Baby, It’s Cold Outside

Baby, It’s Cold Outside

December 6, 2007

Looking Out

Comments

Brrrr!

2. Not The Mama says:

Gorgeous shot! It makes me want to curl up in front of a fireplace with a blanket and a good book. I hope your wood-burning stove is working!

3. Dan says:

Beautiful

4. NSB Mom says:

Reminds me of where I grew up! Gorgeous…but cold.

5. The Simple Family says:

Trade you.

6. Mom101 says:

One of my favorite pictures of Thalia is her staring out the window on a day just like that when she was about 7 months old. Thanks for the memory.

7. Suzanne says:

Great picture! Hurry and watermark it, though. Stupid picture stealers…

8. Louise says:

You take really lovely pictures. I am green with envy!

9. Allison says:

I had to pull up Flickr to see what camera you use! Nikon, natch.

Just bought a Canon S5 IS (ie, one step below SLR), since I love photography, but I’m simply not THAT good. :) Love the photo — it makes me crave a steaming mug of hot cocoa with melted mini marshmallows!

10. CaliforniaGrammy says:

I’m always jealous of you folks who have the winter season, at least for a moment. We do get snow, however it only lasts a couple of days. Beautiful picture, love the deep orange of his shirt . . . such a warm color against the cold colors of the outdoors.

11. nabbalicious says:

This is SO cute!

12. All Adither says:

Oh, lucky, lucky you!

13. Victoria says:

I’m so jealous of your snow and this is a lovely photo! : )

14. Ashley says:

I am a little jealous. If it’s going to be freezing, there should be snow to make everything look pretty. Here I am in Southeast Alaska, it’s about 8 degrees outside, and we don’t have a single flake of snow on the ground. I can’t do a brown/grey Christmas!

15. Lin says:

What a great picture!

We had a snowless Christmas last year, and it was almost depressing how dark it gets outside without the snow. This year it started out great, but now it’s melting again. I really hope we get some more snow before Christmas.

16. laura says:

what a great shot!

17. Carolynn from Western Australia says:

WOW What a wonderful shot

Carolynn :-)

18. Kellie says:

Another great Photo ~

Quick question for you about the Nikon…D40, correct? I am on the fence between that and the rebel SLR.
    I have read that the AF (auto focus) feature is not that great on the Nikon and I quote..”not a great camera for a soccer Mom”…what I took to mean that many an action shot, (football, baseball, soccer and riding) would be missed by the time the AF did it’s job…and since that would be 80% of what I would be using it for I was wondering what your thoughts were on this…I recall reading you also were in for the extra lens, the 200? how is the zoom there? how about an action shot from far away zoomed…can you share with me?

19. Wastin' Away says:

Gorgeous photo! I am jealous of your snow!

20. Barb Cooper says:

Another really terrific picture–it tells a whole story! Did you touch it up in Photoshop to make the shirt so vibrant?

For Kellie: I just bought the Canon XTi and I love it best for outside action shots. I am not the caliber of photographer that Chris is, though. I had the Digital Rebel and went with another Canon because of the lenses I already owned. I’ve been really happy with it –even with my limited ability.

Chris, I’d love to know how you would shoot an indoor shot (say a recital or something) under flourescent lights. Tis the season and my pictures are all sucking wind bigtime.

I really enjoy your photography. You’re very talented.

Barb

21. Andi says:

Chris,

another simply fantastic shot, the blend of the weather outdoors and the quieter contemplation inside. Beautifully composed– plus, he just looks so adorably deep in thought!

Kellie,

What Rebel are you thinking of? The EOS Rebel that was released back in 2003? They’ve come quite a ways since then– if you want something with the responsiveness of a semipro camera without the matching price, I’d push the XT. It’s comparatively lightweight, so a great choice for lugging around to sporting matches and such, but also highly responsive– minimal lag time, super fast startup, etc. The downside is that it doesn’t have a spot metre, but that doesn’t affect most casual photographers unduly (also, I know some people don’t care for the lens it comes with, but that’s replaced easily enough).

The Nikon is, objectively speaking, an excellent choice too (I am such a Canon girl, though, so it breaks my heart to admit it! My friend is a Nikon fan and there have been Debates). From what my friend has said in the past, I’d say the D40 and the D40x are excellent first-time SLR cameras, but if you’ve got some experience you might want to bump it up to the D80. The real downside to the D40/x is, as you mentioned, it has been known to be slow to focus (this isn’t universal, it’s just a “sometimes” thing, but for people who want to be certain to capture the perfect shot, it can be a deal breaker) and some people mind that you only get basic JPEG compression, and have to buy additional RAW editing software.

/ramble

22. Carolynn from Western Australia says:

To Kellie, with the question about autofocus,, yes you will miss shots while the camera is getting it’s act together, however if it has the option for manual focus there should be no problem. I have a Lumix (Panasonic) FZ 20 which has both features, this is a 6 megapixel camera with a by 12 zoom on it and never lets me down.

Chris, hope you don’t mind me putting in my 2 cents worth here.

Take Care everyone
    Love Carolynn :-)

23. Jeanne says:

Another late response from me…….

Is that Miles?? Because it looks like one of the older elves.