Ridiculous Question of the Day

Ridiculous Question of the Day

November 9, 2007

Today it was a tie.

“Do you remember all of their names?”

“Where do you buy your food– do you have to go to a special store?”

The answers:

“No, I just call them all “Boy” even the girl.”

“They let us in the regular grocery store. We do have to wear the scarlet B (for Breeder) pinned to our coats though.”

Comments

1. Joanne says:

I would have said, oh yes, we have to go to a special store-just to avoid running into people like you.

2. paige says:

But it’s only 9:30?!?!? Holy cow. That’s just SAD.

people are so rude.

please tell me those are the actual answers you gave!!

3. Stephanie says:

Oh Chris! I hope you really did say that!! Oh to have been a fly on the wall if you had… LOL!!

4. Charmed says:

I just love it when people do that to me…and I only have 5! My favorite one has to be…. “That’s what you get for wanting a girl so bad!” I have all boys.

5. jody says:

Oh, Charmed, did someone really say that to you! Tell me who and I will punch out their lights. I have 3 boys, and then a girl, and i get harrassed all the time about
    finally getting that girl” etc as if my boys were not special to me. Errrr.

Chris, how you manage to not actually punch someone is beyond me. Good comebacks.

6. Karen Vogel says:

Actually, I do mix up the names quite a bit, don’t you? And I don’t get the second question at all. I mean, “Huh?”

7. Jenn says:

Last year I was checking my 4 year old son into his class at church. He told the teacher he had three names. I foolishly thought he was talking first, miidle, & last. No, his three names that he happily told her:
    1. Jarrett
    2. JJ, or
    3. Whateveryournameis.

8. LisaB says:

As a mom to triplets, I’ve logged some head shakers as well. My two favorites are, “Who’s the oldest?” (Why?!?) and “Are they identical?” (I have two girls and a boy - Yeah, I think so….)

9. Busy Mom says:

I have no words. Embarrassed to be the same breed as people like that.

10. Lynda says:

I only have two and I can’t get their names right. I just call them “Fred” (neither of them is called Fred) and they know that I’m talking to whoever I’m looking/yelling/throwing things at.

11. sleeping mommy says:

The sad thing is that the first probably thought they were being “funny” I know people with that kind of sense of humor. Sadly, I’m related to a few.

Well thank GOD the people asking the stupid questions aren’t “breeding” much.

13. Not The Mama says:

Ugh, I hate stupid questions. As a nanny who specializes in multiples, I’ve heard just about every stupid twin question under the sun. It amazes me not only what people think, but what they SAY. Some people need to have a mind-mouth filter installed.

14. Elizabeth says:

there are idiots out there and I sure hope they don’t have kids. I guess if you have a large family you can only go to stores with SUPER In front of their name

15. salsaqueen says:

My mom only had 3 and she couldn’t keep our names straight. She’d do the “Su-Ka-Ja” then the name of the one who she wanted. And of course when we were *really* in trouble, it was BOTH of our names, first and middle!

How terribly inventive of you to name all of them boy. Even the girl. That’s what she gets! Kinda like George Forman naming all his boys George.

16. Mara says:

What is WRONG with some people? For heaven’s sake. And to the mom with triplets, the next time someone asks if they’re identical, try pointing to the boy and saying, “No, THAT one has a penis! And these two don’t…”

17. Stephanie says:

‘do you have to go to a special store?’

‘no, did you have to go to a special school?’

18. Joy H says:

You should respond inn the famous words of Jeff Foxworthy “here’s you sign”

19. Joy H says:

GAH, typo ——- “HERE’S YOUR SIGN”

20. arduous says:

I can’t believe that there are people out there who think that is an appropriate way to behave to a stranger. So weird.

21. Valerie says:

Hahaha Stephanie. Those questions are awful. I have five and I usually run through about 3 before I get the right name, sometimes I throw in a dog’s name or two. Why do people always ask, “Are they all yours?”

22. Rocks In My Dryer says:

Really? Is that REALLY how you answered? Because I SO want that to be how you answered…

23. Christine says:

We know a family of 12 (10 boys and 2 girls) and I am always so embrassed that people can ask such rude questions. The mom is always very calm and answers honestly and I try to change the subject to something more sane.

Then again, as a mother of 2 boys I would constantly hear “Don’t you want a girl??” Or “Are you going to try for a girl” as if life is not complete with 2 boys……..

Sigh…….

24. Phoenix says:

I can not believe that people are that rude. Oh wait, you know I do believe it. Special store? WTF?

25. She Likes Purple says:

Oh please tell me is was the same person and there aren’t TWO SEPARATE people that stupid.

