Wednesday

Wednesday

January 15, 2008

Tap tap tap. Why hello, I still do have a blog. And I am still alive and feeling better. Completely and totally paranoid, but better. Just ignore me in the corner with my boiled chicken breast and white rice.

Tomorrow was shaping up to be a fun day.

Last week I made plans with a friend to go a museum near us that was having free admission tomorrow. The museum is incredibly overpriced for its itty bitty offerings. We haven’t been there in three years.

This morning my daughter’s dentist called to reschedule her appointment that they canceled yesterday due to the big snow storm. She said, “I have an opening on Wednesday, how is that for you?” And I said, “That is great! See you then.”

I happily went about my day with nary a thought about this conflict.

Then I sat down at my computer this afternoon and suddenly thought about theater tickets I had purchased in August. When were those shows I wondered. I searched my email (see there are good reasons to never delete any emails) and found out that the I have tickets to a show for tomorrow. I then began an all out search through my house to find those tickets that I have not laid eyes on since September.

When I called the dentist to cancel I suddenly thought, ‘Shit! The museum!’ And then I had to call my friend and cancel on her.

While I was on the phone my daughter asked me about story time. Oh yes, THAT is tomorrow also.

And my 10 year old reminded me that he has art lessons tomorrow.

It really is a good thing that my husband bought me that Blackberry so that I could be organized, huh? And if I could figure out how to use the calendar feature and synch it to my computer I would be all set.

I was on the phone with Susan, telling her all about the plans I had made and broken for one day, when I have six other days with nothing at all going on, and Miles opened a bottle of garlic powder and dumped the entire thing on the table. Then he helpfully pushed it onto the floor. I cleaned it all up and now stink like garlic myself.

I don’t have to worry about vampires now. And really, that is a load off my mind.

Comments

1. Jeanne says:

“no responses yet”

that’s what it says at the end of your story

because really, how can anyone respond?

I wish you peace, love and clean laundry…..

2. Beth says:

That is often how my day lands. The spilled spice/milk/hotchocolate mix/green decorating sugar and the like can be the “straw that breaks..”. Somehow, this isn’t that comforting is it? To explain to my husband how my day went becomes, becomes…like the game of “Life”.

3. suburbancorrespondent says:

Yes, what is it about the dreaded social clumping, as I call it? It almost seems a physical law, akin to entropy or gravity or something.

4. Crisanne says:

Though I know you meant a load “off” your mind, it is sort of a load of your mind too! :)

This is just the sort of thing that happens to me. I have this little mental calendar running through my mind all the time that keeps things in order most days. Until it goes into freak out mode and plans everything for the same day. So fun.

5. Anna says:

Yum…garlic. And at least you didn’t completely forget about and *miss* the show…so… You get to go to a show tomorrow…fun!

6. Darcie says:

Why is it that you can have nothing to do for weeks or months on end and then everyone wants to do something on the same day? Hope you enjoy the theater.

7. bombaygirl says:

Ha! Too funny. You can’t make this stuff up, can you! I hope you found the tickets. I always have a special spot where I put tickets, etc. for events coming up months later, and then I always forget where that special spot was. Never fails.

8. Julia says:

Oh, my- you are one busy lady on a Wednesday :)
    Some years ago my husband had purchased a PDA in hopes of becoming more organized with it, he had such wonderful plans for it. It turned out that this “helpful gadget” required tons of work to sync it and to keep everything on it current, so now it works only as an alarm….

9. jen says:

Whew! I was worried about the vampires getting to you!

And really, what better way to see if that mystery allergenic ingredient is garlic! You go girl! :)

10. Ardi says:

Sounds more like my life, I have nothing to all the week and then suddenly I have a bunch projects in my hand I can’t sleep for 4 hours in 3 days.

11. Clare says:

Oh no Chris!! There must have been something about the 17th of Jan!
    Hope you find the tickets and I am relieved to know you will survive another vampire free day :)

12. Clare says:

Ahem, sorry make that the 16th, lol, I am in AUS and a day ahead. Oh I am also 38 weeks pregnant. Is that enough exceuses? lol

13. Victoria says:

What if the vampires make an appointment for not tomorrow?

14. Tracy says:

Never rains, it pours… I can barely manage with 2 kids, kudos for managing all yours! And that you remembered that you had bought tickets months ago - I’m impressed!

15. Carolyn says:

Really? You said “shit”? GAWD… I was already to send you some Brasso to polish that halo of yours. Welcome to motherhood…and the world of a thousand “shits”. LOL

16. Lazy Organizer says:

This is why I sleep with my planner and it goes everywhere else with me too. I can’t remember things for two minutes let alone two days.

17. Stephanie says:

Oh Chris, you are living a life! Hang in there!
    Know that I, too, am enjoying a diet of chicken and white rice while eliminating allergenic foods.
    At least you know you will be free of vampires.

