Trick or Treat, Is There An Age Limit?

Trick or Treat, Is There An Age Limit?

October 23, 2007

I posed this question over at Parenting today.

I can’t really remember the last time I went trick-or-treating. I know I went in ninth grade with a friend of mine who lived in an apartment complex. I remember this because I realized this sort of trick or treating was a different animal. Where had it been all my life?

Some people think that is too old. What do you think? Do you care? As long as the kids are in costumes I am happy to give them candy. Who doesn’t want some free candy once a year?

I also went off on a small tangential rant about parents who let their kids run wild on Halloween night with no supervision. Every year I become more and more irritated by this, at the kids but mostly their parents. I want to grab the parents and say, “Be a PARENT for crying out loud.”

Comments

1. Zoot says:

I believe that if someone comes to my door and knocks, they deserve candy. Regardless of age or costume. In my opinion (which is strictly my opinion) candy is not valuable enough of an item and Halloween is not sacred enough of an institution to make rules. I love Halloween and I love handing out candy. I get tons of gets at my door that are probably too old and are not in costume, but the fact that they came to my door is enough for me. And we get GOBS of kids. Our neighborhood is the one people just drop their kids of in and then come back to get them later.

(Wow. Sorry for taking over your comment section like that.)

2. Janssen says:

I personally think that, if you’re in high school, you’re too old. But I will give candy to a teenager who comes in a LEGITIMATE COSTUME (dressing as a hooker or a hobo are not legit, in my book).

I am willing to give the older kids treats — but they have to do a trick. :-) I don’t care if they do a cartwheel, do armpit farts, tell a joke or burp their ABCs - if you are as tall as I am (and sometimes, have barely made an effort to wear a costume) then ya gotta work a little for it.

I have always gotten and “Are you serious?” and then a grin and a trick. And we live in a high candy area - so the older kids DO know about me.

4. Kini says:

I am in the camp that as long as they are in an ACTUAL Halloween costume, I will give them candy. HOWEVER, I will usually give the really older ones one piece, whereas I always give the teeny ones several pieces (they won’t go as far and as long).

5. nabbalicious says:

I think the last time I trick-or-treated was in ninth grade, too. I’m with you — as long as you’re in costume, I don’t care if you’re older.

But in my old neighborhood, all I got were a bunch of teenagers wearing shirts with skulls on them. That is NOT a costume, people.

6. Amy says:

Delurking - because I am a vocal proponent of lifting all age restrictions from trick or treating! It’s always bugged me intensely that people get so weird about anyone over two feet tall coming to their door … I just think the spirit of the holiday is about masquerade and gentle “mischief” and fun, and everyone should be able to enjoy it equally! What’s the difference between giving a 12 year old candy, and a 5 year old? Or a 30 year old for that matter? If someone puts out the effort to deck themselves out and go merrily marching door to door, they deserve a candy bar. I would love it if people could really explain exactly what’s so wrong with the older crowd being part of the fun. It makes it seem more like communtiy festivity, to me. The roots of the holiday are the Celtic new year, communicating with the spirit world (the veil between worlds is thinnest at this time, so they say), harvest time, and so forth … what *is* the big deal if the whole neighborhood participates?

7. Karen Vogel says:

My eldest son quit trick-or-treating at the ripe old age of almost 15 last year - it was a bittersweet reminder of the passage of time and how the kids really won’t be little forever. Of course, he may have continued a year or two longer if he wasn’t assured of getting a goodly amount of his younger siblings’ extra candy.

As for who comes to my door, hey - if they take the candy, then I won’t eat it. Nuff said.

