Forget About Research, Baking is What is Important

Forget About Research, Baking is What is Important

November 28, 2007

the ingredients

See my pink package of corn starch? Up in the corner it says “Bake for the Cure.” Who knew that was what it would take to cure breast cancer? Baking in my own home.

I wonder if cooking on the stovetop counts too. Or is it just baking.

Comments

1. The Pumkin Patch says:

The spaghetti I cooked tonight had the same thing on it! Nice to know we can all do something!

2. Karen Vogel says:

I’ll have to get right back in the kitchen and whip up some more cookies. I’m nothing if not a team player.

3. Karly says:

Just to be safe, you better stick to the baking. No stove top cooking.

4. coloradomommy says:

I love the yogurt tops they expect us to send in for them to make a donation. Really? We have to wash them, go to the post office and mail them? Really? They can’t just write a damn check and tell us all about it?

5. Cheryl says:

Wow Chris - I don’t even know what to say.
    I am an almost-5 year breast cancer survivor.
    I have come to really dislike pink in any shape or form - and the pink packaging on products such as you and the other commenters have really irritates me.
    As one who went through some really tough treatments to beat my cancer, I just don’t see how buying and using these products can really make a difference. The money that is donated by the manufacturers is never revealed to us consumers. Seeing this pink everywhere is also a constant reminder of what I went through, and what others are struggling with right now.
    It is also kind of frustrating knowing that there are so many other types of cancers - prostate, lung, ovarian - just to name a few, that don’t have special colors, or months devoted to them, or special packaging promotions to “help them find a cure”.
    Sorry for the rant! Taking my cancer journey has truly turned out to be a blessing for me - I now really try to see the good in everything and everyone. But - this pink packaging really makes me crazy!!

6. kelly says:

As a 7.5 year breast cancer warrior, I don’t mind all the pink stuff. I can’t help it I got a cancer with a cute pink ribbon and a special month attached to it.

Like Cheryl, I have been thru some pretty tough treatments, surgeries, tests, and procedures. Next monday I will have my 27th chemo treatment. I am struggling right now, literally fighting for my life…again.

Seeing pink doesn’t remind me of what I’m going through or irritate me. Looking in the mirror reminds me. No longer being able to do the things I want to do frustrates me. Being thrown into menopause way too early irritates me. Watching too many young, beautiful women die makes me crazy.

Unlike Cheryl though, I DO know what to say…please get to baking up that cure, some of us are running out of time!

7. t in h says:

A thought-provoking article shedding light on how companies are using the pink campaign to flog their goods and the hypocrisy inherent in the practice (such as make-up companies whose products contain cancer-causing ingredients and then slap a pink ribbon on it and claim to support cancer research).

If these companies really gave a damn, they’d first examine their own products, then they’d donate to research without exploiting cancer causes to hawk their goods.

8. Ruth H says:

Chris, corn starch is often used for thickening on the stove top.

For Cheryl, there is a color, teal, for ovarian cancer, it just isn’t used often enough. It certainly needs a lot more publicity and research. It is often not diagnosed until it is too late. It mimics the bloating and naggy abdomen problems we think are related to bladder infections, IBD, and other more common problems. I have a beloved niece who is an ovarian cancer patient. She is an ob/gyn nurse who didn’t realize her symptoms till she was in an advanced stage. She has been living for 4 1/2 years with chemo most of the time. Pray for her and spread the word to every woman you know to be aware of ovarian cancer. If you or anyone you know has these symptoms insist that your doctor do a CA125 blood test. Go to this site to see the ribbon and get more information. http://www.ovariancancer.org/

9. julie says:

Coloradomommy - yuck, I hear you on those lids! All I can think is there is someone whose JOB is to open those envelopes and wonder “did someone WASH this lid, or just lick it off?” and you KNOW a lot of people just licked it clean…and probably not all that clean really so there’s bound to be some nasty old yogurt funk.

If I were to send mine, it would surely make a bigger donation to the postal industry than the cancer research. My husband works in cancer research (and gets paid pennies, incidentally) and so rather than donating to cancer research, he just works really hard. It works for us, but it is disturbing how pervasive the “buy for the cure, bake for the cure, shop for the cure, wear boots for the cure…” has become.

10. kelly says:

In the breast cancer world, there is a faction of women who are upset over all of the pink and how they think our disease is being capitalized upon by large corporations. October is a torturous month for them, they despise it. Like t in h mentioned, thinkbeforeyoupink.org is a good way to educate yourself about these businesses and their pink products.

There are others of us who are glad for any attention breast cancer (or any cancer for that matter) gets if it gets us one step closer to a cure, and more importantly if seeing something pink reminds even ONE person to do their self exam or get their mammogram.

I choose to focus on getting rid of this disease for all women and future women. Bringing attention to it seems to be an okay place to start. Whatever it takes.

11. Earl says:

Sorry, on a light note, I have http://thepioneerwomancooks.com/ JUST above you in my addresses and when this popped up, I thought I was on HER blog, I kept looking for what we were going to be cooking……

12. Jen W says:

Kudos to you for buying a product whose company will donate any amount of money to cancer research. My thought is that every little bit helps.

On a lighter note, what are you making here? I’m guessing rice pudding, and if so, thank you for not putting raisins in it. Raisins creep me out.

Happy and Healthy Eating to you!

13. fidget says:

my pizza crust the other day was made with teh same brand and box color of corn starch. it gave me a brief warm fuzzy as breast caner has so deeply touched out lives - The hubster lost his mom at 4 to breast cancer and now his step mom is battling with it.

Cool! BTW Wal-mart has grape juice that is glutton free. It is the Great Value brand and it is pretty tasty.

15. dawn says:

Probably JUST bakins since supposedly, baking something requires love and affection. Cooking is mostly for survival. Or is that microwaving?

Cook for the Cure sounds catchier though.

Thanks for the laugh! :)

16. Ani says:

Rice pudding and bacon.

Can I come over?

17. Lori says:

At least you’re doing your part. I can just imagine you cooking the cure and you run off to grab the phone, but by the time you return, it has been eaten. Oh. And in this scenario, you didn’t write down the recipe.

18. Wyliekat says:

I tend to espouse the more direct route - eating for the cure. Bake sales for the cure provide very good opportunities to do just that.

What can I say? It’s all for a good cause.

*scarfs down another brownie. For the CURE.*

19. Girlymom4 says:

Can I feel less guilty eating the cookies I bake, knowing it is all for a good cause?

20. Gretchen says:

All that pink annoys me. I can’t really say more without sounding snarky, which I don’t mean to be. I also would like to see some other color ribbons out there. What is the color for endometrial cancer?

21. Ginny says:

I wish all my food was ‘glutton free.’

22. Kelly says:

Peach is the color for endometrial cancer.

Don’t burn the cure!!!

23. daring one says:

I think you should microwave something for the cure just to see if it works.