I have 3 used teabags and half a deck of cards

I have 3 used teabags and half a deck of cards

October 21, 2007

So Saturday afternoon in a fit of I must rid my house of clutter RIGHT NOW I put up three big things on Freecycle, including the refrigerator I mentioned in my last post.

When I got the emails back I was very specific about the time. You can arrive before 10am or at 1:00. At 1:00 on the dot two trucks pulled up. And the freecyclers helped each other load their stuff into their respective trucks.

My faith in freecycle has been restored. Somewhat. Until the first email comes through offering a half used box of tampons and I am left hoping that it is the unused half of the box they are talking about.

Comments

1. JCK says:

Too funny! I don’t know if we have freecycle where I live, but I am a huge fan of Craig’s list and it is such a good feeling of letting go…to get rid of stuff. I’m good at selling stuff on Craig’s list, but then unfortunately am also good at buying more stuff! Thanks for the laugh tonight.

2. Shannon says:

I’m so glad your faith has been restored. ;)
    I’ve given away several things but the only thing I have ever received was some maternity clothes. They smelled like cigarette smoke.

3. Rhonda says:

I got a better one. How about the remaining box of condoms since they don’t need them anymore because she is pregnant! I don’t think I want THOSE condoms, sounds to me like they didn’t work!

4. Anna says:

Ha! So funny! I might have to sign up just to see what it’s all about.

5. Heidi says:

EWWWW!!! That is so gross. But sadly, I know people who would actually try putting up a used - EWWWW. I can’t even finish that. LOL

6. M. says:

I like Rhonda’s answer!! I have a box of condoms just like that in my drawer, and we have baby number three because of them! HA! Oh, sorry, TMI? Never mind, forget it

7. CathyC says:

Ha ha ha! I’m glad someone was able to use your stuff. Have a great day!

8. Karen Vogel says:

One of the items wasn’t a child, was it?

9. maria says:

I love Freecycle. Some of the postings are ludicrous, of course, but isn’t it SO MUCH BETTER than throwing all that stuff in the landfill, or spending money on something someone down the street is getting rid of anyway?

Sorry to have no sense of humor. PMS I think.

10. Heather K says:

I’ve given up on freecycle. We downsized tvs and gave away an older 36″ Sony and the people who came for it had the nerve to complain that it was…..heavy! Um, duh.

11. Dan d says:

I don’t use freecycle anymore, for similar reasons.

I am now a big advocate of Craigs List. I also don’t list stuff as “FREE” - I charge $5 or something. Even though the price tag is small, it seems to weed out the crazy “FREE STUFF” people, and my results have been a lot better.

Dan

12. Denise says:

You changed your feed!
    Wow.
    Why did you do that?

13. Jen says:

It must be a regional thing. I do see occasional complaints about no-shows and have had one. But otherwise, around here? It’s generally a big-old feel good kinda thing with some stranger thanking you profusely for your trash. Win-win. We’ve ditched a futon and frame, a porch swing (the hook came out of the ceiling, we went with a glider), ancient cross country skiis, a car-top carrier that didn’t fit any cars we’ve owned in the last decade and a half.

I try not to read though, since I don’t want more stuff. Of course, I did read the day that the rice steamer was already gone. That’s the only thing I wanted, knowing I’d use it three times and then never again. Oh well.

14. jess says:

I just signed off FreeCycle today. I’m just going to donate all our really good items to Goodwill and chuck the rest. I realize the point of FreeCycle is to free up the landfills of “junk” that can be reused, etc., but when you get tons of emails and no one follows up or shows up when they are supposed to, it’s not worth dealing with any longer. I think the same people are on Craigslist around here since the same things happens there.

I hate doing that and didn’t have any of these problems with FreeCycle in my old town, but here people want, want, want–as long as it’s the “right” color, brand, shade of red, or the moon is full on the 10th day in the second week of the month. Hey, free is free for me. I’m not picky when it comes to free. If I’m paying, heck yeah, but free is not the time to turn into a stickler on exactly what color you want your dish drainer to be. If you care that much, buy one.

It is such a good idea. *sighs* Too bad people in this area can’t be mature about it. If we end up moving, I’ll sign back up in my new town.

15. Sarah says:

We must be lucky around here - no real problems with our local group that I know of, partly because people often clearly state “bulk lot, will not separate” or similar. We often get things being re-offered too, eg a bag of boys clothes size 4-6 get taken, then a week or 2 later, the rejects which are too small for the recipient get re-offered. But it’s funny how some people don’t seem to know they want something until someone offers one, and then when they miss out they suddenly start posting wanteds for the same thing - happened recently with bread makers. One was offered, and over the next month about 8 requests went up.

16. Sara says:

I’m glad your faith is restored. :)

17. Emily says:

Lets see… I have half a box of tampons, an unused pregnancy test (box is opened), a partial bottle of midol, a can of tuna, and a couple cans of caffeinated diet coke, any takers?

18. liz says:

I know this is an old post that no one is reading comments on but this just came up on my freecycle.

“Looking for:
    Isulation
    Interior & exterior doors
    Windows
    Drywall
    Electrical wiring
    Circuit Breaker
    Plumbing
    Wood for cabinets,stairs etc

Electric Hot water heater
    some type of heat source

Also need Shower or tub
    Bathroom & kitchen cabinets”

Sounds like they just need a house.

19. maggie says:

I love freecycle. Though - you’re right - some weird stuff turns up!!

20. I have 3 used teabags and half a deck of cards says:

[...] the war on tantrums since 1994            I have 3 used teabags and half a deck of cards So Saturday afternoon in a fit of I must rid my house of clutter RIGHT NOW I put up three big [...]