My new mascara

My new mascara

October 28, 2007

hello

Yes, I was woman #2… was there ever a doubt?

While I was in Target Susan called me and we had a long conversation about mascara. Probably too long given that it was mascara and not something actually important. But that is okay, I embrace that this is what my life has become. We also talked about s’mores, sunglasses, and soccer. Does that make me seem more interesting? No, I thought not.

Susan had posted about her ongoing search for a mascara that was a)waterproof, and b) not clumpy. So to help in her quest I bought this:

VOLUMINOUS

I am not thrilled or unthrilled with it. It only cost $5, so my bar is not set too high. I will see how it lasts all day. I have a baseball game, the last one of the season, and then going to Trader Joes, to further my new mission as a tree hugger. Albeit one with shaved armpits, make-up, and bleach. Not to mention tree allergies, so there will be no literal tree hugging.

Comments

1. whoorl says:

I’m really into Cover Girl Lash Exact right now. No clumping, although I haven’t tried the waterproof version.

2. She Likes Purple says:

I have that exact mascara. I’m as you are, not leaning to love or hate.

3. Kate says:

I use the same one, and I love it! No matter how many times I’ve switched to try new ones, I always come back to L’Oreal.

I used to love Voluminous but now I have to wipe the brush with a tissue before I can put it anywhere near my eyes - unless I want to look like Tammy Faye circa 1984 (after a tearful plea for cash). I hear there’s organic mascara on the market, but I’m not sure if I want to put tree bark or whatever on my eyes.

5. Sarah says:

It’s funny, but I thought the mascara label said “Organic” Voluminous. Guess I know what’s been on my mind lately.

6. Lacy says:

That is my favorite mascara. I’ve been using it for years. My second favorite is Almay One Coat mascara. I’ve found that “Target” mascaras work better than “Macy’s” mascaras. My face gets Clinique, my eyes and lips get MAC, but my eyelashes get L’Oreal. Go figure.

7. Karen Vogel says:

Not a mascara girl, but not on principle or anything. The furthest I ever got with the make-up thing was lip gloss in seventh grade. Remember, the strawberry smelling kind?

8. Annie says:

I use that Maybelline in the pink tube….and I’ve tried others…it just seems to do the job. Is Trader Joes really considered a tree hugger’s store on the East Coast? That’s really funny. Believe it or not, the cities of Berkeley and Davis, CA wage battle with putting a TJ’s in their towns…and those are two of the most tree huggingest towns I can think of.

9. genpoco says:

I haven’t purchased mascara in years. I think the last time I wore make-up (eyeliner and lipstick) was a year ago. Sigh. I need a makeover.

Chris, I dreamed you introduced me to Peter O’Toole. He was your uncle or something. I gotta get off the Nyquil soon.

I have found that waterproof mascara just doesnt go on as nicely as regular mascara, a little on the clumpy side. But when I dont wear waterproof, I wake up in the morning look like a racoon or I got in a reallly bad fight! LOL. I love waterproof mascara, but hate how you have to remove it. I havent tried this brand, maybe I will give it a whirl.

11. Beth says:

Like Whoorl, I’m a Lash Exact gal. I can’t vouch for the waterproof variety, but ho!, that little rubbery brush is revolutionary!

The only other mascara I’ve ever loved as much was Estee Lauder but I refuse to spend that kind of money on mascara, because it’s all the same black gunk. It shouldn’t cost $20.

12. kate says:

mascara is a hard thing to find. I use Rimmel I actually like it and it is under $5!

13. Anna says:

*Whistle* Looks good to me. I’m too lazy to put my contacts in, and whenever I wear mascara with my glasses, it gets all over the lenses…very classy, I know.

Also…you’ve probably answered this a million times already…but which Nikon camera do you use? I’m writing my letter to Santa, and I need some help!

14. MamaGeph says:

Don’t know one way or the other about the mascara, but your eyes are gorgeous! :)

15. kalisah says:

I didn’t like that mascara. I thought it was too goopy. Bobbie Brown has a good waterproof.

I will involve the ENTIRE Internet in my search for the Perfect Mascara.