26. christine says:

morons

27. MamaLady says:

Again I ask…where do you live that people ask such dumb, pointed questions! When I lived in Connecticut the people didn’t seem so very rude. Maybe times have changed

Joy — It’s Bill Engval ;-)

Chris - today my mom and I were out with my 2 - at lunchtime (we’re homeschoolers) and one of the twentysometings at the next table says under his breath as I walk by “I donno, some kindergartens are halfday…”

And we were in Freindly’s! It’s Kid heaven — and you can bet we were not te only kids in there.

29. Deputy's Wife says:

You know, I like your responses. A lot. I might have to use them sometime. With (only) three boys, I get quite a few sympathetic glances and the occasional stupid question.

The most recent:
    “What do you do with them?”

My reply:
    “Duct tape and a garden hose.”

30. Bronnie says:

oh. my. God. weird people! why do they think you’d treat your children any differently?

i’ve only got two sisters, but we still got “Bron-Al-Mads-whateveryournameis”.

i have a question though, how come we only know Miles’ name? and you don’t disclose the other children’s names?

31. Leanne says:

ahahhahahahahaha! yes, I after the third, I called them all chuck. Chuck 1, chuck 2, etc.

hilarious….

Me again. (Still thinking of this, and still bothered by peoples’ stupidity.)

What bothers me most, I think, is that people feel the need to make sarcastic or rude remarks as if having children is such a burden. My kids are my LIFE — my happiness, my entire reason for living. They bring me joy when no one else can.

I only have two, and every time I see a large, close-knit family, my heart swells and I think how completely BLESSED the parents are to have so many. (And, okay, I feel a slight twinge of envy, too.)

I just don’t GET people. I really don’t.

33. Esme says:

Oh my god, I can’t believe how rude people are to you. That’s crazy…

I had a friend who was one of 12 kids, and she told some rude guy AT CHURCH that her parents “just call us by our last names.” His jaw dropped to the floor…

(I was so naive… It wasn’t until years later that I fully understood that joke.)

34. Chris says:

To clarify, these were two DIFFERENT people and I don’t think they wre trying to be rude or even funny. It’s almost like people blurt out things without thinking about them.

And yes I did answer this way, but in a joking tone of voice that let them know I wasn’t offended but that they were stupid questions.

35. Jackie says:

I love your answers to those questions. I usually just give a half laugh and say I guess or something in agreement. What gets me is when people stand there and count heads. I know how many I have, but I guess it never hurts to have someone else count them to make sure an extra one hasn’t shown up.

36. Julie says:

Oh good grief!! Thanks for making me laugh out loud. People are crazy!!

37. Dawn says:

Do you remember all their names?

1) “Well, see, we thought of that and so we gave them all the same name so it’d be easier. What is it? Hey You. Yeah. So far it’s workin’ out reeeeeeeeeeeeeeel good.”

2) “Ya gotta name ‘em? All of ‘em? Dang! Life sure is gettin’ complicated, ain’t it?”

I have two daughters and when they were young was plagued by idiots asking me when I was going to have “my” boy. As if I could have anyone else’s. The first time was when the oldest was 8 weeks old! I’m standing there with my adorable, healthy, got-all-her-fingers-and-toes, cute as a button, perfect (as they all are) little baby in my arms and this moron asks me when I’m going to have my boy, as if this one was somehow faulty. I said, “Oh, I think this one will do quite nicely for now, don’t you?” and I’m sure the look on my face said it all. And this was family (in-law). I’m bringing my new baby 1,000 kms to meet the family and that’s the only thing she could think to say?

It never ceases to amaze me how comfortable some people are making idiotic comments to strangers. Yes, you are aware you have seven children, having mastered counting some time ago. Yes, you know that isn’t as common as it once was. And yes, since the children are all dressed with their clothing on the right way round AND you can count to seven, chances are you’ve got the brain power to remember their names.

Argh.

38. Debbie says:

We have four kids. And I have heard the line..are they all yours? I want to answer nah, I just found them along the way. dim wits.
    And I also suffer from the first-part-of-the name name, its Ge-Da-Mi and then a frantic point followed by “you-there”…these names are for the boys only. Our daughter is at college and safe from this name-identification issue I have for now.

39. shanna says:

LMAO… thanks for the laugh Chris. I have 7 as well. 6 boys & 1 girl. ;) Some ppl… sigh

40. meritt says:

Remember - George Foreman really DID name them all “George” LOL. I guess that makes it easy to call for them. ;O)

PS: the one I got tired of was “You DO know what that causes that right?” when I had a 4 year old, 2 year old and I was pregnant with the next one.

41. xianfern says:

I have always despised the comment “You have your hands full” by anyone and everyone at the sight of seeing me and my 4 children.. But there is nothing better than running into that certain douche bag that you went to high school with and haven’t seen in 20 years, and there only response to your carriage full of kids is “Tell me those aren’t all YOURS?”
    People suck.

