Decorating the tree

Decorating the tree

December 10, 2007

decorating the tree

DSC_00951

DSC_01011

Like I told Susan today, it looks like Christmas threw up on my tree. And I don’t mean that in a bad way.

Comments

1. Heather's Garden says:

How do you get the tree and kids to photograph so well in low light and with the tree lit? Do I covet your camera, your talent, or both? Those photos make my husband and I putting the decorations on our mini-tree without the kids even more depressing. I am not going to be a happy empty-nester!

2. Catherine says:

I too covet your talent. Your camera too, if it fit in my pocket. I found that the camera that doesn’t fit in my pocket doesn’t go anywhere. And funny how kids do cute stuff away from home. Maybe I can mind-meld your talent? Or absorb it by being in close contact like the people on Heroes? Don’t tell me that’s not real.

3. All Adither says:

Oh, you have a pretty, artsy tree. We have a lopsided Douglas Fir.

4. Angella says:

Sweet, sweet photos :)

5. Lilly says:

That is beautiful. I love their concentration and the warm light inside against the blue cold light outside. (…and I too would like photo tips on how you were able to get such sharp photos in low light with moving children!)

6. fidget says:

i wish Christmas would barf on my tree. Mine looks like someone stuffed a live grenade down Barbie’s throat.

7. Angie says:

Those look like Norman Rockwell photos!

8. Victoria says:

Gorgeous light in your photos : )

9. Jaime says:

I think I will bring my daughter up to your house and let you take some photos in front of your tree. I seem to like both better. That is your tree and your photo taking abilities not that your daughter isn’t cute but I am found of my girl. :)

10. Anitz says:

OMG

Christmas is coming waaaaaaay toooooo faaaaaast!

But hey, you are prepared… do you have the candles ready (you know, emergency prep, just in case the power fails again? What about batteries for all those flashlights?)

If you say yes to that, then I am really impressed!

11. Jen @ amazing trips says:

$668.00. Six hundred and sixty-eight dollars.

That’s how much I spent on blocks. And a block storage chest. And a large flatbed truck. And two village cars and two village vans and four little village people. And five trucks - including a fire truck, a dump truck, a semi truck and I can’t even remember what the other two trucks are … it’s a blur of wood truck purchasing glee.

I just started ordering stuff. And more stuff. And oh my God, why did you have to post the web address to Community Playthings?? I figure that if I can convince my husband to take out a second mortgage, I can go BACK and order the bench glider rocking chair. And some easels. And an indoor wooden playstructure. And maybe we should just move so that I can get a job working there. Or, maybe we’ll open our own montessori.

12. hipwritermama says:

Beautiful photos. I think I’m going to have to bug my husband about getting the tree now.

13. t in h says:

Re: Heather’s question, I’d like to know, too! I’ve tried everything i can think of to get sharp images while preserving the low lighting and “atmosphere” of a night or low lighting shot. My flash ruins my shot but without it, everything is blurry. I’ve played with other settings with and without flash as well, but have found nothing yet that really works.

14. Meritt says:

Let’s trade “tree decorating pictures” this year. I’ll take yours and you take mine, cuz, really yours turned out so much better. LOL. (Next year I’m making them wait until evening so the lighting will be more pretty… LOL).

15. Camilla Todd says:

I am sorely jealous of snow and a glowing christmas tree. I think one thing i am going to have to aim for in life is either living, or travelling to, somewhere with snow at winter. It’s meant to be that way. We have coldness but no snow. Pyjamas, snow outside, and a glowing christmas tree just takes the biscuit. And as everyone else has said, fantastic photos! I have an awesome camera, and a degree in photography, and i never learnt to take photos like that. Yours come out wonderful.

16. CathyC says:

Chris, these shots are gorgeous!!! The light is so beautiful! And, I think I’ve said this before, I LOVE that wall paper!!! I know how you feel about wall paper, but I can’t help it, I’m a wall paper kind of girl.
    Have a great day!

17. Karen Vogel says:

My tree, too. Sometimes I yearn for a “pretty” tree with evenly spaced decorations, instead of our current “everything but the kitchen sink” arrangement; but I know I’ll miss these messy trees when my kids are grown.

18. jody says:

Gorgeous! It looks like a magical Christmas at your house!

What kind of tree is that. It is so pretty.

19. Geri says:

you’re missing a child in the photos. I am a middle child.. can you upload his?

They are so sweet. Great lighting.

I love the wallpaper in that room. Please please please post a picture of your fireplace in there.

21. Carrie says:

Your kids look so intent & content with decorating the tree. Beautiful pictures.

22. Grace says:

LOVE the photos! I too am in awe of your talent and your camera. By the way…what kind of camera do you have?

23. Jen @ amazingtrips says:

OH! And that doesn’t even include the nine hundred something I spent on a new Nikon D40x (with two lenses and a carrying case) in October. But the pictures I took of our kids decorating the tree were so washed out it could have been high noon in the Sahara.

Just because you own the equipment doesn’t make you a pro. You really do need to spill how you got these great shots in low light. Maybe if I watched the two instructional DVD’s that came with my almost-thousand-dollar-purchase I’d have a clue. But I haven’t time for that when I’m busy on the Community Playthings and Hearthsong websites every night…

24. OMSH says:

I like to sit back and unwrap ornaments and watch my children pile all of them in one broad circle, dead center.

I think elves come whilst I sleep and rearrange everything perfectly.
    Or maybe it was my mom, Izzy.

Either way - it looks much better now.

Beautiful shots, all. :)

25. briana says:

I think the tree looks lovely. I’m personally a fan for ‘themed’ and ‘organized’ tree decorating, but with a 2 1/2 year old, it went out the window this year. I attempted to supervise his decorating efforts, but he insisted on placing all of the ornaments on ONE BRANCH right in the center bottom of the tree. I think the hubby got some pictures of it. I’ll have to post them soon.
    And I too love the pictures. Nighttime pictures with Christmas lights are just the best!

26. Gayle says:

Love the wintry scene outside. I am in ATL, and it has been in the mid-70’s for almost a week now. Doesn’t feel like Christmas here.

27. Julie Stiles Mills says:

You’re doing it right. And I don’t mean the tree. or today. I mean the kids. Total time spent. You are doing it right.

Lovely pictures. I covet your camera!

29. Kasey says:

the lighting in this series of photos is off tha hook… I mean it’s just so warm and lovely!! :)