This Little Piggy Became Bacon

This Little Piggy Became Bacon

November 28, 2007

So, the pig we bought has been put to rest. (How is that for a euphemism) We received the phone call last night.

Apparently I need to go down to the farm or wherever he is being kept, look at some chart, and decide what cuts I would like.

Completely unnecessary, I plan on just asking for it all in bacon. 200 lbs of bacon.

Comments

1. janssen says:

Meat is Murder! But bacon makes it worth it.

I would ask for it all in bacon too.

2. Jamie AZ says:

Mmm… bacon! Pork tenderloin is good, too. Maybe some sausage for breakfast?

3. Kini says:

We got ours in pretty much all the different cuts. I personally don’t like ham much, but the rest of the beings in the house do. I love the tenderloin and the chops and ribs are actually quite good…

but the bacon… you could NEVER buy it at the store and have it be as good! :) mmmmmmm.

4. Mir says:

You’ll need some ham, yes. And a tenderloin is always a crowd-pleaser that requires almost no work. And ribs? Gotta have ribs.

But yes, mostly bacon. Deeeeeeelicious bacon.

5. I Should Be Folding Laundry says:

I’m coming over.

6. Chris says:

Tasty, tasty murder.

7. Carolynn from Western Australia says:

Doesn’t that depend on what type of pig it is you have bought Chris. As far as I know there are 2 types of pig, a Bacon Pig and a Pork pig, and no I’m not trying to pull your leg at all.

Good Luck and Enjoy :-)

Love Carolynn xx :-)

8. Christy says:

In the words of Homer Simpson, “mmmmm….Bacon.”

9. Lisa Lisa says:

My great-grandparents lived on a farm, which my sister and I went to visit frequently. They always had all kinds of animals dogs, cats, ducks, geese, horses. One visit over there we saw a baby pig. I never remembered them having a pig before. My sister and I played with him, named him and took care of him (we tried to put him to bed and lay a blanket over him). Every time my Grandma would see us playing with the pig she would yell out to us “Don’t get to attached to him!” We didn’t know what she meant. The following spring we went over there, my sister and I ran out to the back to go say “Hi!” to “Wilber”, but he wasn’t in the pin. “Grandma, Where’s Wilber?” I asked. “Oh Wilbur?!?! He’s in the freezer.” Yikes!!! It must not have traumatized me too much, I still eat Bacon :o)

10. Rebecca says:

Weren’t you once vegan? That cracks me up. . . it’s the proverbial person who’s vegetarian except for bacon.

Oh gawd yes, bacon. Peppered thick cut bacon is my fave.

12. jennifer says:

I have 7 kids as well just wondering how long will 200 lbs.. of bacon last you? me less than a month :)

13. Chris says:

I was vegan years and years ago. Holy crap it was 20 years ago! How did I get so old? But I was a vegetarian for many years after that. The past 10 years, I eat meat. Mmmmm, meat.

14. Mish says:

When I told this to my husband, his first response was, “Is she married?” Then he paused and said, “Oh yeah, she is.” Another looooong pause. “Oh yeah, I am too.”

Such is the power of bacon. Maybe that’s what I should get him for Christmas. 200 pounds of bacon!

15. Kelli says:

Homer: “Butter your bacon, boy!”

Bart: “But my heart hurts!”

We rarely watch the Simpsons, but we caught this one. Every time we have bacon and most every time we have sausage, my hubby makes this crack.

16. Kristabella says:

Well, it doesn’t get any better than Bacon.

And that would never, ever be too much Bacon.

17. MandyMom says:

*Drool* baaaacon. But, a spiral cut ham would be delicious for Christmas!

18. Karen Vogel says:

Now I’m hungry. Gotta go find an all-night diner.

19. Lauren says:

Ummm…not to be a bacon mellow harsher, but don’t you have to DO something to bacon to make it be bacon and not just another hunk of pig? Like smoke it or something????

20. anne nahm says:

Mmm…. Bacon. If we are ever in some kind of survival situation where people have to eat other people just to make it through the night? You know, frozen airplane/desert island/can’t find your way out of Target? And you are going to eat me? I think 70% of my ass is made of bacon by-product.

And that percentage is not even including me squealing like a piglet when someone slaps me on it.

21. debby says:

My 17 year old dd is vegetarian with vegan leanings. DH and I eat mostly the way she does, but we add bacon and cheese to everything. I vote for bacon.

22. Deputy's Wife says:

My grandma has ate bacon every day, sometimes twice a day almost every day of her life. She will be 100 in February.

She just went to the nursing home four months ago. They won’t serve her bacon every day. She has not been in good health for a couple of months now. She swears it is the lack of bacon. Seriously.

23. heather says:

Another Simpsons conversation:
    Homer: Are you saying you’re never going to eat any animal again? What about bacon?
    Lisa: No.
    Homer: Ham?
    Lisa: No.
    Homer: Pork chops?
    Lisa: Dad, those all come from the same animal.
    Homer: Heh heh heh. Ooh, yeah, right, Lisa. A wonderful, magical animal.

Magical animal indeed!

24. Julie says:

In the words of Eric Foreman: Bake ON. 200 1bs. of bacon. You made Diet Sprite come out of my nose. Warn me next time, will ya? (it wouldn’t last 5 minutes in my house - when I make bacon, every time I turn to put more from the pan to the plate - the freakin plate is empty!)

25. Lori says:

Will you let me join your family if you make it into 200 lbs of bacon?

26. Wendy says:

You went down picked out your LIVE pig and then they called you to tell you that he had, ahem, passed. Now, you have to decided how to have him chopped up. Interesting, but I like the 200lbs of bacon idea.

THE CHART! After ten years of living in Italy, I know that chart by heart. They have it up behind every single butcher’s counter and in every single supermarket. I have to order my meat by reference to the part of the body it comes from and I have no idea what any of those cuts are called in English.

28. Kat says:

All I can picture in my head is 200 packages of bacon. I bet they don’t give it to you that way though, huh? 200 POUNDS of bacon. Wow!

You had me at bacon…

Seriously it is the pig’s most noble gift to the world.

30. Ani says:

Color me confused. If you buy a whole pig…don’t you get a little bit of everything?

Or do they combine orders and let people swap out. Pig swap. I like the sound of that!

31. Chris says:

Ani,

I really have NO idea at all how it works.

Wendy,
    I didn’t go see the live pig. I like to ignore that whole part of the animal once being alive and pretend it just sprang forth wrapped in white butcher paper.

32. erin says:

Now I am totally craving bacon! Will have to come up with a bacon-centric dinner…

33. Nancy says:

I know Alton Brown has a chart of beef cuts on his website, or his food network site, so maybe he has pork too.

Must. Get. Bacon.

34. mama's got moxie says:

i don’t know if i should be sad for the lil’ piggy or happy you all have lots of bacon!! hahaha…

35. MamaLady says:

I once read that 90% of vegetarians say they miss bacon. I think the other 10% are lying.
    Try to make some that bacon thick cut with cracked pepper. THE best bacon ever!

36. Victoria says:

Dreamy.

dddddreamy

37. Mark says:

How to make your own, thick cut bacon.