8. girlymama says:

I went trick-or-treating my senior of high school with two exchange students. We were all in costume and the exchange students were hilarious, running from door to door yelling “Trick-or-Treat!” and giggling like little kids. It was so fun!
    But before that I think I went in 8th or 9th grade… I believe my parents made me take my younger siblings so they didn’t have to ;-)

9. lotus07 says:

When I was young, we roamed all over the place unsupervised, but those were different times and society wasn’t so jaded back then. Couldn’t imagine letting children do that these days. Where we live (an historic neighborhood), they bus the children in from 50 miles away to walk down the old tree lined streets. They come by the thousands (literally) and they have to close the streets to traffic near our house.

My concern isn’t the older children. They don’t tend to want candy anyway. It is the younger adults, that bring their 6 month old out (dressed as a bumble bee or a turtle in their stroller) and expect to get candy for the baby and for the parent. This happens with about 1 in ever 4 people that file past our house. It is sort of obvious that the 18 something with a 1 year old is just looking for free food for herself and is using her offspring to double dip.

10. BeingParents says:

Halloween is too over rated. Kids should have a blast pretending and imagining through out the year.Also,Parents need to give their kids more freedom the rest of the year.

Ok, the following story is evil and is in no way reflective of my typical behavior.
    Every year we have kids come to our door that look so old, I would think they’re just taking a break from their thesis. So a couple years ago my husband had just returned from a business trip in Japan and he had brought home a ton of candy and treats for me to sample. One of the bags was filled with these individually wrapped squares that were chalky tuna flavored things. Super nasty. Anyway, we decided to have two trick-r-treat bowls - one for kids and teenagers with costumes and one for teenagers without costumes. We didn’t want to get egged, so we mixed the nasty treats in with some cheap-ass Smarties, so when they scooped their giant hands in the bowl, they would get both.
    I hate to say it but we would just laugh and laugh after we closed the door.

12. Kerry says:

A lot of people I know get really angry at older kids trick or treating. I think it’s great. It seems like our society just wants teens to not exist. I would much rather have teens come to my door for some free candy then come later with TP. Usually the older kids we get are super polite. And I could care less if they are in costume. As long as they ring them bell they can have candy!

Kerry

13. judi casey says:

my kids have always trick or treated through high school- they come up with really creative costumes and i think it is great- a lot better than what lots of other teens are doing. if kids go to the trouble of making costumes- why would anyone care how old they are?

14. Lisa Lisa says:

I hand out candy to anyone in costume on Halloween. I’m not sure why some people put an age limit on handing out candy??? I think, if anything … it would make the older kids mad and snach a bag from a younger kid :o(

I feel the same with kids running wild. I have three little ones and every Halloween I’m constantly making sure they don’t get ran over by the other kids.

15. Anna says:

Any age gets candy. Last year, we had all of six kids, though, so it wasn’t an issue.

One year, though, the teenagers came late- about 9:30. They very nicely trick-or-treated, we gave them some, and then asked for the candy we had left. Very crafty! We kept it. :-P

16. Amy says:

I trick-or-treated until I graduated from High School, and although I think I’ve had 3 people ask for candy from me since then (and it’s been more than 10 years), I’m hoping I get some this year now that I have a house.

I don’t care how old you are - if you show up at my place and want candy, you can have some. Like Kerry said - better show up for candy than show up later with TP (and eggs).

17. kalisah says:

My Kid went last year w/ a small group of friends. He was in 8th grade. I didn’t think it was too old. I don’t know if they behaved themselves b/c I didn’t accompany them. I think they’ve got a party to go to this year though.

18. heels says:

All I ask is that the big guys let the little kids go first if they show up at the door at the same time. Last year my son (who was 1 and just out for the fun of it) was knocked over by some teenagers rushing to get to the door first. It’s not the age, it’s the manners. I loved trick-or-treating when I was in high school and I wouldn’t want to take that away from other kids as long as they’re respectful. I do prefer if they’re in a costume, only because it’s more fun for me that way!

