Interrupting your blog reading for a small rant

Interrupting your blog reading for a small rant

December 4, 2007

Last night I tivo’d Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer for the children. After lunch today when we realized that 24 degrees is not conducive to a snowball fight because your tears freeze in your eyeballs when you get hit in the face with snow, I suggested we sit down and watch it. It is my favorite of all the Christmas specials.

Can I just say…What the Hell??? Who thought it was a good idea to remake Rudolph? Rudolph who wants a nose job and asks why Santa can’t use headlights instead? Santa’s workshop is robbed? Toy Taker? And let’s not mention the bad music.

Burl Ives must be rolling over in his grave. Assuming that he is dead or else 140 years old.

The real Rudolph is coming on tonight at 8pm. I am setting my tivo up right now.

Carry on.

Comments

1. Jessica @ A Bushel and a Peck says:

Rudolph is my favorite too–I had NO IDEA that it had been remade, but that is ridiculous. We will be watching the real one at our house, no crappy remakes.

2. Jenn says:

There are times for a good remake…father of the bride…parent trap…where the new is still good. Rudolph is not one of those times! We’ll be TiVoing the real one tonight! Love your photography!

3. Crystal D says:

Uh-oh, I skipped tonight’s recording. I better go switch it back. I am glad I caught your rant.

4. My Buddy Mimi says:

The exact same thing happened to us. I love the DVR search feature though, allowing me to find the “real” Rudolph.

5. Karen Vogel says:

I had no idea that there was a remake. Why mess with something like that, anyway? The only thing I miss when I watch our VCR tape of Rudolph are the Norelco commercials I remember from my childhood, with creatures sledding on Norelco electric razors down snow-covered hills….

6. Nicole Gepson says:

I hate all these really stupid new Christmas specials they show. They’re just ruining the ones we grew up with.

7. Chris says:

Nicole,

Yes they are! And I stomp my old lady cane right along side you.

8. MominCA says:

Aww… I like the Toy Taker one. My boys love both the original Rudolph and the Toy Taker movie. I don’t think it’s meant to be a remake. It’s just a continuation of the story. As my oldest says it’s Part 2 of Rudolph.

And yes his nose came in handy but it’s still hard to be different and I can see how he could still want to be ‘normal’.

9. Suzanne says:

Remakes almost always stink… but come to think of it, I realized (while watching Rudolph LAST year) that Santa is pretty rude and crusty to poor Rudolph. What happend to him being a “jolly old elf”? The Rudolph movie makes him out to be just kind of a mean, fat guy.

10. Shannon says:

That’s exactly what happened at our house. I deleted it from Tivo, but now I’m curious whether they kept Santa’s mean disposition from the original.

11. Lisa Lisa says:

I think if you’re going to remake a classic it should be worth watching. Some of the remakes (not just Christmas movies) are REALLY bad! Sorry you and your children had to watch that horrible movie.

A good Christmas remake for me was The Grinch Who Stole Christmas with Jim Carey.

12. Wicked Stepmom says:

OH THANK GOD I CAME HERE.

I was so upset b/c I forgot totally spaced that Rudolph was on last night… good to know I didn’t miss the *real* one.

*whew!*

13. meritt says:

Back when Coffeehusband and I were first married, were newlywed teens and dirt poor, one of the ‘big’ purchases we made was the vhs tapes of Rudolph, Year Without a Santa Claus, Frosty and ? (one more but my mind is drawing a blank right now). Since then we have watched ‘our’ copies with the children every year and I am now happy (more than happy) I’ve kept my head, and the heads of my children in the sand. I had NO idea they redid Rudolph, and the description you just gave pissed me off a little.

I’ll be firing up the old vcr player again this year…. smile.

14. Antique Mommy says:

I sorta did the same thing last night. I got my 4YO so excited that we were going to watch Rudolph after dinner. Unfortunately, I read the TV schedule wrong, and because yesterday was not the 4th but the 3rd. Disappointment, wailing, gnashing of teeth ensued and then finally pouting. And that was just me.

