Fathers

Fathers

February 2, 2008

Comfort

I scolded my daughter last night before bedtime when we all went upstairs and I discovered that she had trashed her room. Clothes, toys, books, make-up… everywhere.

She cried and ran to her Daddy, who dropped everything he was carrying to hug her. He told her not to cry, he would help her clean up. Somehow it ended up being me who did the cleaning up, but the moment was so sweet between the two of them. He is tender with her in a way that I don’t see with the boys.

*****

Because I am a lemming, I joined the 30 tiny moments pool at flickr, a place to capture and celebrate the small moments that make up your life.

*****

The wire has been fixed. I have no idea when they came and did it because none of us saw or heard them. So evidently it was between 12pm and 7am this morning.

Comments

1. Penelope Anne says:

It particularly has to be fathers and daughters, they don’t tend to react the same way to their sons I have found.

2. jody says:

This picture is so amazing and sweet. I am so glad we had little girls so we could see our husbands with them.

3. Kimberly says:

My husband is the same way. He can be rough and tough (with our girls- no boys yet!) and/or with their friends (mostly boys) one moment and soft and tender in the next. He ABSOLUTELY LOVES his girls and it shows.

4. mike golch says:

for some reason fathers and daughters connect better that boys do.
    the thing that I will always treasure is when my neice allisan would be over with my parents,you could see a softer sid on my Dad.He just loved his Granddaughter.

5. K says:

Your photograph and few short sentences brought tears to my eyes. I wish I had that type of dad. I hope to have that type of husband. Thank you for sharing.

6. Caren Story says:

My husband is the same way with my daughters…we dont have any boys, but I know that if we did, he definately wouldnt be the same way…one time I babysat a little boy, and he tripped and wrenched his ankle. My husband told him to buck up and not be a baby!! I couldnt believe it! The kid was only 2! So I hugged him and was nice and tender to him…:)

7. Debbie says:

I have a picture like that of our daughter (a only child) at that age with her Dad and one when he was ready to walk her down the aisle. I get misty eyed every time I look at it. Daughters and Dad’s have a unique bond. Another great moment you have captured to share with us!

8. Mrs. F.P. says:

While my husband is a great father, the picture made me think about what a wonderful dad I have. While my mom was a raving lunatic — sort of like myself — my dad is the constant voice of reason. How I wish I was more like him.

When I was a chihld and would break or ruin something, my mom was always more concerned with what was broken. My dad always asked if I was okay first, then would proceed to to tell me “Just as long as you’re okay, we can always replace things, we can never replace you”. You know what — I’m going to give my dad a call.

9. MamaGeph says:

Okay, now how did you get them to color coordinate their outfits to the room before sharing a tender moment?!

Chris says: Hahaha. I didn’t even notice that.

We have boys, so I don’t get to see that tender side in my husband too often. But I know it’s there.

By the way, if you feel like Spreadin’ the Love, I spread some to you on my blog.

11. Nextcommercial says:

Aww. My dad was never like that. He would have said something like “Suck it up cryer” and walked away.

I like how he is color coordinated with her walls.

I LOVE her tights! Where do you find cute tights and dresses like that? I’m pretty sure they don’t sell those in Arizona.

Chris says: That’s because you don’t need tights in Arizona, do you? Just rub it in ;-) Truthfully I am fairly certain they came from The Children’s Place.

What a BEAUTIFUL picture. It’s almost like a real-life Norman Rockwell shot. You should submit it to a photo contest, Chris…

13. Maria says:

Wow, that made my cry right here.

14. bombaygirl says:

super cute. and touching.

15. Chandra says:

I absolutely love this shot!

16. OMSH says:

OH, oh oh oh…be still my heart.

17. Norma says:

She looks so tiny. Also, do walk around with the camera slung across your shoulder? Just wondering.

18. Cary says:

See you are way cooler than I. I would be thinking, “Don’t undermine this situation.” I would of course realize in that moment that I would be cleaning the room for the third time that day. I just need to choose to walk away from my own PMS sometimes.

19. tibby says:

What a wonderful picture! There is something special between little girls and their dads, and it just grows stronger as we grow older. Your picture really captures that. And have I told you before how much I love your blog!? Thanks for sharing your life, and being such a good photographer!

20. carrie says:

That is so sweet. I know that if I want anything, all I have to do is ask Katie to ask Daddy and say, “pretty please with a cherry on top,” and he melts like butter.

Norma, I wondered the same thing. So did my husband. He said, “I wonder if she makes them reenact moments for the camera–you know, the way you do with us.” LOL!!!

(What? That’s not NORMAL?!)

How sweet. What a lovely picture.

23. She-Ra says:

Maybe they were the same cable guys that were outside my house at 3 a.m. a few weeks ago. The truck woke me up then I couldn’t go back to sleep for two hours. And it wasn’t even for us… we just happen to be lucky enough to live next to the pole.

24. jen says:

That’s an adorable photo - am impressed you whipped out your camera at that precise moment (is it surgically attached, Chris?!!)

I was so glad to have a girl (2nd time) as my husband is such a loving father, and I really wanted for my daughter what I didn’t have with my father (last heard from last February - I think!). I can already see how much he does on her and she him - it’s such a special bond.

25. jen says:

Dotes. I meant dotes, not does. Doh ;)

26. Kris says:

That’s because Daddies are often pushovers, while Mommies get to be the bad guys.

Still, it’s one of those “awww” moments.

27. Girlymom4 says:

What a sweet moment in time!

28. Therese says:

Oh, Chris, you are in trouble! Princess has already figured how to work her feminine wiles on the unsuspecting male dad.