19. Carla K says:

I don’t really care if teens want to do it. It would be nice if they would put forth the effort to wear a costume, but if they’re T or T’ing, they’re not going to drinking parties they are too young for, kwim? I agree with Lotus. I hate to see infants with no teeth T or T’ing for huge bags of candy. Yeah, I took my infants out with my older kids, but they stayed in the stroller and they didn’t get their own bag. I figure, if you can’t toddle to the door, you’re probably not old enough to be snarfing candy.

20. kris says:

I’m 22, and I still go trick-or-treating. People are sometimes kind of rude to me - “Aren’t you a little old for this?” and not said in a kind, laughing manner, either. So I reply “Mentally or physically?”

*shrugs* I don’t think I’m too old because I still enjoy it and I do dress up.

21. carrie says:

If they wear a costume, they get candy! It’s Halloween!!! That’s how it works at my house anyway. I don’t discriminate based on age - but teenagers dressed as teenagers holding pillow cases, I’ll give them some roasted pumpkin seeds or something.

22. jennielynn says:

I actually get a bigger kick out of the older kids. Good idea about making them do a trick. I may steal that this year.

23. jennielynn says:

Oh, a double comment: I just read Lotus and I keep a few Gerber fruit snacks on hand for the tiny ones. They are nasty tasting, but the babies love them!

As long as there are costumes and no meanspirited behavior, I am all for the trick-or-treaters.

25. Wendy says:

We get tons of older kids in our area. Frankly, I don’t care if they have a costume on or not. Some of these kids look like grown folks and I don’t won’t to get smacked around for a snack size butterfinger. The most important part of trick or treating is the TRICK.

26. Mar says:

All four years of high school, my best friend and I would get dressed up and trick-or-treat for canned goods that we then donated to a food shelter. We usually took a few younger neighborhood kids with us too, so that their parents could stay home and not have to deal with cranky little ones. By the end of the night, we would have a wagon full of canned goods and two little kiddos perched on top.

27. Jessica says:

I would get a bit upset when older kids would come to trick or treat at the mall I worked at. Mostly because we only had so much money the company would let us spend on candy (all the store were like that) and once we would run out of candy that was it. Every year we would run out before the two hour time period would be up. Usually, there would be little kids who didn’t get candy. I think I stoped trick or treating in Middle school and it’s more important for the younger kids to enjoy it ;)

28. wookie says:

I am happy to give you candy as long as you are wearing a costume. And once I turn off my light, please don’t come to my door! I’ve got small kids who go to bed by 9pm and a really loud barking dog.

29. Jane says:

I give candy to anyone who comes to my door and says,”Trick or treat”.All ages welcome.My kids go trick or treating till they’re around 17.I have friends who went till they were in their mid 20’s and then had their own kid.They didn’t want to steal his thunder.I always dress for Halloween.When my kids were little,I’d always wear a costume taking them door to door.I have known parents who think the night before Halloween is just some good fun and pranks for their kids.I don’t understand that.I’ve know people in their 50’s who have provided their kids with eggs,soap and toilet paper so their kids could trash people’s homes,cars and yards.All in good fun.I do NOT understand that.Trashing the neighborhood is not a good time for the grown ups that have to clean it up.It’s not considerate.Yes,these same people seem to think trick-or-treating is solely for children 12 or under.

30. Bastet says:

If you are daring enough to dress-up, you deserve the candy. I can’t remember how old I was the last time I went trick-or-treating, but I do remember I wore a trash bag and said I was “trash.” and got some candy and lots of weird looks. That was my last year! :)

31. Anna says:

A kid is a kid…if they knock, they get candy! We love Halloween!

32. Mary W says:

we have a group of boys that show up every year - they’re seniors this year - in costumes. They dress as girls. The first year they were all cheerleaders - short skirts pony tailed wigs stuffed sweaters - the whole bit. The next year they were prom queens - on guy even wore heroes (they started getting facial hair the makeup couldn’t hide) and last year they were belly dancers. I can’t wait to see what they come as this year. One of them is the bagger at the local Kroger. He said they were coming and had great costumes.

