I am about to become unpopular
October 29, 2007
I am about to be kicked out of the tree hugger club. I tried. I really did.
And as hard as it is to say this, I was not impressed with Trader Joe’s. Seriously, what is all the fuss about? The organic section of my local grocery store has a wider selection. There was almost no fresh produce. I was expecting fresh vegetables, people.
When I was in California in 2006 for BlogHer Jenijen brought me to a grocery store that was so wonderful that when the front doors opened a bright light shone down upon us and I heard angels sing. Really. This is what I expected from Trader Joe’s. Maybe my expectations were too high.
I bought lettuce, hermetically sealed in a bag. They sell the same brand at my grocery store. I bought some badly bruised bananas, but they are pesticide free I told myself. Of course they look like crap. I bought two green peppers, but they were wrapped in plastic and styrofoam. I hate that. But that was on my first pass through the store when I thought the good stuff must be around the next corner. Also I drove and hour to get to the store I couldn’t leave without buying anything.
I lapped the entire store three times. Each time thinking I had missed something. A hidden aisle. Or maybe there was a secret door somewhere. In the end I went resignedly to the check-out with the things I mentioned above and at least 30 fruit leathers that the kids threw into the cart.
We left and drove to our local grocery store where I did my real grocery shopping, where a good 75% of what I purchased was organically grown. Including bananas that did not look like they had been stomped upon. The other 25% was made up of things like Apple Jacks, Tostitos, bread, and Curious George fruit snacks. You know, the essentials.
Now I will be sitting over at the unpopular table, luckily my high school years prepared me well.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
The URI to TrackBack this entry is: