It’s That Time of Year

It’s That Time of Year

November 7, 2007

It's that time of year

I am not sure I have recovered from last year yet though…

Comments

1. Carola says:

EXCELLENT, I loved the picture!!

2. tracey says:

So funny you posted this, I’ve just been trying to take a Christmas photo of my children and it’s been an absolute nightmare, and I only have two!

3. Stephanie says:

That’s a great idea! You know they are going to make faces so go ahead and ask them to. At least it’s realistic.

4. Gretchen says:

I say use that one and be done! First, what a great picture, I think it shows their personalities perfectly. That black background is cool. Second, what can be wrong with DONE? LOL But bleh, you’ve reminded me that it’s that time of year again for us, too.

5. Karen Vogel says:

Oh, my goodness, I never realized that it’s one girl with 6 brothers. Wow.

But I don’t know how you got them all to wear matching shirts. Impossible around here. Even if, by some miracle, we started out that way, guaranteed that someone would spill something on one of the shirts before the first photo was taken, thereby necessitating a wardrobe change.

6. Lizzi says:

I’m just impressed with the white shirts!! I can’t get two boys to keep a white shirt clean long enough for a picture — let alone SIX of them! But I do absolutely LOVE the picture!

7. Nicole Gepson says:

This is a wonderful picture! I think it’s refreshing and would be a wonderful one to send out. Not so posed and stuffy. (Not that posed pictures aren’t nice too, just harder.)

8. Char says:

I like the photo! I have three and it was stressful getting a decent shot last year. I have a diva who only cooperates when it’s her idea. I used one of our walls as a background and it wasn’t the best. Holes in the wall, out lets and wires abounding. So how did you get the black background?

9. Kai says:

GREAT photo! I agree it’s much better than a posed one! I love that the little one is plugging his ears!

10. JLow says:

Err, what time of year??

11. Wicked Stepmom says:

I. Love. This.

Somehow in my years of following you (OMG, has it really been YEARS?), I have failed to pick up on whether you take these pictures yourself. Or is it a professional? Honestly, I can’t tell the difference with your awesome photo-taking skillz.

I love the contrasts - the princess surrounded by her brothers, the fancy dress amidst casual white tshirts, all of it offset by the black background. Stunning.

We usually don’t do our pictures this early, but now I’m inspired!

(Thanks for adding me to your Flickr contacts!)

12. Kelly says:

I love that picture!! I think I’m going to have to try the natural posing vs the photographers that always try to get my four kiddos to sit still. One of them is always looking the wrong way or looking down at the baby to tell HIM to look at the camera! Lol!

13. Lilly says:

Perfect photo! Was this taken at the beginning or end of the photo shoot? It’s GREAT!

14. Antique Mommy says:

Love it! I love real photos. Those photos you see of barefoot siblings, wearing matching white shirts and carefully faded blue jeans walking hand-in-hand through a field of bluebonnets makes me want to gag - you know, since life isn’t really like that.

All your kids are so different from one another. I like that.

15. Marie says:

Chris, wonderful photo !

16. Rachel May says:

Your children are amazingly gorgeous. I TOTALLY love this pic and think you should use it for Christmas cards. I don’t even personally know the kids and it makes me laugh out loud…. imagine what your family members will do! :P

17. sleeping mommy says:

But I just love seeing your efforts documented here. Besides, you inspire me to WANT to do the same with my three. I said WANT to. Not that I will.

18. I Should Be Folding Laundry says:

Oh, I love it. What a fun picture!

(I bought my daughter the same dress)

19. kellypuffs says:

perfect.

don’t change a thing.

20. maria says:

Your new template is pretty but I can’t find the ‘newer post’ and ‘older post’ links.

21. Sarcastic Mom says:

You post the BEST pictures! Gah!

22. arduous says:

I think that’s an awesome picture, and seriously, would be perfect for your Christmas card.

23. Karly says:

That is GORGEOUS! You have such beautiful kids!

24. Divrchk says:

This is such a great picture. Go with it!

25. Karen Rani says:

They definitely have personality like their Mama! I love your mad skillz as a photog too - great shot!

26. Ginny says:

I love how only one of the boys is sporting the long hair–they are all so cute, though! And, it really doesn’t look like that many kids when they’re all mushed together like that. I mean, who would you leave out? They’re a matched set!

27. hipwritermama says:

What a great picture! Love the black background, white shirts and your little girl taking center stage. Beautiful.

28. mama's got moxie says:

what a cool pic… i love it. there’s so much personality going on.

29. Melissa says:

You are SO MUCH braver than I am. I briefly thought about doing the same thing last weekend, and came up with every excuse in the book :)

Love the picture!

30. M. says:

Wow — you have done a lot of wonderful photos in your time, but this one takes the cake. You could become a portrait photographer and make money in your spare time!!

31. Kelly says:

I agree with the others who say to use this one, it is so REAL.

The serious look on the boy with glasses cracks me up, like “my siblings are so silly”.

32. Maddy says:

LMAO, you can tell there must have been a lot of noise to go with that shot, take a look at Miles with his fingers in his ears.

Great shot.

33. Henri says:

This one has my vote ~ it just seems so REAL.
    I’d love to get a Christmas card like that, as opposed to the ones that always look so generic.

You take such wonderful photos, and your kids are so beautiful.

34. kate says:

like I said on Flickr this is my favorite time of year at your house. I love christmas picture time. I know you do not but your kids are a riot!

35. Lilly says:

I think I first visited your site around Christmastime a couple of years ago and I loved seeing the sequence of how the little ones would wander away and the bigger ones would get goofy the longer it took. I’d love to see how your shoot progressed this year.

36. She Likes Purple says:

I have SUCH respect for you.

37. Carola says:

I already left a comment, but now that I am looking at the picture again I have to tell you, this is the one! no need to shoot more.

38. gwendomama says:

oh the lusciousness of them! i heart heart heart that picture and you are a damn fool in the snow if you dont use it.
    just sayin.

39. Joy H says:

Perfect!

(I’m a BIG chicken and scheduled an outdoor shoot [got it cheap at our football auction] for this crew)

40. Adelaide says:

Chris, de-lurking here to add my praises for this and all of your other photos. You have an amazing eye for color, form and character.

So what ever happened to the weight training machine in the foyer?

I have a vague memory that you were afraid you were going to have to decorate the machine in lieu of a Christmas tree. Could be handy for Thanksgiving . . . people can hop up from the table and start working off those extra calories ASAP

41. Wendy says:

I say that is a wrap. Perfect Christmas picture. I am sick of those picture perfect cards where everyone is smiling and looking perfect. I say show the world the real you and move on.

42. mary says:

OMG I have been out of town…

I love that time of year!~

Have I told you lately that I love you? haha

Wow! You have GORGEOUS children.