Here and There

Here and There

December 11, 2007

Today I have my first post up over at Ordering Disorder, where I am thrilled to be taking over a blog that Melissa started for Work It, Mom last year. The focus of the blog is parenting tips and tricks, easy nutritious recipes, and organizing the chaos that is life. I have written about my love for containers and baskets before. Who needs a college fund when you have cute labeled baskets. The site is geared towards working mothers, which aren’t we all whether we get paid for it or not, and the juggling act that we all do.

So if you want to go and say hello and leave a comment I’d be eternally grateful.

Or if you want you can go over to Parenting and find out why this tacky plastic Santa is my most favorite ornament.

DSC_01061

Next up, how to take good photos in low light.

Right after I convince my children that they can not change their minds about what they want for Christmas now. Wish me luck. There is no way I am going back to any toy stores again this year.

Comments

1. AmyG says:

I’m de-lurking after months of reading to ask….why did you say you have 5 kids instead of 7 in your profile for Ordering Disorder? I know, I know. I de-lurked for this???

Chris says: Because that was the highest number on the pull down menu!

2. She Likes Purple says:

Congrats to you and best of luck, in the new projects and in the breaking of the news to your kids.

3. Marie says:

My son tried to add to his list. I said to late.

4. OMSH says:

Oh good post over at Parenting! Love it. And I agree - romanticize the past - because living in the midst of it wasn’t always so easy and hindsight can’t make it better if we don’t soften the edges a bit.

CVS

Y’know, they have the cheapest milk in town, I SWEAR.

I was wondering the same thing as AmyG. I can’t believe they put a cap on how many children you can have! What, they couldn’t even spring for letting you select 5+? lol

6. Farmer says:

AH! What a nice story to go along with your CVS ornament. I have a funny CVS story also. When we were first married, we also received a free ornament from CVS, the Christmas mouse of 1994. It’s ugly, but I’ve never thrown it away. It usually hangs on the backside of the tree. Last Christmas, my sister had emailed me a shot of her girls in front of their tree (wanted me to photoshop it for her annual xmas card). When I enlarged the photo what did I find?!? The CVS mouse of 1994 on HER tree! I laughed & laughed, called her up & asked her about it. She doesn’t remember receiving it, but for some reason she has 2 from that year & she puts both on her tree each year. So one day, I took a photo of the my CVS mouse on my tree & emailed it to her. Her response, I see your 1 mouse & raise you 2. Funny! My CVS mouse is proudly displayed on the front of the tree from here on out. It’s now a treasured ornament.

Aw, I learned something new about you at Ordering Disorder. Congrats on the new blogging gig.

Also? I told the kids their Christmas “orders” are in, there’s no changing them now. The trick is to keep them away from my husband because he will go out and buy them whatever “toy of the moment” they want.

8. Julie says:

I love your children’s photos by the Christmas tree…esp. using the natural lighting. You may have already covered this, but what setting did you use on your camera? I can never get mine to turn out without a flash!

9. AmyG says:

OK - that is hilarious. They ask you - a respected blogger who writes so eloquently about your large family and how you do it - to write a column that limits your number of children with a pull down menu that only goes to 5?!? TOTALLY worth de-lurking.

Chris says: It IS funny! They are going to fix it.

10. Crisanne says:

I’m excited to see your new blog and what fun ideas you have there. As for the last post, I never would have understood had Mir not explained it. I don’t want to start any flares or anything, but I’ve always thought that not all “middle children” act/think like middle children. I trust that you know him best and feature him as you see appropriate. Besides, I can’t keep track of their ages so when you refer to them by age I just pick one randomly! :)

11. Dione says:

Congrats Chris! I checked out Work It, Mom! and loved it. Achieving work/life balance is such a big issue. I know I really struggle with it. Looking forward to getting and giving advice that will help give us some semblance of sanity!

12. dcrmomd says:

I can’t WAIT to hear how to take photos in low light. What a fun new blog. Going to check it out now.

13. Anna says:

Ohhhh! I can’t wait for this one…I tried to take a very similar picture of an ornament on my tree and it kept coming out like crap. Every single shot was a blur without the flash.