33. Debbie H says:

I heard about this at work: One Halloween a parent came to the door and said “My child is sick, can I have candy for him/he?”…odd I think.

34. Kelly says:

no one mentioned this, but it is my pet peev on Halloween…open the door and…silence. What ever happened to actually saying, “trick or treat”? I don’t care how old they are I make them say it before I hand out the candy. I also hound my children to say it loud and clear with a “thank you” at the end.

I think it should all be about fun and doing something that you can’t do the rest of the year. If the older kids are out TOTing then they aren’t egging anyone’s car. I had some teens one year and a girl asked me if I had any lollipops. I went and dumped half a bag that I had left into her pillowcase (because once you pass the age of 7 the only cool thing to TOT with is a pillowcase) and she was so excited! I do like the idea of having them do a trick if they aren’t dressed. I may try is and hope my house doesn’t get egged during the night.

36. Chandra says:

Alright, the comments are looking good so I can fully admit, I went trick or treating through high school and came home a couple times when I was in college to go with my little siblings. In my defense, I have six younger sibs (and some older) and Halloween was a huge deal at our house. I loved going and who doesn’t enjoy free candy. We were however polite and waited our turn. Trick or Treat!! Be nice to the big kids, some are doing it for the pure joy of the holiday and yummy candy.

37. Amy says:

Any age is fine by me as long as you are not trampling the little ones in a race to get to the door. I did tell a group of middle-schoolish kids no thanks a few years ago when they tore through the yard and knocked little ones over. No parents around at all, either. But other than that, anyone who wants to dress up can get candy at our house.

38. Meagan says:

I don’t see what the big deal is at all. It’s not as though adults don’t celebrate Halloween, what with all our parties and such. And I don’t want teenagers at cocktail parties, so…what is their alternative?

Kids grow up too fast.

39. Single Mom With Tiny Tot says:

you can be 93 for all i care…but you must be COSTUMED. of course, if you came to my door without a costume and demanded candy, i’d give it to you anyway. i wouldn’t want to risk your wrath later on once you got a hold of eggs, tp, and silly string…do they still make silly string?

40. amy says:

Personally, I guess I just don’t get it. If you want candy, can’t you just go to the store and buy it? Nevertheless I would be loathe to be a scrooge so I always give out good candy and lots of it, but I seriously do not get it and my own kids are not supposed to trick or treat anymore because they are teenagers! Anyway, they usually go to a party or two with their friends and dress up and that is the fun part anyway.

41. Earthami says:

My only rule is you have to be in costume and if you are a teen and are wear some obscure costume I will ask you what you are going as. Most amusing by far was the year someone dressed as Chenney with a shot gun and his buddy as a lawyer with a bandaged face. Teens make me laugh. (I’m not sure that will be the case in 8 years when mine becomes one)

42. Kim says:

I agree with the costume = candy crowd. My daughter went out through tenth grade.

Last year two teen boys came to my door together. One had some sort of costume with face paint, and I gladly threw some candy in his pillowcase. The other boy was in jeans and a T-shirt with some stupid statement. I looked him in the eye and said, “Wow. It’s a teenager. I see you worked REALLY hard on your costume.” He smirked and I kept staring for a long time. He then began shifting awkwardly and I finally gave him some candy along with a guilt trip - “I’m giving you extra candy because you win the award for THE WORST costume I’ve seen tonight. I hope this will inspire you to dress up next year.” Even under my dim porch light I could see his face turn beet red.

43. Amy says:

I was about nine or ten and my step-monster told me I was too old. Dummy me made the mistake of saying “well, Santa still comes to me!”

you guessed it - no more Santa.

I used to have some who would come and have NO costume and extend a wide open BOOKBAG - but I was too scared NOT to give them anything.

Now, of course, I’m not giving out candy; only taking my own kids out and my costume is usually ’stumbling drunk mommie’ playing who spills the most wine along the way with my best friend. (Don’t worry - our much more responsible husbands have the serious task of chasing and reigning in the kids.)