18. penny says:

I dont usually leave a comment as I find it hard to be succinct!! Last sentence really says it all!!

You see, it really is all in the mind:- the tickets arriving for the show last whenever place a subliminal alert in your brain to remind you on about 10th jan of what is going to happen on 17th jan! Life being what it is and so full of stuff (big and small) Way, way too much more information is then added = overload = something falls out of the back of the brain!! Your accepting the trip to the museum then also the dentist and art classes are the automatic alert response malfunctioning!! I suppose it isnt helpful to know this (its just more stuff) and I shouldnt really find comfort in the fact that I am not the only one this happens to!! My eldest is 21 now, then 18, 17 and 9 and only having 6 peoples schedules to manage in a diary and on a “family organiser” (which should be renamed under the trade descriptions act as it doesnt!) is beyond me!!

Kudos to you for being together enough to blog!!

19. Melissa White says:

I’m not the only mom of 7 who has days like that! At least once a day my 2 year-old twins spill something like the garlic Miles did. And I overbook like you at least once a week even though I have a Treo phone with calendars/email etc. Oh well, it keeps things exciting and that’s just what us moms of 7 need - more excitement!

20. All Adither says:

You have a lot going on today. Whew! Glad I only have a kindergarten tour, a playdate and a web design class.

21. cristen says:

I also enjoyed the typo an the end…
    So glad you are feeling better! We were a bit worried about you (and I think I can speak for “us”).

Oh boy do I hear you! Somehow I have a tendency to think that the Wednesday I am supposed to help at school, the 16th that I scheduled a doctor’s appointment, the Wednesday I have writer’s group and the Wednesday of my SIL’s housewarming somehow do not intersect. I plan all activities knowing full well that they are all on Wednesday or the 16th and it doesn’t occur to me that they are all on the SAME DAY! ACK! I hear you.

And the garlic? Just bathe in some cream and sprinkle on some parmesan cheese and call yourself alfredo!

23. Pam says:

You need the Desktop Software program and a USB cable to support your CrackBerry habit. (I don’t have a busy schedule like you but I do love that task program on my BlackBerry, it’s like post it notes with a due date)

24. Elizabeth says:

That whole post was great, but what caught my eye was boiled chicken and white rice. I am going to the allergist tomorrow and living in fear that this will be my fate, too. But, I’m miserable enough to try anything that will relieve the symptoms.

My Jan. 24th was like your today. So, I cancelled two things so I could do the third, and then the third thing was cancelled. I left it empty.

25. Wendy says:

My husband keeps telling me that my life will be so great when I can get a phone that will organize all my appts and allow me to search the web. First, I don’t think I can learn how to do all those things, when I just learned how to use the camera on my dinosaur of a phone. I can’t even make a call on his Blackberry. Second, will I be able to make a phone call and will it not drop as soon as I get to the most important of the conversation?

Personally, I would be happy with some string and a tin can.

26. ashley says:

sorry your having such a bad day, I hope it get better.

27. fidget says:

It’s always nice to cross something off your to do list, especially something so time consuming like vampire fretting

28. Maine Mom says:

I hope you find those tickets!

This could be why I still use the old fashioned calendar. Everything goes on the calendar and I just need a pen and calendar to keep track of things…not that I remember everything!

What did your husband think of your new smell???

29. Mary W says:

Our day like that is next weekend. We have six places to be.

30. Suzanne says:

Hey, at least you seem to not be allergic to garlic :-)

31. Redneck Mommy says:

When that happens to me (and sadly it does…just not that often because I am generally too busy hiding in the pantry to make any plans) I tend to bag out and plead sick and avoid everything.

Which would be why I have no social obligations…hmmm…mystery solved.

32. Michelle says:

Tried the PDA, but the software didn’t like my computer. Tried the phone calendar, but the phone is never charged. Tried the giant calendar on the fridge, never changed the months. Tried the magnetic wipe board, which is covered in all sorts of stuff, but not dates. I just bought a $2.99 2 year wallet size calendar, at that place you can’t go anymore. Let’s see how many places I am supposed to be on Saturday.

33. Beth says:

Ooh, what show? Sounds fun!

34. Melissa says:

Garlic! Yummy…..Last week when I was catching up on my blog reading, my youngest opened my big tub of flour and proceeded to dump it all over my kitchen floor. Literally, in that one corner, no floor was visible. I came downstairs to find him sitting in it- he looked at me and said “mommy, it’s snowing”. I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. At least the garlic leaves a nice odor as well-LOL.

35. Sports Mum says:

At least you remembered before it all happened…last night I completely forgot that I promised to bring my friend’s two sons home from wrestling practice! I picked up my son and merrily headed over to my other son’s basketball practice. Then she called my cell phone, “Did you forget something?” Worst part - she had only asked me two hours before!