The freak out begins

The freak out begins

December 18, 2007

Do you realize how many days there are until Christmas? Do you?

Why didn’t you tell me?

Holy crap I have so many things to do from planning our Christmas dinner menu. Buying the food. Renting tables and chairs and chafing dishes. Mailing out the rest of my Christmas cards. Getting my hair done. Going to the dentist. Cleaning my house. Finishing the wrapping. Remembering to water the damn tree. Bake cookies. Have a nervous breakdown.

Over at Ordering Disorder I revisited my crack recipe, now with photos and more witty commentary.
You can make some crack too.

Do you think I could just serve this for Christmas dinner?

Comments

1. nrp says:

Must go water my tree right away. Thanks for the reminder.

To think, if only we celebrated Hanukah, we’d already be all done.

That crack stuff covers most of your major (and minor) food groups–I don’t see why it wouldn’t be a perfectly acceptable all-in-one holiday meal.

2. wookie says:

I would serve that for Christmas dinner, but I am an anti-traditionalist. My kids would yell “Moo-yah!” My husband would faint from the sacriliege that I did not want to make him a 4 course turkey dinner with all the fixin’s.

Wow… the bean dip is sounding more and more appealing all the time.

3. nabbalicious says:

Um, shit yeah you could serve crack dip and nothing else for dinner! I could live on that stuff.

4. Rae says:

Oh man I am totally going to make the crack. It looks amazing.

I have about a million and ten things to do also. I am lying on the floor moaning about it, rather than doing anything.

5. Yogamum says:

I served nachos for Christmas dinner one year!

6. Melissa says:

You got me! Now I just have to go find out what “crack” is- LOL

7. Rachel says:

See if you had been visiting my blog every day, you would know. I have this cute little countdown with a Christmas tree that gets a new ornament each day, and has a nice little sign telling how many days are left. Yet somehow, I still have the same amount of things to get done as you do!!! I found myself reading your list saying Yep, yep, yeah I need to do that, oh CRAP, the tree! Off to get my watering can!

8. Lisa Lisa says:

OMG! This got my heart pumping just reading it! I’ve got all these things left to do to.

O.K. Now I’m stressed.

10. Anna says:

Jeesh! How many people are you feeding? I bet everything will turn out amazing… good luck!

Chris says: Well in addition to us, nine adults and one kid. We have no dining room table right now which is why I need to rent tables.

11. Anitz says:

Can you toss the salad into the crack before baking? Like corn niblets, red and green peppers? Um, what d’ya call them green onions where you can also eat the green part? Chopped cucumber and tomatos?

Wish I knew what lime tostitos are… Sounds great…

12. Grace says:

Yesterday morning the realization of how CLOSE we are to Christmas hit me. Smack dab in the face. I realized I hadn’t purchased ONE item for my family…all 12 of them! ARGH!

13. OMSH says:

This is why I don’t cook, don’t do Christmas cards, don’t invite anyone over for anything but breakfast, bought a 1230 sq. ft. home, forgot I had hair, and what else? Oh yes, ONLY have to wrap Christmas gifts before Christmas.

I’m giving me a great big award this year for doing darn near close to nothing.

And silently, you shame me.
    heh heh
    kinda

14. Christy says:

Dang…what would Christmas be without Crack!?

Good luck keeping your head on straight!

15. Karen Vogel says:

I’m too sick to shop and so I refuse to think about the fact that I will be running around like crazy this weekend. Christmas dinner? Oh, yeah - I forgot.

16. Jamie says:

lalalalala I can’t hear you lalalalala

17. kathleen says:

I spent today freaking out as well….the list is very very long and we are booked solid this weekend…time’s ticking LOUDLY.

18. Natalie says:

Now see, I was sure you were referring to my version of Christmas Crack, but I think we’re in different courses. My version requires butter, brown sugar, chocolate and some crackers, but the important ingredients are the first three. ;) OTOH, I haven’t sent out any Christmas cards at all, so…I guess we’ll do HNY’08 cards. LOL

19. Jill A. says:

Yes….you could serve the crack dip for Christmas dinner. It IS that good. I’ve been known to serve it for dinner here……yum. In fact, I’ll be serving it at our family party.

20. Boomom says:

Jamie nailed it ! LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Maddy says:

Dear Chris,
    Thank you for the Crack receipt, my family and I are all now completely addicted following last nights massive pig-out on said Crack with suggested salad.

The children are refusing to get out of bed until I promise they can have the leftovers for breakfast. The only reason we have leftovers is that we are a family of four and I made your size serving, which I presume serves 9!

My husband has taken leftover Crack for his lunch and if I don’t hurry up and finish this comment there will be no leftovers left for my breakfast………………………..boys wait for Mum!

22. Mary W says:

I am pulling the Catholic card - 12 days after Christmas is Epiphany - I can get the cards out then and we’re good.

23. Emmyjw says:

I made crack last night, all 4 kids, even the picky one. LOVED it! I managed to eat only one chip full therfore bypassing the elastic waist…this time

24. Genevieve says:

I’m totally going to have to try that sometime! My personal crack is very similar: 1 pkg cream cheese + 1 sm can baked beans, warmed up & served w/either potato or tortilla chips. Something about that beany-cheesy combo.

So anyway a few days ago my husband & I sat down to make our To Do lists. I think he had maybe six things on his list, while I filled both sides of a sheet of loose leaf. He just sat there and watched me keep writing and writing and writing. When I finished I had a mild panic attack (WHY is this season so stressful?!? it’s just wrong!) but then I was able to cross off six things before noon the next day, and I felt better. And I’m happy to say I actually accomplished everything important on my list that very week, which included keeping my sanity and not murdering any of my children. :)