42. Earl says:

My cousin used to get that, in the grocery store line, she usually replied something along the line of, “Oh, these? heck, I left the other six at home……..” Now she didn’t HAVE another six, but she DID like to see the looks on their faces…….

Holy hell. Even *I* know all their names.

Sheesh.

44. Kathy says:

LOL Here’s ones I get: “Did you mean to do that?” (I suppose people ask that because they are so close in age.) “Were you on fertility drugs?” (from complete strangers!) “They look alike, so they must have the same daddy.” Duh. And for my boy/girl twins…”Are they identical?” I even had a nurse in the hospital when they were BORN ask me that one. “Better you than me.” OK!

And homeschooling, we get asked “no school for y’all today?” ALL the time. I always want to ask if it’s any of their business.

45. Kristina says:

I only have three, they’re 7,5, and 2. The other day the pizza delivery guy asked me if they’re all mine. When I said they are, he said to me, “Wow! You’ve been busy.” I didn’t even know what to say in response. When someone comments “You’re busy!”, I agree. But what that guy said implies something very different.

46. Suebob says:

“No, they’ve got kibble right over there in aisle 7.” Thank you, goodnight, remember to tip your cocktail waiters.

47. ShackelMom says:

As a mom to seven, I thought I’d heard them all. “Mormon or Catholic?” No,we just think children are wonderful. “I guess you don’t watch late TV! (Har, har, har!)” We don’t watch any TV. “Don’t you know what’s causing this?” Blank stare until they look embarassed. “How do you do it!? I can hardly manage with my two!!!” (Silently ‘Yes, I can see that…) Aloud, ‘Oh, we take it a day at a time.’ Smile, smile!

I really hated it when they tried to be so sympathetic with my ‘misery.’ I tried to give happy, even chirpy answers no matter how I was feeling at the moment, because I resented them thinking my kids were an awful burden.

48. kathy says:

We’ve been back in the US a few weeks and this hit me pretty hard the other day. We only have 4 but I’d forgotten what it was like being outside the norm. We have absolutely NEVER had a Mexican family utter anything similar and the norm in Mexico is 2 kids. I think I’d been back a little over a week and my first grocery store trip (TJ’s, nach!) brought it all back. The stares. The double takes (there are only 4!!!). The “knowing” looks. And the question. I really was speechless. I should have just started mouthing off in Spanish…

You need to get out of Conneciutiti (how the HELL do you spell that state?) honey. C’mon down to the Caribbean. I’ll bring you a mojito and the girls will play with yours and the boys will snorkel except for itsy Miles who I will simply gobble up. :)

49. The Simple Family says:

I know someone has asked you if you really like one more than the rest. Or if you’re a Nympho.

Are you a nympho? ;)

50. Joy H says:

ah, that’s right — thanks Heather!

51. Mina says:

I have to say that I do the run through the names with my boys, as well. I’ve got 4 kids, 3 boys who are 5, 3, and 2, and an 8 month old girl. I get lots of stupid comments as well, even though my brood isn’t as large! The thing that gets me the most are people asking if they are all mine (I’ve got 3 who have brown hair and brown eyes, and one with blond hair and blue eyes), or then if I say yes, asking if they all have the same father. (Ever heard of genetics, people?)

I get the “You must be really busy” comment all the time, too. I usually just agree with them…but then, what mother ISN’T really busy, no matter how many kids she has?

Oh, and now that I’ve got a girl as my last I get asked all the time if we’re “done”. Um, yeah, we are, but only because we decided BEFORE WE EVEN HAD KIDS that we’d have 4. So, whether she was a girl or another boy it wouldn’t really have mattered. Yes, I’m happy to have a girl, and yes, if we’d had 4 boys I might have been a little sad not to have had a girl, but that wouldn’t have made a difference in how many kids we had!

Oh, and I just wanted to say that your kids are absolutely beautiful…love the attempted holiday pictures. I JUST got a pic of all 4 of my kids together and ALL LOOKING AT THE CAMERA, which was a miracle. Granted, they weren’t all smiling, but who cares? LOL!

52. Rhen (yestheyareallmine) says:

LOLOLOLOL!! I have a page with answers to the “brilliant” questions we get. We are on the opposite end though with only one boy surrounded by sisters.
    Love the pictures! We have to do that but I am not looking forward to trying to get The Terrorist (aka my 2 year old Ms. Independent) to behave and sit still for just a moment. :)

53. Tom says:

Having on more than one occasion been called by all three of my sister’s names before my dad finally worked his way through the list to my (male) name, perhaps the first question might be mere wry acknowledgement.