Obligatory Day After Soup

Obligatory Day After Soup

November 23, 2007

Obligatory Day After Soup

And at the risk of looking like a food blog, albeit a food blog from someone who doesn’t actually like to cook.

To be completely honest this was from a bird we made last weekend and I saved the carcass for just this purpose, since I knew that we were going elsewhere for the day. The only thing I love about cold weather is soup.

Comments

1. Karen Vogel says:

Good stuff - and gluten-free!

2. Christy says:

Would I be a bad “homemaker” if I said I have never made day-after soup? I will next year…that looks great!

3. Bronnie says:

yum - i’m a huge winter-soup fan too!

4. M says:

Soup here too…the bird was so big my daughter and I had to break the carcass to fit in the crock pot…but worth the trouble to have soup today…even though it is still warm in the daytime here.

5. jenB says:

Homemade soup is awesome. That picture is yummy. I can near taste it. Perhaps I will roast a chicken since for me thanksgiving was in October. :-)

6. CaliforniaGrammy says:

One of the best parts of Thanksgiving is the leftovers, especially the soup. In my book the pot of soup simmering on the stove puts the finishing touches on the holiday.

7. Carolynn from Western Australia says:

Ok so are you going to put up the Recipe for this soup as it really does look so good in the picture.

Carolynn :-)

8. genpoco says:

I always have intentions of making carcass soup…but invariably the thing sits in the fridge until it re-animates itself and jumps into the garbage can.

9. mama's got moxie says:

saved the carcass… that sounds so gross!!! hahaha… and no, i’m not a vegan. :)

10. Sarah says:

I love me a good winter soup, too. I have a great stew recipe that calles for chunks of beef and a bottle of Guiness. Does it get better than that? It’s always a good night when the windows are steamed from a boiling soup on the stovetop.

11. Geri says:

i love your blog, your awesome sese of humor and writing style… can you please not change? PLEASE!?

It looks great. The majority of turkey left overs will be going into a turkey pot pie tonight but I think the rest I will make a soup tomorrow.

Yum! Soup.
    Last night I made turkey quesadillas. And this morning I made ham omelette’s.
    Oh, and I also had a bagel with cream cheese and my FIL’s famous cranberry sauce. Yum!

14. Kini says:

Looks yummy! I’ll be making some tomorrow!

15. Sarcastic Mom says:

Ha! That’s totally a food blog photo, but just because it’s so lovely.

We haven’t made the soup yet… still gorging on sides because I made a buttload!

Sandwiches next.

Than soup.

Yes, I made a HUGE FREAKIN’ TURK.

We had soup yesterday too. It tasted so good as the snow fell outside.

17. Jamie AZ says:

We didn’t do carcass soup, but we did make this yesterday, using leftover turkey in place of the chicken called for (just in case you have MORE turkey you want to use up):

Mexican 2-Bean Chicken Chili

1 medium zuccini, coarsely chopped ( about 1 1/4 cups)
    1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed (I subbed chili beans for these)
    1 can (15 oz.) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
    1 can (8 3/4 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained (I had frozen corn, so I used it)
    2 cans (14 1/2 oz.) chicken broth
    1 jar (16 oz.) thick and chunky mild salsa
    1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
    3 cups shredded/diced cooked chicken
    1 garlic clove, pressed
    1 1/2-2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, crushed corn or tortilla chips, sliced green onions, fresh cilantro

Combine all ingredients except for toppings in large pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

18. meritt says:

LOL… NO SOUP HERE!!!!

I did Chicken Ranch Pizza… only used turkey of course. I would tell you the recipe is on blog post from yesterday except it has wheat… and dairy… and all the other stuff that would make you swell up like a big fat balloon.

But - it’s there if you want to make it for the kiddos and husband! It’s yummy - Just don’t snitch any and go into shock and blame me!

19. Amy says:

love your blog- and your other one too- love the toy ideas. just wanted to tell you that the picture of this soup caused me to get up off my rear and make it for my family for saturday’s lunch- thank you!