Raindrops on Roses, Snowflakes on Windows…

Raindrops on Roses, Snowflakes on Windows…

December 29, 2007

Looking for something to do this long weekend with the kids? Do you have your own sweatshop filled with workers that are sitting around twiddling their thumbs now that all the lead toys have been made and shipped? Have I got something for you to do.

I have a post up over at Ordering Disorder about some snowflakes we made. And there are only one hundred zillion mind numbing steps so that you can follow along and partake also. Drinking of alcohol highly recommended, you Mormons can just get hopped up on Mountain Dew. You’ll need the stamina.

I figured out that after doing this craft, taking photos of it, uploading the photos, and writing the article that I made a negative hourly wage on this one. So make me feel better and go read.

Miles-ism for today: When we brought our roast beef to the dinner table tonight, Miles said “I don’t want to eat brains!” So the rest of us kept saying things like, “Mmmmmm, pass me more brains!” or “Give me some bread so I can sop up this gray matter.” We are a sick, sick family.

Comments

1. Mrs. Schmitty says:

Beautiful snowflakes…but honestly, I just don’t have the patience!

P.S. I love how your family thinks regarding the brains!!

2. Dawn says:

Ummm…I don’t think Mormons are allowed caffeine either. I think they can only get high on life. :) I have a good friend who is Mormon and I remember offering him a Starbucks and he said, “can’t do coffee…no caffeine…” I was like, “Gah, how do you get through these 7 am faculty meetings?” He was always so chipper in the morning. Come to think of it, he was always happy and energized…hmmm? The irony was at the year end breakfast, in the raffle, he won the bottle of wine! Ha! He was a good sport about it though.

Chris says: I thought they could have caffeine in cold beverages like soda.

3. Lazy Organizer says:

Yes, they (we) can. Although what’s the difference? Hot or cold I don’t drink caffeine. Now caffeine in a solid form such as chocolate is a whole other matter.

4. Anna says:

I loved the 3D snowflake…really pretty, I think a 2liter bottle of diet pepsi might be enough for me to finish one of those. Might be worth a try!

5. Tara says:

Love the snowflake idea! However, I would need a lot more than a sip or two of alcohol before I began such an undertaking! They sure are beautiful, though.

Happy new year!

Chris says: Did I say sip? I surely meant to say bottle.

6. Carrie says:

Vault is so much better to get hopped up on!:)

Chris says: Is that what the kids are calling crack nowadays? ;-)

Pretty snowflakes! We will try them.
    Wanna get your boys really going? When Peep was little his uncle got him to eat all his broccoli by calling it “monkey brains.”

8. Karen Vogel says:

We had a phase last year where all the younger kids would chant, “Pig brains for dinner! Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum!” I don’t know why or how it started, but it sure drove my teenage daughter crazy.

Mormons can have Coca-Cola, I know that.

9. Regina says:

I went to school with a whole lot of Mormons. I think you’re right, they are supposed to stay away from the hot drinks with caffeine, but the really devout/strict ones went without any caffeinated drinks. A real bummer for them!

10. Suzanne says:

This particular Mormon prefers Diet Coke. (though when splitting hairs, I shouldn’t drink either…)

11. Carolyn says:

Awe…c’mon Chris…how are the rest of us mere mortal momma’s supposed to compete with that?

I’m taking my bottle of wine and drinking alone…screw the snowflakes.

12. Anitz says:

Mad Cow, anyone?

13. Jodi says:

Why is there differentiation between hot and cold caffeine? Just curious.

As for the snowflakes, I have a slightly OCD, perfectionist 14yo son who would enjoy making these. I just about have to imbibe something to deal with him in any way these days. Puberty is fun for all.

14. Jules says:

I really like the 3D snowflakes - those are cool. I’m not sure I have enough patience, caffeine or alcohol to make them - I mean to help my kids make them.

Chris says: The 3D ones really aren’t difficult. Much easier than the fussy cut ones.

15. Johna says:

I just recently found your website and am enjoying reading it. We have no children yet, but I am sure to learn a few tips from you with all of your experience! :)

16. Ruth H says:

You are so definitely from a branch of my family tree. We sat around the annual family bonfire last night making gallows humor as we burned the boxes and wrapping paper from Christmas. One of our friends was making hotels, malls, clinics etc. from the boxes we were burning as we made appropriate, (inappropriate) remarks. It was bad. We had so much fun.

17. Kristen says:

We made a 3D snowflake today! My 4 year old and I knocked one out while my 2 year old slept. It was GREAT!!!! I love, love idea of “decorating” with these for New Years, and may make this an annual tradition. It’s nice to pepper the house with something new for January. Kind of takes the sting out of taking the tree down. Thanks Again— this is definitely a keeper.

18. Sarah G. says:

In our house we call beef yummy cow. It’s fun telling them we’re having yummy cow for dinner or asking if they would like a little more yummy cow.

Saying mmmmm brains tends to freak out my youngest boy.

19. Elizabeth says:

I don’t know where best to email this, but I tried your other site today, http://inthetrenchesofmotherhood.com/, and it looked like it was taken over by something/someone?… I love this other site of yours; will it be down now?

20. Rachel says:

I think you have a fabulous family, not that you don’t already know that.

21. Earl says:

I’m thinking that some of the older boys TOLD him it was brains………….just to mess with him.

22. Mary W says:

Hadn’t looked at the snowflake link yet - that might be Thursday’s activity but just had to comment on the brains - in this house the kids make oinking sounds when we serve pork. We used to have some vegetarian friends. The little girl was telling us how much she loved her baby chickens. The oldest told her he loved chicken to - fried and in bbq sauce.

HMMMMMMM Guess that’s why we “used to be friends”