Calling Julie Andrews…

Calling Julie Andrews…

December 31, 2007

Calling Julie Andrews....

My daughter loved this movie. She had to have the soundtrack downloaded onto her iPod. She sang and danced her way through the movie. And cried when Maria went back to the abbey. The boys mostly tolerated the movie.

Do A Deer

She also accusingly asked, “Why don’t you ever make us clothes out of curtains?”

Comments

1. Cheryl says:

So - why don’t you make clothes out of curtains??

Just kidding - my favourite movie too!!!!

2. Christy says:

And was your reply, “I’ll get right on that”?

3. jodi says:

I love this movie also. Your daughter has great taste :-)!

4. Karen Vogel says:

It’s hard to compete with Julie Andrews. Just make sure not to show her Mary Poppins.

5. sandy says:

Remember the skirt you wrote about? If it looks like curtains? You could give it to her *nodding gravely*

6. Midsummer Night says:

Good golly I love that movie too.

7. Katiebod (Roses are Red, Violets are Violet) says:

LOL.

you’re such a failure. [wink, wink]

8. MoMMY says:

HA! One of my boys actually asked me that when they first saw this. I think he (please don’t ask which one) was around three at the time. Was devastated when I refused. Also was not pleased at the laughter the request caused.

9. kellie says:

Love it! Also my all time favorite movie…and also my youngest loves it and will
    sit thru the whole entire thing, the others as well tolerated it.

Have to laugh, we had spent the weekend at brothers in Boston and as
    the six of us and the five of them sat down to eat my six year old leans over and says ,
    “momma this is like being a VonTrapp” it took us a few seconds to figure out what
    she was talking about….until she said, “we should be wearing curtains!”…

Happy New Year to you and yours and all your readers!

10. Carolyn says:

“Barely tolerated”? Consider yourself lucky. My oldest (son/13) can’t stand Julie Andrews. I think he inherited that gene from his dad, who also can’t stand Julie Andrews. He runs screaming from the room if the tv happens across any movie with her and he doesn’t hold the “powah” in his hand (ie…remote).

I need to see if I can fool him by finding a copy of Victor/Victoria…heh, heh, heh…

Curtains indeed. Keep her away from Gone with the Wind…LOL.

11. AngelaS says:

I have some lovely floral curtains. Send me her measurements. :D

12. Kristabella says:

Too funny! This is my all-time favorite movie too!

But I’ll pass on clothes out of those ugly curtains.

13. Anna says:

Aww, I love Sound of Music. My in-laws were *in* Austria the last two weeks. How unfair is that? ;)

14. MARY ANNE says:

Happy Holidays Chris
    We too watched the sound of music last evening. It brought back so many memories!.
    When it was released,( back before you were born?) my aunt took my sister, me and our elderly grandmother to the theater to celebrate Elizabeth’s 10th birthday. My grandmother loved the music and the sound track was one that played many many times in their home. My children, associate it with the tape their grandmother gave them for Christmas many years back. Whatever it was a nice waltz down memory lane and rare family time (these days) that I enjoyed greatly.
    mak

15. kalisah says:

HA! A child after my own heart.

When I was little, my dad used to sing, “How do you solve a problem like KALISAH?”

16. Liesl says:

Of course she loved it! My favorite movie. Of course being named after a character makes it a mandatory favorite!

17. Johna says:

Can you believe I have never ever seen that movie? ha.

18. GraceD says:

Damn that drop-out nun Maria and her play clothes cut out of draperies! A clear rip-off from Scarlett O’Hara and Mammy turning the “po’teers” into a fancy velvet dress.

Anyway, I too was compelled to watch some of ‘The Sound…’ last night, but only willing to do so with Radiohead playing in the background. Your daughter and my gay friends who love musicals would not at all like such a mash-up.

Many blessings to you and your family for 2008 and beyond. I know I speak for hundreds when I say that your writing has provided entertainment, inspiration and some great gut laughing in a world that is so nuts and wrong. You’re better than “brown paper packages tied up in string.” (And what’s with that, anyway?)

Always with love and admiration…

Chris says: Awww, grace, you know the feeling is mutual. And my older sons love Radiohead and would have loved to sit in a room with someone who instead of breaking into songs, mocked the show.

19. Leeann says:

ROFLMAO!! Now *that* is a classic line! Just one more thing she can talk to her therapist about twenty years from now!

