Pause

Pause

November 12, 2007

At the 11th hour, on the 11th day of the 11th month, we remember*…

I remember as a child that veterans all seemed so old and from wars fought so long ago. It was something from the past. I wish I could say the same things now.

Where I used to see old men I now see boys. Boys not much older than my sons.

Happy Veteran’s Day to all the veterans out there– my husband, my father-in-law, and my step father included.

(except that this year I forgot. The whole Monday off thing threw me for some reason. Well, that and I was too busy ranting about crap made in China.)

Comments

Nicely said. Sweet and simple.

My son, Jack, just figured out that his grandfather is a veteran. He figured this out because the watch his grandfather gave him can tell military time. I didn’t have the heart to tell Jack that you don’t have to be in the military to have a watch that tells military time.

2. Karen Vogel says:

Thanks! It’s important to realize that there are veterans all around us (including myself and my husband). We’re an integral part of society, not a separate arm.

What I remember most about Veterans Day….. (other than it is my oldest daughters birthday so I will never forget that…)

I was in the Army… off of work because hey, Veterans Day is a federal holiday and back in the day Soldiers got Federal Holidays off… (they still do, if they are not deployed)

Anyways, there I was enjoying the sweet sleep knowing that I wouldnt have to get up before the sun to go to work, and really looking forward to that day because I was planning on finishing up some last minute things in the babys room…

When I sat straight up and said, WHAT IN THE HELL IS THAT!

It was approximately 2 am on November 11th when I felt my first contraction. At 4:23 pm she was born. So much for a day off. :)

In the past 9 years, I had been fortunate enough to have had 8 Veterans Days off of work. And every year, on this day, my oldest daughter and I spend the whole day together. And I reflect on all the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines who are not with their families on this day, all the ones who never came back to their families.

I am truly blessed that I did indeed come back to my family.

4. jody says:

We watched Saving Private Ryan last night and i wrote about it this morning…..I was totally oblivious to it being Veterans Day until reading your post.

you are not kidding about them being not much older than our boys…..it sure strikes home.

5. Karen says:

Hi,
    I have no children so I really like living vicariously through your journaling of their antics. I have a comment on your new layout, the new font size (tiny) and faded black color of the type make it VERY hard to read your fun entries. I do not need to wear glasses so I think this might be an issue for your other readers too.
    kp

6. Mishel says:

I never know what to say when people thank me for doing my job. A job that I’m not being told I have to do but a job that I want to do. I say ‘Thank you,’ back and that’s what I’m going to do here. On behalf of myself and my entire family (I come from a Military family and married a Military man, he’s no longer in the service though): thank you back:)

7. I Should Be Folding Laundry says:

Thank you to all veterans, including your family members for their service and sacrifices.

8. OMSH says:

I forgot until I got to church and my husband had a red carnation with a flag pinned on him. Eeeek.

I made up for it later with a Veteran’s Day Session. We expanded our territories.

9. Elena J says:

God bless all those brave men and women who fight for our country, past and present. All of them are truly heroes.

10. Debbie H says:

I had to smile all day long because our eight year old son would remind us to remember the “veternaries” this day. And yes we did and do remember them!

11. halloweenlover says:

This weekend we went to see Lions for Lambs, and it reminded me of how much our soldiers really are boys. It breaks my heart a little bit.

Thanks for the reminder of what’s important today.