44. Lazy Organizer says:

I didn’t go after seventh grade and I thought that was too old. I don’t really care how old the kids are but what drives me crazy is the older kids who show up after nine o’clock when we’ve already turned off all the lights. We don’t open the door for those types.

45. Southern Girl says:

Well, I’ll be the stick in the mud and say I hate to see anyone older than 12 or 13 show up at my door on Halloween. Oh, they’ll still get candy ’cause in this city, refusing them is liable to get you shot or your house vandalized, but I don’t have to like it. If they’re old enough to drive themselves or be let out after dark without parental supervision then let ‘em get an after school job and buy all the candy they want. When I was a kid (yes, back in the olden days), anyone still trick-or-treating after the age of ten was called a baby by other older kids.

And amen to the ones who come after the lights are turned off — not about to open the door at that point.

46. Sassy Pants says:

I think trick-or-treating should be for all ages. However, I’m really liking the “perform a trick” thing that Heather mentioned. Taller than me would be most of my oldest son’s friends. Definitely liking it! Woohoo! Where’s my camera?

47. Mishel says:

I think trick-or-treating should be for whoever wants to dress up and go out. I am 28 and plan on getting a bit dressed up myself. Not too much but a bit. I, however, am really only doing this b/c I am taking my son out for his 1st Halloween but even if it wasn’t for him I think I’d still get a little dressed up. He’s only 9 months old and while I am not really going out for candy for him, I’ll just keep some of what I have at home if we don’t get any while we’re out, it’s his 1st Halloween and I have this great costume: he’s going to be a NINJA! Now, would you really keep your child in, even at 9 months old, if he was a ninja? I think not:)!

48. Beverly says:

We let our middle child still trick or treat with our youngest and all the little cousins. He’s dressed as a beat-up baseball player every year, and the neighbors don’t seem to mind. But, he does go around with us, and he is supervised…not sure if that makes a difference~

49. Lianna says:

I’m a sophomore in college and I am definitely dressing up to go trick-or-treating with my two nieces this year! I’m going to be a kitty cat, complete with ears, whiskers and a tail! (= You’re never too old to dress up and get free candy!

50. Carola says:

We don’t celebrate haloween down here (Chile) so no opinion…but what happened to the new design on your blog?

51. janet says:

so… um… what is going on with your blog today? feeling a little retro?

52. Stephanie says:

I think that you really should be in costume… or at least throw on some face paint. Teenagers are fine in my book, but adults? Adults who don’t dress up? They are lucky I’m a sucker who avoid confrontation. A couple years ago, a young woman — not in costume — came by with her costumed infant, seriously three months old tops, and a trick-or-treat bag. I KNOW that baby was not going to be the one eating the candy bars we were handing out. I still gave her one (just one!), but also shot her a dirty look. Come on now, just go BUY yourself the candy.

53. Erika says:

Well, I’m going out this year, with my kids, in costume and damit I want candy too! LOL
    Just because I’m older and can buy my own candy, doesn’t mean it’s not fun to get all dressed up and go door to door and trick or treating. Seriously, whats the big deal. It’s all in FUN. Sometimes LIFE is just too dam serious. One night a year, act like a kid. WTH right? What do you have to loose? If you dress up good enough NOONE will know it was YOU… LOL

54. Halloween Rules? at Triple Venti says:

[...] at Notes from the Trenches (and technically via Parenting before that), there were a question and an intersting issue [...]

55. ckstreng says:

I say Trick or Treat at all ages! I would much rather that older kids are getting their kicks out of running around getting high on sugar than high on drugs and getting into trouble.

A TREAT we received lately… we were BOOED!! Someone left us a goodie bag on our steps, knocked and ran away. The kids loved this and it was simple festive things in the goodie bag. See my site for details, I’m hoping to get that posted up today.