Leeann

20. Heather's Garden says:

What was up with the movie starting at a different time than Comcast had it listed at in the guide? I missed the whole first hour! But by humoring very tolerant husband by switching around on the commericals, also blessedley missed the puppet show so I don’t have that song stuck in my head all week. Remember when the Wizard of Oz was a yearly Thanksgiving evening tradition? Having it on DVD just isn’t the same.

21. All Adither says:

Those toes!

22. arduous says:

Oh, I LOVE “The Sound of Music.” And it was also my favorite movie growing up. Well either that or “My Fair Lady.” It’s a tough call.

23. lotus07 says:

This was one of those rare movies that enthralled me as a child when I saw it in the movie theater (not on VHS or DVD). It was the same with Mary Poppins. I must of had a crush on Julie Andrews when I was 8 years old.

24. bombaygirl says:

One of my all-time favorite movies. And of my family’s. We were such geeks, we did the Sound of Music tour in Austria. It was so neat…and a little disappointing, because the scenes were all shot in different places, and then put together in a pastiche. I wanted so badly to walk throught “the” house, and the gardens, and the gazebo, and look up at the trees in the drive, etc. But still, it was worth it. I have pics of me by the goblin statues in the park (where they have their picnic and run around singing the do re mi song).

25. Wendy says:

Whoa! Your 4 yr old daughter has an Ipod?! Dude, that just made me feel incredibly old and so not up with technology. Hey if I do get one, can she show me how to use it?

Chris says: *I* don’t even have an iPod. So I’ll join you in feeling all old. I bought my daughter a refurbished iPod shuffle which was comparable to getting her a CD player, which she really, REALLY wanted. And the added bonus of no CDs to get scratched.

26. Crisanne says:

We enjoyed the movie last night too. My daughter was certain the father, “Captain”, was a pirate!

27. Kelly says:

Oh we watched this last night and it was wonderful. It is great when we get our kids to love the classics….the good stuff!

28. Elizabeth says:

Hrrmm, my newly 7 yo son loves this show, and loved seeing the play performed live last year. He loves all the big musicals. Should I worry? *wink* Last night, however, he asked for us to turn the TV off and then fell asleep, which was my cue to check his temp - that’s right, only a 102.6 fever keeps him from Ms. Andrews appreciation. I will note that his iPod plays Kung Fu Fighting about 90% of the time, but I guess that doesn’t get him big masculine points either. (It’s so funny, though, because he sings along with it, even the big “huh!” and the “de-de-de-de-deet-deet-deet-deet-deeeeee” instrumental parts, and doesn’t realize he is doing it.) He does play and watch sports and army guys, though, if that’s any masculine comfort.

29. crockpot lady says:

yes. why don’t you get right on that?
    –steph

30. Joy H says:

LOVE SofM; we had to buy the DVD. My foursome (that IS including the boys) will do their own little version of ‘So long, farewell’ complete with my oldest carrying the youngest up the stairs. Hilarious.

I was in the play in high school and it’s on the agenda for summer 2008 at our local community theatre. We’ll be at auditions!

Can’t get enough SofM!

31. Terri says:

Hmmm…I think I like Carol Burnett’s curtain dress better, rod and all!

Well.Where are the curtain clothes for all of your kids? My boys would rebel if I made them wear such as that.

33. dana says:

I too watched it last night….and thoroughly enjoyed it. Well, in between the barfing. I was sick……

But the movie was great!!!

34. BetteJo says:

Someday you’ll be able to use that as a threat - “what do you mean you don’t want to wear that outfit we spent 5 hours in the mall searching for - do you want me to make your clothes out of curtains?” Ah-h. Sweeeeet.

35. Becky says:

I LOVE that movie, but I am weird like that.
    My brothers ran screaming when I watched it…as does my husband.

36. Karen says:

OK… the sewing thing… For Christmas I was supposed to make a jacket for my daughter. Three days ago the fabric made it to the table - and that’s about it. My 20 year old son sees the fabric laying out and asks if I will make him some plaid pants - I’m assuming this has to do with his current golf craze. (At least I hope that’s it.) So does anyone have any ugly plaid curtains?!

37. Kelly says:

Glad to see you are raising her right. :)
    I LOVE musicals.
    I think your daughter and I would get along wonderfully.

38. Isabel Kallman says:

i always wanted my mom to make me dresses from drapes!