15. Julie Stiles Mills says:

meritt,

Santa Claus is Coming to Town? With Burgermeister Meisterburger? And young Santa with red hair? And, my favorite, the wizard, Winter who puts one foot in front of the other?

16. All Adither says:

Have you tried watching the original Rudolph with small children?

You see it in a totally different way.

i.e. It’s scary.

17. genpoco says:

Being cable/satellite-less, relying soley on DVD’s I had no idea they remade it either! WHY do they feel the need to do that?

18. liv says:

another thank you from a commenter — i just went and DVR’d the real one (missed 5 minutes… not too bad) and everything else that’s on over the next week or two. thanks! :)

19. Lovebabz says:

I have not see it or knew of it. We are watching the Burl Ives version. It’s like the Rosalind Russell (better)version of “Auntie Mame” as opposed to the Lucille Ball version.

We’ve been watching the original around here for about a week and I was actually shocked at how rude Santa was. I love the movie but had forgotten about how mean everyone was to poor Rudolph. Yes, I know. They’re supposed to be mean.

The remake sounds terrible!

21. Jen says:

We too were disgusted with “Rudolph 2″ from the Netflix disc we got in. I thought I had ordered up the real Rudolph, but we got the evil universe one instead. I thought I was going to stab an ice pick in my head while the toy-taker was singing his little ditty towards the end. Even the snowman bewildered me.

22. Sue says:

I love original Rudolph, but agree that it’s scary for some little littles. My girls were terrified of the snow monster - had bad dreams about it for weeks. Of course they have bad dreams about, well, everything that isn’t pink and princessy, so that’s not saying much, but still…

23. Rocks In My Dryer says:

I Tivo’d Rudolph, but the darn cable company messed up and played Frosty instead. I like Frosty, but he’s no Rudolph.

24. Gretchen says:

I hadn’t heard about the “new” Rudolph. I’ve always wondered why Santa is so mean in the original, it seemed out of character for him; but I liked the movie anyway. BTW the movie with Snow Miser and Heat Miser is “The Year Without a Santa Claus,” my all-time favorite; Santa Claus is Coming to Town is a different one.

25. Jamie says:

We sat down to watch Charlie Brown Christmas the other night and the local news investigative team decided to air a special on Islamic terrorists in Georgia. I guess nothing says Christmas more than Jihad and infidels.

26. Debbie3 says:

Frosty is my personal fav and there are something like eight million crappy Frosty follow-ups. I can and frequently still do sing the entire tune, much to the embarrassment of my family. (Real one Friday night at 8…if you’re interested.) But I do have a soft spot for dentist-wannabee Hermey. Is he in the new one?

27. Earl says:

I saw the remake (least I “think” it was this version) advertised, but they implied that it was mainly just digitally remastered……..

28. The Simple Family says:

Please tell me there was a special appearance by Jessica Simpson.

29. mama's got moxie says:

ha!! that’s hilarious… rudolph wants a nose job?? oh, the insanity of it all!! :)

I didn’t know about the remake. I DVR’s what I thought was the original. I better check to be sure before we try to watch it.

31. Karate Mom says:

If you think that’s bad, you should watch “Frosty Returns”. It’s the most ridiculous piece of PC drivel ever to hit the airwaves! Frosty doesn’t even have a pipe!!
    Boo! Hiss!
    I like the good ‘ol originals!

32. Gretchen says:

Oops, have to retract that; how could I have forgotten Keenan Wynn as the Winter Warlock? Apologies to Julie!

33. lotus07 says:

There is no more talent left in the entertainment industry. Everything is a re-make these days. That is all they do anymore, re-make someone else’s good idea, and thereby dilute the process.

34. jenB says:

I am appalled both for myself, but more for you, since I did not see it. Ugh.

35. Nicole says:

Uh oh, I hope I taped the right one. Rudolph is all screwed up in our DVD set so I set it up to tape, now I’m afraid to check which one I recorded. Enjoy the real one :)