Titles Are Overated

Titles Are Overated

January 8, 2008

I have a post up over at Work It, Mom. I give the recipe for the Italian sausage soup that I served on Christmas. The relatives all took some home that is how good it was.

I also wrote about how much I love my bread maker. I really miss eating fresh baked bread. Sandwichh bread from the store, eh, I can live fine without it. But warm home made bread?

Gluten free bread just isn’t the same. No, it isn’t.

I have an appointment with my allergist tomorrow. I still feel like crap from the last allergy attack. Though today at least I don’t feel like my chest is being squeezed in a vice. I just feel like I am dying. And I am not saying that in a melodramatic way, but in a my-body-is-failing-me type of way. Which would really just serve me right for all the years that I hated it and abused it so.

The allergist will probably end up being the first stop on my east coast doctor tour, because you know one doctor never has the answer. It requires at least a few to tell you that they collectively have no idea. And then you either get better or just ignore all of your symptoms and move on with your life. Or else you die and the coroner diagnoses you post mortem. Obviously I am hoping for the former.

At least I haven’t been cold the past two days. That is probably the most positive thing that I am going to be able to come up with tonight.

Comments

1. suburbancorrespondent says:

I hate that moment when I realized that I am old enough now that I can’t assume that I am eventually going to bounce back from whatever it is that ails me.

2. Stephanie says:

Chris,
    So sorry to see that you are feeling like crap. I completely understand. I’ll be doing my own West Coast Dr. tour on Thursday for similar issues, and can sympathize. Especially with the frustration of going from doctor to doctor with no real answers. I hope and pray you can find both answers and relief very soon.

3. Jamie AZ says:

I hope the allergist appointment tomorrow gives you some information and potential relief. I have a cell-receptor antibody allergy that causes me to break out into hives if I get warm (basically, I’m allergic to an antibody that my OWN BODY makes - ugh!). Unfortunately, it’s just something that I have to “grow” out of, however long that takes. For now, Allegra keeps the hives at bay at least halfway. I NEED to get on my treadmill, but I know I’ll get warm doing so and get the hives for 30 minutes to an hour - of course, it’s the right thing to do, but I still avoid it for some reason. Have they done a blood test to affirm what you’re truly allergic to? My allergist here in Tucson said that skin-prick tests for allergies aren’t as reliable as blood tests. Of course, I believe him because I haven’t been told differently. Food allergies suck though; I did dairy elimination a couple years ago thinking I had a dairy allergy and I was miserable.

4. Christy says:

Good luck with the Dr Tomorrow. I hope they are able to give you some good advice and some answers.

5. Haley says:

Good luck with the doctor tomorrow! I completely feel your “why does my body hate me?” pain…I enjoyed (not!) ten years of miserable sinus problems before anyone thought to take a CT of my nose. My septum was deviated to a 90 degree angle…go figure. It didn’t help that I was allergic to everything airborne as a kid. Allergy shots helped tremendously. Although I’m still off the charts allergic to dust…it will forever be my excuse as to why I can’t pick up the dusting cloth. :) Hopefully, they will be able to come up with some answers and an action plan!

6. Crisanne says:

I hope you get some answers tomorrow, or at least get some tests ordered to lead you there. I’ll be thinking good thoughts for you, esp that the doctor can give you answers, not more questions.

7. Rae says:

You poor thing. I’m so sorry. I hope the kids are all pitching in and treating you well.

8. Anna says:

Chris, you’re so cheery and optimistic tonight!

9. All Adither says:

Am very well versed in all things allergy and in hyper-immune systems. Please keep us posted.

10. Ashley says:

I know that “dying” feeling. I have crummy asthma and an even crummier nut and sesame seed allergy. It takes along time to recover from a bad allergy attack…to get back to feeling like you…like you’re alive. Good luck with your doctor tour.

I am so sorry about the allergies. That has got to be so hard to live with. I hope at least one of your doctors can figure out what it is and how to help you.

12. Anya says:

I feel for you. Not to sound like a salesperson or anything, but I myself found that imbalance in the intestines can play a big part in allergies and such. A while ago I started on a probiotic called ThreeLac, mostly promoted for getting rid of candida (which I didn’t have) in combination with psyllium husks (just a tablespoon per day) and fresh vegetable / fruit juice each morning, and almost all of my usual winter cold symptoms, allergy symptoms and what have you not disappeared. It seems 70% of your immune system is in your intestines… Just a thought.

Hope you feel well soon!

13. Mir says:

Why ya gotta be so sunshiney all the time, Chris? ;)

*smooch* Hang in there. Can’t wait to hear the report. (Who knows, maybe they’ll figure something out.)

14. BJ says:

Just wanted to wish you well. Since being quite sick in the spring with kidney issues, I’ve never quite felt the same. Even though technically I’m fine. Suddenly my body feels foreign, and it’s just not doing things as easily and pain-free as it always has. I expected to age. Just not yet! I hope you get some answers, and you’ll be able to feel healthy and symptom-free and energetic again.

