Well, what do you know…

Well, what do you know…

November 14, 2007

Well, look at that

A quote from me in this months issue of Parenting magazine. It comes from this post.

Also, I totally forgot my contractually obligated mention of my post over at Parenting yesterday. It was written to my son for his entrance into teendom.

Thirteen years ago you were still inside me. We were still living as one, you completely dependent on me. Our hearts beating together. In truth I was pushing for an hour already, you were a stubborn little thing — that hasn’t changed. But I’ll spare you those details about your freakishly large baby shoulders, tears, stitches, and my vagina. You’re welcome.

Is it Friday yet? Because even though Monday was a holiday this has been a L-O-N-G week, all two days of it so far.

Comments

1. Chris says:

What an awesome piece of writing! Ok, I am in tears.
    Seriously, I enjoyed it thoroughly, Thank you!
    I’m first on Chris’ blog, OMG, sorry, got carried away for a minute.
    Yay! I really am first.

2. becky says:

i saw that in parenting. cool!

yes, it’s been a long week already.

3. Jen says:

I saw that in the magazine a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty cool…I yelled out “I know her!” My kids think I’m nuts. They might be right.

4. Kathy says:

Your Parenting post describes me and my oldest right now perfectly. I would yell for him to come up here and read it, but he’d just roll his eyes. :)

Love it! You’re famous. Can I have your autograph?
    I also liked your post on Parenting. I could have written it myself since the teenager in my house is doing the exact same things as your son. Arrrgghhh!

6. nabbalicious says:

You write the sweetest things, and then you sucker punch me with something hilarious.

7. nabbalicious says:

Oh, and? If you keep getting famouser, I’m going to finally be able to sell that tell-all I’ve been writing, “Dark Secrets of the Big Yellow House”!

8. Amanda says:

Sniff sniff…my oldest will be 14 in Feb and with one on the way the hormones made this one extra teary lol

9. She Likes Purple says:

You’re hilarious.

Also, this week WILL. NOT. END.

10. Kristi says:

That’s a great quote! The whole post had me screaming, “Hell, yeah!”

Congrats.

Yesterday the hours between 3:30 and 8:30 took at least 72 hours to pass. I know I’m always saying I want more hours in the day but could they please be child-less ones?

Nice quote and I’m still too grumpy with my kids to truly appreciate your teenage post. I’ll try again later.

12. Chris says:

nabbalicious,
    THAT would be frightening. Just remember though I gave you the crack dip recipe, that should count for something, right?

13. ashley says:

pretty cool

We have “who can be the quietest” games at my house frequently too. Unfotunately it doesn’t do much but generate arguments over whether someone is being quiet or not.

15. janet says:

chris, they totally get worse before they get better. but just WAIT till that daughter of yours hits hormone hell. teen boys are a walk in the park in comparison.

16. try again says:

Our new fav game is, who can clean up the toys, blankets, books, ect. before I count to 10??? ReadysetGO!

17. Kelly says:

Loved the teen post , my oldest will be 12 this year- fast approaching teendom :( I’m sooo not ready for it yet!
    We’ve also played the “Quiet Game” as we call it. Somehow it always takes 5minutes of yelling and fighting (I’m NOT ready, I didn’t hear you say go, START OVER!) before we can get it started LOL! Once it goes I have a good minute of silence though :)

18. single mom with tiny tot says:

that’s so funny! a couple of weeks ago, for the first and only time, a added a note to the discussion board over at babble. on that same day, i subscribed to their daily email newsletter. the very next day, i got my first emailed newsletter, with myself quoted at the bottom.

very weird.

19. Undomestic Diva says:

Love the quote in Parenting… So true. With three boys ages 4 and under, my kids are literally SUCKING ME DRY in one form or another.

MH

20. The Simple Family says:

I suggested the quiet game yesterday and nobody wanted to play. Losers.

21. Single Parent Wealth says:

Raising an almost 13 yr. old son by myself most of his life has been a challenge but a huge gift all at the same time. Add a mild developmental challenge on top of that and he and I are closer than close. It’s hard for me because I have to give a little push sometimes to get him to separate. Something I know I must do but my entire being wants to do the opposite. I secretly applaud when he defies me but at the same time I have to reprimand him for it.

Your post was beautiful, sad, funny all at once. This baby of mine is growing into an adult. I must continue to train him to leave all while wanting him to stay…

dmarie

22. Blessed Nest says:

That’s great. Did you just happen upon it? Have a great week!

23. Lovebabz says:

Oh My God that quiet game is such FUN! I am so amazed that my kids are so gulliable that they actually love playing it. You crack me up!

24. Victoria says:

okay, yeah, that was one of the longest short weeks ever, no?

25. Shelley says:

As the mother of a 15 year-old girl, a nearly 13 year-old girl, and a five year-old girl, I am caught daily between these two worlds. Sometimes I long for the days when the older two girls thought I knew everything, because I know now that they think I’m not very bright. I can also imagine that they occassionally call me “bitch” behind my back, as I did with my mother. The upside is you can also have meaningful, intelligent conversations with these people (sometimes), as you’re still yelling at your five year-old to quit drawing on the wall. (Honestly, shouldn’t she be over that by now?)

Teens, pre-teens, preschoolers…they are all challenging in their own ways, but I find now that I am much more concerned with my oldest riding in her friend’s car, a friend who is just sixteen and has had her license for all of a few months, than I am about the crayon on the wall. Mr. Clean and his magic eraser can fix the wall. I hope my oldest is telling me the truth when she says that she always wears her seatbelt. There are some dangers there that Mr. Clean cannot fix.