Holiday Tradition #1 out of 876

Holiday Tradition #1 out of 876

December 1, 2007

Traditions

Comments

Can you share some information about that entertainment center and where it came from? We need a new one and I haven’t found one I like yet, but yours looks nice.

2. Karen Vogel says:

Oh, yes! Time to get out all the Christmas movies! That’s my favorite part. We always save the Grinch for Christmas Eve, though.

3. OMSH says:

RUDOLPH?

4. amy says:

That is SO Frosty the Snowman!

5. Julie Stiles Mills says:

My favorite is 24 hours of The Christmas Story on Christmas eve. Wrapping presents with Ralphie and his family at 2:00 a.m. Good times. Good times.

6. Staci says:

That is so funny that Julie mentioned The Christmas Story. My husband tries to get through every year without even catching a glimpse of that movie and has yet to accomplish it. The kids and I do our best to make sure we trick him into it.

We have lots of traditions it seems like too…but we now save The Polar Express for Christmas Eve. There is just something so magical about that movie…

7. Christy says:

We did the same thing with Charlie Brown Christmas the other night….

8. Alissa says:

is it weird that i watched the polar express all by myself last night? the kids were in bed… and it was on…

9. carrie says:

I love Frosty!

10. Chris says:

Katie,

It is IKEA. Even the baskets.

OMSH…It’s FROSTY! He was crying about something or other.

11. Victoria says:

oh poor poor sad Frosty : (

12. genpoco says:

The number of times we’ve rented Elf and A Christmas Story I could have bought 10 copies each. I think I should break down and purchase the classics. Poor Frosty…that greenhouse scene made me cry up until about last year.

13. dynamitt says:

ikea rocks! we have the same entertainment center, And pretty much the rest of our flat is from ikea too..

14. Ruth H says:

When The Christmas Story first came out we saw it and loved it. Every time I asked my husband what he wanted for Christmas that year, he said “A Red Ryder BB gun.” As it happened that year they had an anniversary edition of Red Ryder BB guns, so of course, that is what he got. He still has it and finds it handy to scare the squirrels away from the bird feeders. He hasn’t hit one yet, I think he would be appalled if he did!

But I have not had children around at Christmas enough to recognize the picture on your TV! I’m sure my kids and grandchildren would, though. I can just see the glazed eyes of your kids as they watch.

15. Lizzy in the Burbs says:

Oh, yes! Happened to turn the tv on the other night and there was some sort of Charlie Brown Christmas show on, but it was definitely not the one we all grew up with, it was strange! Sally had greenish colored hair and Lucy was extremely hip, not the cranky know-it-all we all came to love. Charles Schultz must be turning circles in his grave as we speak! :)

16. pickel says:

Polar Express is my son’s favorite and I could watch it with him every time. “you got it! Hot Chocolate!”

We just rented Santa Clause for the first time and he was enchanted.

17. Elizabeth says:

genpoco - Target had a DVD that included Elf AND A Christmas Story, and one or two others. Sounds like your kind of deal!

Our family usually watches White Christmas and if we’re really in the old movie mood we throw in Singin’ in the Rain, even though it’s not Christmas-y. The older girls like Little Women (with Susan Sarandon and Winona Ryder) and the adult girls like Love Actually!

18. judi says:

elf reigns supreme in our house.

19. Cary says:

We have already watched the new Shrek Christmas like 20 times now. I Love Puss in Boots’ part. I am pretty sure it is already a classic in this house.

20. Rebecca says:

Traditons, to me, are one of the most important things we can leave our children. There is always the challenge of finding enough time to invest, but especially during the Holiday season, when we are at our busiest, I think we need to invest more in our kids than in our shopping.

I love the video clip from Tim Kimmel, on atmosphere in the home…which I’d love to share with all of you during a time that we are focused on tradition.

Hope you love this as much as I do!

Rebecca

21. Deborah says:

We love the old movies as well. Both the traditional cartoon ones and the older movie ones. Elizabeth, if you like White Christmas, you might also like Holiday Inn (1942). We own them both. :) And, a lesser known movie: The Bishop’s Wife is a tradition with us each Christmas season.

22. Girlymom4 says:

Gotta love Frosty!! He looks sad, poor guy. We have to watch this movie every year too.

23. Dione says:

Okay. I’m sad to say that I had not even thought about starting holiday traditions with my girls (seven and one). I suppose because we really didn’t have any in my family. But, now I am inspired. I LOVE the idea of wrapping up and choosing a book each day… Gotta get started - only 18 days left!