Family

Family

February 2, 2008

Family

Looking for songs on iTunes. Moments later there was table dancing. Moments after that tears, because the table is pretty high to fall from. Moments after that laughter, because whenever anyone gets hurt the drama has to be re-enacted until the crier also sees the humor in his pain.

Maybe this is why I take myself so seriously. I had no siblings to convince me to laugh at myself when I was down.

Comments

1. Christy says:

Oh now, that’s rich! At times like that I think it might be great to have a house full of kids…then I remember the part about being pregnant. I didn’t like that part so much.

Your family is so beautiful!

2. bombaygirl says:

so cute to see all of them (minus one) together!

3. Alissa says:

you’re only minus one kid in that picture… impressive!

4. arduous says:

What a beautiful picture. Any pics of the table dancing? :)

5. Chandra says:

And it will never stop Chris. I can attest to that. My sibs and I are now in our 20’s and 30’s and we still do not cut each other any slack. I love it!

6. Heather's Garden says:

What is it about shopping for music on iTunes that brings a family together? My husband and I have noticed that the boys (my step-sons aged 17 and 21) are most animated and talkative when the four of us are huddled around the computer listening to and downloading new music. I guess it is the common ground that we all share.

BTW, it’s shots like this that make me envy you your children — and that from a woman who has never wanted any of her own!

7. jm says:

I am only counting 6 offspring and 1 spouse. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE SEVENTH ONE? Was he used as the guinea pig for testing the downed cable yesterday?

Confess.

8. Nicole says:

How is it that siblings can always find the humor in the pain?

9. Catherine says:

No siblings AND 7 kids? How did you know you were ready for such raucous fun? I’m an only too. We have two. I have no idea what it is that these kids could mean to one another. But I do know that A ADORES her big brother.

Oh! I read you so religiously your family made it into my dream world. I was visiting you (YAY!). We were going to take a glass bottom airplane ride and I forgot my camera. All your kids had their cameras. I asked Miles if I could use his, he said no & laughed. So, I went back to your house to get mine but the housekeeper was cleaning the floors and wouldn’t let me in!

10. cheryl says:

People don’t know what they’re missing!! We’ve had so much fun with our 7 girls, even now that they are mostly adults!! Interesting what they find hilarious…Still!

11. Anna says:

You’re family is so beautiful! Lucky lady.

12. Antique Mommy says:

I love it when you post pictures of all your kids together because it’s amazing how they all look so different yet there is that common thread. To have so many siblings would be an amazing, agonizing, comforting, agonizing, wonderful thing.

13. B says:

My son is an only child (not by choice…his our ours) and your words struck a chord with me. He does take himself pretty seriously, and I know this must have contributed to it. Wish there were something I could do, but it’s probably not the parent’s place to make fun of him when he’s down. Is it?!

Chris says: Hahaha. No, I don’t think so. I also think that is why oldest children in the family take themselves more seriously than the younger children.

14. Stephanie says:

What a sweet family. That is a great picture and will bring back many good memories for your family in the future, well, at least I think so!

Stephanie

That is an amazing photo. Made me smile this morning.

16. steph says:

print out this post and hand it any of those nosy strangers that ask annoying ?’s abt your kids. Just photoshop the missing one in

17. carrie says:

You have a great family!

18. Crisanne says:

My first thought when you said the part about taking yourself to seriously was- Your the mother, at least someone in the house should take you seriously! Or maybe that’s just how it is at my house.

I love the comment that perhaps the 7th child was your guinea pig with the cable! I’m sure they all follow one another from room to room, never leaving one behind to do something on his own.

I laugh just imagining the reenactment. I was the baby of the family (by far — next closest was 9.5 years older), and got teased mercilessly. However, it did teach me to laugh at myself and find the humor in everything, so I guess it’s all good.

You’ve got a great family. I am envious of your having so many to love!

20. Victoria says:

I’m going to call my siblings right now to tell them I need more making fun of.

Made fun of more?

21. mike golch says:

I hope that you are haveing a great day.I have two younger sibling and they don’t take me seriously,Oh well at least my better half takes me seriously,as I take her seriously as well.I guess that why we have been together 28 years on 03/01/08

22. Jen says:

LOL So true! I just love when they “hurt” themselves to make the crying one laugh!

23. Jenn A, says:

I am kind of new to reading your blog and I kept thinking your (3 or so) kids just looked different from day to day! Wow…7 kids…you are so blessed! BUSY MOMMA!!! I will keep you in my prayers. :)
    BTW, the Comcastic! post had me laughing out loud-I can totally relate to their (lack of) customer service! Glad they got the cable fixed. We’ve been in our new house for 11 months and they still cannot get ours working right. haha

24. Kris says:

Now THAT should be your next Christmas card pic. There’s no way you’ll get everyone in one picture looking that cute at the same time…EVER AGAIN. (Ok, minus one, I know, but wow!)

25. Elizabeth says:

Seeing all your kids together (minus one) with your husband in the photo, and knowing what you look like, I can see just how each of your kids has characteristics of both of you. There’s no doubt they are all siblings! And good-looking, too :)

26. Erin says:

I love the look on Miles’ face!