15. Meg's Mom says:

I’ve had grass/tree allergies for years, but several years ago developed what the dermatologist said was an allergy to eye makeup (mind you, I did not go ANYWHERE without eye makeup). Switched to Almay and it got better - but then it got worse. Happened to mention it to my therapist who said (in essence) sometimes our mind makes us allergic. She suggested that the dermatologist run a skin patch test - voila! I’m NOT allergic to eye makeup (and the subsequent therapy has prevented any further reactions on my eyelids). Just this week the therapist indicated that my grass/tree allergies may actually start improving now, too. The message, I think, is that your body works in mysterious ways - sometimes for you and sometimes not!

16. Mindy says:

When my daughter was suffering with allergies and we didn’t know what was wrong with her the doctors were no help at all. We got an immediate diagnosis and help from a chiropracter specializing in muscle testing. I would strongly suggest that route to anyone with allergy problems.

17. Suki says:

I thought of you recently on the allergy front when I shopped at a new grocery store (Wegman’s) and bought their store-brand chicken stock. I was pleasantly surprised to find it marked gluten free since I remembered your chicken stock of death post. All their other store-brand products were also clearly marked for food allergies. They seem to only extend as far north as upstate New York, which is somehow where I think you live, but I could be totally wrong, which would make this info useless:)

18. Steph says:

Why isn’t your email addy anywhere to be found on this blog? Ahhhh Can you email me? I’ve gone to the allergist with the same stuff you have and after seeing 7 (yes 7) different doctors we finally figured out what’s wrong!

19. Lizzy in the Burbs says:

I know how you feel, I am having the same “my body has betrayed me” issues lately, and actually I’ve tried pretty hard to be good to mine. (and this is the thanks I get) Getting older really sucks lemons. (little miss sunshine we ain’t)

20. Lynn says:

That is so frustrating to feel so crappy and not get answers from the doctors. Chris, I think you are so wonderful and have enjoyed reading your blog for about a year now (this is the first time I have replied). I really hope you are feeling better soon.

21. jennP says:

one option that helped out some friends of mine is NAET http://www.naet.com - its a holistic treatment, but honestly, a friend got rid of a severe, life threatening allergies to sulfites and nuts. She can now consume these products without any problems! her brother is also currently going through those treatments because of her results.

sometimes the answer is not conventional stuff :)
    best of luck

jennP

Aw, I hope you get some real answers from the doctor!!! Feel better!

23. Dee/reddirtramblings says:

Hi, I also have asthma and gluten and casein intolerance. A year ago, I was so sick. I have good news because after being GF/CF over a year, I’m starting to feel almost normal again. Hang in there. I also understand why you feel the way you do about doctors. They kinda suck.

24. Laurie B says:

I feel for you and your allergies, I’ve got some auto-immune things going on too.

I don’t know for sure but I have been told that Wegman’s (mentioned by Suki) has the best and most honest labels. I have bought some “store brand” things there (that either my family or myself could not have tolerated if the label was wrong) that I would not have trusted otherwise and they were fine.

Some of this might be in our heads but hey, when I can’t breathe, I take it pretty seriously.

Good Luck to all and here’s hoping you find out something that is helpful.
    LB

25. Sarah says:

My body hates me, too. I haven’t been allergy tested. I will be calling tomorrow to see if I can have that done. I wonder if that’s my deal. Damn.

26. Nora Bee says:

That soup looks spectacular. Good luck on the doctor loop…

27. Wicked Stepmom says:

Chris,

I wanted to echo what’s already been posted. Allergies suck. I hope you find some answers and relief soon.

Cathy/WSM

28. Fina says:

Feel better
    Good luck
    And yes, not so cold is always a good thing!
    Fina

29. teresa says:

You are absolutely right. Gluten free bread is in no way a happy alternative. Those who try to convince you otherwise are saying it to convince themselves. I’m gluten-intolerant and understand that there are just some foods I really will have to live without (unless I cheat).

I know that feeling of knowing that there’s something wrong and doctors just not being able to tell you what it is. All the best to you and you’ll be in my prayers.

30. Kathy from NJ says:

I can’t comment on the BlogHer site, this has nothing to do with your regular site. If you don’t do anything else today, please read Greg Petch’s entry for today - it seems that the internet was invented in the 1800’s!

31. Leah says:

I second the NAET suggestion - my mom and sister eliminated their milk/dairy allergies that had plagued them for 25+ years. The process is long, and seems a little wacky, but they went from having severe diarrhea after ingesting ANY milk to being able to eat whatever they want - even ice cream and lasagna!

Hi Chris,
    Just thinking of you, wondering how your appointment went. :)

33. Sunny says:

My mom made the Italian sausage soup for dinner. Yummy!

34. Girlymom4 says:

Good luck at the dr’s today, hopefully fingers crossed, they will be able to help you out. Your soup sounds like something my Hubby would really enjoy. How do you make your bread, I am new to the breadmaker. We got one for Xmas last year and I think I have used it four times. I just don’t know what to do.