnapps. Put a little in your cocoa and it’ll keep you warm!

18. genpoco says:

I hate it too. Still in denial here in VT though; I haven’t put my nearly dead flowers beds to bed yet. There still are sad looking blooms. Plus, it WAS 80 degrees last weekend…maybe it’ll happen again.

19. Brigitte says:

I don’t hate it until all the leaves are off the trees . . . then I long for a good dose of HiberNol (search Youtube for “hibernol chris farley”).

20. Karen Vogel says:

I love winter, so long as we’re past Christmas. And before March. Okay, so I love a 2-month winter. Just make sure your kids are well-equipped with lots of mittens, hats, boots, etc., so that you can kick them out of the house in all sorts of weather. When we were in Rhode Island, I was sending them outside when it was 15 degrees out there (okay, I was desperate). They hated it; but suffering makes you stronger, as any good New Englander knows. Winter is very pleasant in a nice, quiet house with the radiators purring and a cozy cup of hot cocoa steaming in your hand as you lie curled up on the couch with a good book. You just have to get the kids out of the picture!

21. JESSICA says:

oh i cant agree, i love all the seasons for everything they are but fall and winter are my favorites !

22. jody2ms says:

I have to agree with you. Although snow is such a novelty for us, and we love to see it, it would be hard for me to have it all the time.

I neeeeed the warmth.

23. Joanne says:

It isn’t winter, it’s fall. I hate fall. Love winter. By the time winter is here, I am used to it. But the change of Fall…ugh!

24. Joanne says:

Oh, my bedroom was 58 degrees when I woke up. I don’t like that. It doesn’t happen in winter, as the heat is toasty warm.

25. Gloria says:

Amen sister! Boo winter!

26. Lizzette says:

You can move over here to Texas where you can hate summer for 8 months! LOL

27. Jeannette says:

I love being able to do things without sweating! I love this time of year. Summer=yuck!

28. Mara says:

Don’t hate me, but I’m jealous!

29. ChristieNY says:

Yup, I dressed the kids in turtlenecks this morning as we headed out to school. I even put on my warm winter socks. I have the flannel sheets pulled out but haven’t gotten them on the bed yet - you’re a step ahead of me! ;)

“I dunno. I live in California, and while I certainly APPRECIATE the warmth year round, it does get a little monotonous. I wish it would rain at least!”

AMEN! Where I am, we have had 1.82″ of rain in A YEAR’S TIME. I am shriveling up and will soon look 90, I do believe. What I would do for an overcast day, even!

31. Jodi says:

Bella! I am coming! :) I will bring all my kids with me if I can live somewhere that I have to imagine snow!

I dread winter every year. Summer never stays long enough.

32. cce says:

We’re straddling the seasonal divide here. The kids still want to wear shorts and Crocs and I want hot tea and fleece and flannel pajamas. We finally gave in and put the heat on last night. 39 degrees when I woke this morning.

33. marta says:

What really caught my attention was the date on your post. You see, October 14th is my birthday and since I was born 38 years ago it rained for the first 22 October 14th’s. Even if the day before or after were sunny and warm, somehow the 14th would always have a bit of rain. Now enter my then boyfriend. When I turned 23 it did not rain. Nor the year after. Nor the year after. Nor, even, the year we were (already married) in London. It never rained again on the 14 of October. And this year we spent the day at the beach, playing in the sand and swimming, with our 3 kids and some friends. For the first time in 38 years. I love climate change!!!!!!!!!!!

Marta from Lisbon

34. Mary Beth says:

I just moved to VT. I hated winter in PA - I am afraid of what I am in for this year!! Is it almost spring yet???

35. Dawn says:

Yeah, I’m all about the layers. I don’t mind winter so much. I just hope this won’t be one of our 20′ of snow on the ground at once winters. Those suck.

36. Jessica says:

I’m sorry! Come to Guam, there is no winter :)

37. nancy says:

Winter= itchy dry raw skin, colds, asthma attacks, sinusitis and the most dreaded THE FLU!!!!!!!!!!Oh winter let me count the ways I hate you LOL! Summer please come back!!!!!!!!!!!!

38. Danielle says:

I’m sorry but I’m so tired of it saying that it’s over 90 degrees outside. i’m tired of it being humid when it’s midnight. Just something wrong about that.

39. DaddyDaddy says:

My mother-in-law was here this weekend and complained the entire time about how cold my house is. I offered her a fleece. I cooked her food and bought her dinner (she’s as hefty as George Bush is bright). I reminded her that Al Gore just won the Nobel Prize.

But somehow, it’s easier to kvetch and nudge the thermostat than it is to dress the part.

40. Just Seeking says:

I am sooo with you! We live in the mountains and it is already FREEZING in the mornings and evenings (but still not bad midday). I miss Tucson! What will I do without my flipflops?!?!

41. JoAnna says:

Great site.

42. halloweenlover says:

Ugh, me too. I stood in front of my closed bedroom window and it was practically windy inside. That is what I get for buying an old house, huh? I hate being cold!

43. GiftGuru says:

I just moved from Florida to Georgia..the seasons do not change in either state really, and it is still 80 degrees. I was under the impression that the Peach State had some cold months by October. I would love to trade places with you and actually have some form of a chill rather than wearing flip flops in October and November.

Maybe you can tell me what a Fall leave actually looks like up close and personal..inquiring “Southern” minds would like to know
    ; - )