Links and more links

Links and more links

January 31, 2008

agranola2

This shit is GOOOOOOOD.

My post is also up over at Parenting.

This year at my son’s gymnastics lessons there are four of us who sit and talk every week. Sometimes it will be a funny story about one of our kids. Sometimes a story about our husbands. We discuss our various jobs. I know their ages, their children’s ages, where they themselves fall in the birth order of their families, what they hate most about their houses, even their stances on immunizations and medications. I know who had natural childbirth and who begged for the epidural in their last trimester. I know who has lost family members to cancer.

My husband always laughs when I come home with stories about women that I hardly know and talk to only one hour once a week. He jokes that I know more about my new “friend” than he knows about his best friend, whom he has known since elementary school. And that was a long LONG time ago, for those of you who are counting.

Now I am trying to convince my children that granola IS a dinner food. And convince myself that driving to gymnastics for 7:30 pm lessons, that I affectionately call middle of the night gymnastics, is what I feel like doing after a long day. I am failing on both accounts.

Comments

1. divrchk says:

Are the blogs down at Parenting? I can’t seem to get there…

2. suburbancorrespondent says:

Evening activities - I hate them. 7:30 is when everyone should be getting ready for bed. I have nothing left to give at that hour.

3. Jaybird says:

That sounds so nice. My son has practice on Wednesday nights and mostly I sit and look for any exposing buttons on the Stepfords that come there to drop off their snowflakes.

4. Mary Tsao says:

7:30! I’d be there in my slippers and jammies.

Sounds worth it for the friends, though.

Chris says: Oh, I have been tempted. We don’t arrive home until 9pm. That is the middle of the night in my I-have-no-life book.

5. Stephanie in AR says:

We do the same thing for ballet classes for the past 13 years. It is so strange to watch marriages when only yesterday they were trying to turn without falling down. Somehow it is easier to talk to someone you don’t have to look at everyday, at least if you stick your foot in your mouth there is a week to loose the rosy red glow.

6. t in hd says:

7:30 PM?? Wow. Don’t tell my kids. They have to be in bed by 7:30 PM. Sounds cruel, I know, but they have to get up at 6:30 AM (stupid school–not my choice!).

7. Girlymom4 says:

I am not looking forward to the days I mean nights of those practices. I am spoiled right now because they are young enough they still get the earlier slots. I love your quote about getting to know the women. I have been thinking about switching dance studios for the kids next year and one of my hang ups is the mom’s I have met…I need to convine them to all go with me, yeah that’s it! :)

8. Lovebabz says:

I so feel you. On Wednesdays it is piano lessons at 4:00 for all 4 kids then at 5:45 it’s off to Basketball for the 2 older kids–but the 2 youngers have to go too. So I pack dinner before I pick them up at school at 2:15. Stopping home is just a pit stop to unload junk, arrange homework and roll out. The good thing about being separated from their father–really helps with division of wrangling children.

9. Another Susan says:

I can’t for the life of me convince my almost 6 year old that pancakes - the frozen kind - can indeed be a dinner food. He refuses to believe. Thankfully though, his 3 year old brother loves the idea!

Neither of my boys are in an activity right now but I feel your pain. A 7:30pm anything for kids on a weeknight is late!

10. Chandra says:

I love granola, fruit and yogurt. We use frozen blueberries (they thaw fast), strawberries and banana’s. Delicious! And it totally counts as a dinner :)

11. evie says:

Granola is definitely a dinner food. Especially, if there are cookies for dessert.

12. Hippo Brigade says:

That is the most fantastic photo of granola I have ever seen!