56. lizinsumner says:

This is a pet peeve of mine…..if they’re old enough to drive, they’re old enough to work. If they’re old enough to work, they’re old enough to BUY THEIR OWN FRIGGIN’ CANDY!!!!!!! Guess that qualifies me as a Halloween Scrooge, but, oh well….I was 13 the last time I went trick or treating - and that was one year too old, I realized it about half way through the evening, cut it short and went home. But I’ll close with a quote from Mean Girls: “Halloween is the one time each year that girls can dress like sluts and the other girls can’t say anything bad about them for it” (or something like that)……..

57. creative-type dad says:

The kids with costumes get the “good” candy (M&M’s, Skittles, Snickers, etc.)

The teenagers with street-clothes get 1 BRACH’s hard candy or 1 Tootsie Roll — that’s like giving them broccoli .

58. Alicia says:

We had a “rule” in our house when I was a kid: No trick-or-treating once you turned 13. I remember it was a love-hate rule. Kind of cool that you were considered mature in the house; too old for a kid thing, but when it came down to actually not trick-or-treating, it kind of sucked. Overall, I think we all kind of like the rule because all went along with it because we felt grown up. Not sure if I’ll instill that in my own kids though. Have about 10 years to figure it out!

59. Ella says:

At age 14 the neighbors started giving me and my friends strange looks (even though we were in elaborate costumes) so, like one of the other commenters, I collect canned goods for a local food bank.

60. mia says:

my gosh,lighten up ppl,”legitimate”costumes,age limits???its halloween,why apply crazy rules,its for fun,one day out of the year.what if a kid couldnt afford a costume and indeed dressed as a “hobo”?who cares?ppl need to lighten up and not be such grouches trying to find something to always knitpick about…ridiculous..

61. princexx says:

hi everyone, I’m 17 and i am going trick or treating this year along with my older sister who is 20. Halloween isn’t about your age it’s about feeling younge again. i know i might not be that old but i miss being 5 and being able to go trick or treating without feeling insecure about myself which i do now.
    Not all teens are bad actualy im very polite i can’t even lie to someone i dispise. I would never think of doing something bad. Oh and females start feeling quilty about bad things around age 16 and guys start getting there guilt feeling when theyre around 25. so the older the better i say because then you know they wouldnt wanna hurt you.but dont get me wrong halloween is what makes the little kids happy and that makes me happy, i love seeing my nieces and nephew get all ready and get all excited but by the time they get home theyre to tired to eat….so cute!!!

62. Bovvy says:

I think if you are six years that is too old

63. ashley says:

I don’t care how old they are but I do get irritated when they are teens and they are wearing no costume at all. Not even an attempt at a homemade one.

64. shalin says:

I am going out with my 17 yr old son to trick or treat tonight. I am 37 yrs old and confined to a wheelchair. My son will be pushing me around the neighborhood for some fun times. We will both be in costumes as we can, with wheelchair inconvenience. We hope all can enjoy this special night of the year.

65. Amanda says:

I’m 15 years old and iv been tricker-treating since I was 3. And I have a blast absolutely every year. I always get dressed up and where a costume, a nice warm costume. Sometimes I see girls dressed like sluts expecting to get candy… thats just wrong. But no I where a costume usually one I make myself. and I help make costumes for my 2 brothers and 2 sisters. And grab about two of my teenage friends to come with me. We don’t steel candy from little kids or take large quantities, none of us drive and, none of us have jobs. We are polite and say trick or treat and thank you and I help my 4 year old sister (she has disabilities) to get candy. And I would be VERY VERY disappointed if someone denied me candy cause I am “to old”. I mean I’m sure there is an age limit. Id say once your over 18 yeah your two old. You can still get dressed up and stuff but once you get to be that age you should be passing out the candy to the future generations of trick or treaters or going to parties. But for now I want to enjoy being a kid when I have the chance.