Thank you for your participation. Who’s next?

17. Lindsey says:

I really like L’Oreal Double Extend. There’s a base coat on one end of the tube, the mascara is on the other end. Waterproof mascara tends to be harsher on your lashes and the base coat really helps keep them separated and soft.

18. Kelly says:

I like to spend a little extra on mascara. My favorite is Christian Dior Diorshow but it’s a splurge. I also like L’Oreal lash out though.

19. Wendy says:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I want a Trader Joe’s. All I’ve got is a stinky ole give over all your money Whole Foods.

And I wear Maybelline Lash Stylist. I swear someone needs to listen to me, that comb is the greatest for long lush lashes.

20. Manic Mommy says:

I found it to be flaky (insert joke here) and am now a big fan of Clinque. Really, not that much more expensive than L’Oreal and the like.

21. Bronnie says:

The search for a good mascara is hard work!
    You shouldn’t wear waterproof mascara everyday though, it’s made with tar. Like road tar. Eww.

22. Crystal says:

I wondered if you were Woman # 2 but decided you weren’t since I thought you lived too far out to have gone to Target twice in one day…… It sounded like me, but since I live in a different state I knew it wasn’t me either. :) It’s nice to know someone else is vocal about not liking to cook OR clean, and that’s still o.k.

23. Charlotte says:

It may cost a bit more (and by a bit I mean about four times as much), but shu uemura makes the best mascara ever. Ever. And I second the Diorshow recommendation. Those two plus the old standby of Maybelline Great Lash are the blessed trinity.

I’ve put way too much thought into this.

24. Bryanne says:

I love Maybelline Lash Stylist, and Maybelline Define-a-lash (this is probably just like the Cover Girl Lash Exact). I never get waterproof tho, and you think I would, considering I cry at the drop of a hat.

25. stacie says:

I just feel fancy if I have a tube that isn’t nearly sucked dry. There is always one more use in a tube of mascara.

26. Kristi says:

After many disappointments in the mascara department, I just recently tried Mary Kay’s Ultimate Mascara and will now never use anything else. It does not bill itself as waterproof, which is the only stuff I have ever wanted in the past, but it absolutely doesn’t give you raccoon eyes at the end of the day. Nor does it clump. It separates like no other! I will now use nothing else, EVER. Try it out!

27. Kelly says:

How do you not have wrinkles? That is SO not fair.

28. Kathy says:

I usually use the good ol’ Maybelline Great Lash in the pink tube. But, I hate their waterproof version. Have you heard of that BLINK Kiss Me mascara? I got some at Sephora when my aunt raved about it. Used it all summer, when we were in and out of the water daily. It works great and does not clump up like other waterproofs. It coats your lashes in these weird tube-things. Seriously.

29. Sassy Pants says:

I am in a desperate search for new mascara. In fact, the Voluminous is on my shopping list for this week. Now I’m hesitant.
    A friend recommended BadGal from Sephora but then I have to drive an hour or pay shipping and what if I don’t like it?
    Help ladies!

30. InterstellarLass says:

I just tried a new variety. Rimmel makes a lash extender that contains lycra. My lashes are enhanced, but also are soft and not ‘chunky’ like some mascaras are wont to do. And I think it was around $5?

31. Julie says:

I like CG Volume Exact a lot. Same kind of rubbery brush as Lash Exact but it actually builds volume in your lashes and doesn’t leave them puny like Lash Exact does. Love Diorshow too.

I really like that mascara. I’ve tried others, hoping for better, but that seems to be the best among the inexpensive brands.

33. Jaime says:

Susan-
    Thought I would help so I just posted about my mascara. Good luck in your search.
    Jaime

34. Tami says:

I remove my waterproof mascara very easily and cheaply. Just use baby oil. Works great!

35. Deana says:

I love that mascara……….Been using it ever since I bought some 3 years ago.

36. Susannah says:

You have to try LashWig from Sephora. It’s a magic mascara from Japan. Yes, it’s pricey–$20 or so. But honest to god it’s like a merkin for your eyelashes.