66. Sara says:

I’m 16, and I’m sitting here waiting for it to get dark so me and my friends can go!!
    I’ve been trick-or-treating since I wasn’t even a month old. My mommy was a candy moocher, what can I say?
    I’m dressed up as a cute (and conservative!) school girl. I don’t know if it counts as a good costume or not, but it’s just the fun of dressing up!

I hope to get some candy, but since reading all of this… If someone says something along the lines of “Aren’t you too old for this” or declines us candy just because of our age, then I plan to smile and wish them a “Happy Halloween!”, then try the next house.

67. Joachim says:

Im a junior in high school and I haven’t gone TOTing since 8th grade. Not that there’s anything wrong with TOTing during or after high school it’s always cool to go to school and see people with creative costumes! As far as I’m concerned there isn’t an age limit to Trick or Treating as long as you aren’t spoiling it for the younger kids! :)

68. Jay Dee says:

Im getting second thoughts about tonight. im 19 and my friends were planing to go trick or treating by the looks of these comments your putting down Us Teens. NOW I HAVE TO USE THE CAPS ON MY KEY BOARD LISTEN UP. ONLY REASON I WANTED TO GO TRICK OR TREATING BECAUSE CANDY IN STORES ARE TOO EXPENSIVE LIKE IT’S NOW $1.25 FOR A CANDY BAR HELL NO I RATHER GET IT FREE LOL.. WELL I WAS GONNA DRESS UP AS A PIMP OR mICHAEL JACKSON WITH A PRINTED PICTURE OF HIS FACE THAT WILL SCAR KIDS AND HOUSE OWNERS LOL JKZ but ya i agree kids should go first i remember when i was a kid trick or treated ended at 1am NOW OF DAYS ppl are 2 soft now ppl shut lights at 9 or 10 BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! =( maybe i will trick or treat at a apartment building or Diasy Mart lol . If You say TRICK to me or other random teens id just take the bowl lol joking but seriously give us candy folks dont be greedy now lol safe holloween everyone

69. Jay Dee says:

okay it’s now dark in Scarborough whos got facebook here lol im so bored here. i randomly found this link on google.i wonder what would happend if a 50 yr old man goes trick or treating really dressed as a hobbo or somthing. Id give him wisky. Hey know what folks would u give a teen over 19′ ME for example lol alcohal or a shot of vodka that would make me happy then u can save candys for kids thats fare and u can give me a beer or some pot lol

70. Jay Dee says:

it’s now 10:12pm aw great i only got 10 candy’s lol

71. Sara says:

…Wooow, Jay Dee.

The reason I WENT trick-or-treating was so that I DIDN’T end up going to a party where there would be alcohol and pot. :/

72. Steve says:

I think that once you hit High School, its time to hang it up. I am sorry to say, but Trick or Treat is for the little ones, not Teens. I was out walking my youngest around (As she is still within the Trick or Treating age) and I find that Teenagers never use walkways, the always cut across lawns, never leave enough space for others to walk the little ones around on the sidewalks. There is also many cases where, besides pushing and shoving the little ones to get candy, they try to take more than their share. One of my Neighbors was so upset…put a sign on the candy dish, “Take One” and left for a minute because she needed to go to the bathroom…..when she came back…Teens were grabing the entire bowl and putting it in there pillow case.
    I just think that over a certain age, its a nusance…not fun at all.
    Sorry…its cute when the kids come to the door, I do not find it cute when the teens come.
    My opinion may be unpopular, but there it is!

73. Tim says:

I’m 20 and I went trick or treating. I went with some friends and we were an 80’s glam rock band. People always say things like teenagers do things that ruin halloween for others. In all my years of trick or treating I never did anything negative to kids or peoples homes. I think its fun to dress up and tour the neighborhood seeing everyone in their costumes. I will continue trick or treating regardless if you fear me for things I wouldnt even think of doing.